ORION is creating its own "METRICS MONSTERS" and the DM's are unhappy?

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
rubbish,if you communicate with your management team early in the day regarding possible service failures,missed pick ups etc you have placed the ball in their court and as I have been told more than once "management's job is to manage the work"
your arse will be covered.
WHY am i telling YOU of all people this? you have been around far long enough to know this. You simply dont want to change the way you run your route <shrug>
In my center doing what you are doing would be a clear violation of Working as Directed and not representing the best interests of the Company
rubbish...classic

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a truck that had a bad back door where the rollers kept popping off the track. I always carried a screwdriver to pop in back on the track. Eventually they replaced the track when they replaced the door (from one of old heavy doors to a newer lightweight door).
The darn strap is too short, when I put it up it pulls the one side, so the other side gets crooked. Didnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out, and that was not me anyway, it was the garage door guy. So I relayed the message, and there was a problem in the door handle, fix the dam thing, been throwing my shoulder out for weeks, wait, OH NO could it be, My shoulder really hurts tonight.

jaker

trolling
We just got orion and im confused about something. It still has the list of the next 8 stops on the screen. I was expecting the current stop in giant letters then after that one is completed the next one pops up. Why do i need to see the next 8 stops or be able to scroll through the list? Seems like a waste and i could save time having the current stop in big letters to read faster. I will be following it 100% anyway so do not need to see anything but the current stop
It does that so you can see the stop that you will drive by 4 times before you deliver it

kingOFchester

. Clearly you think others should conform to your extra money making scheme. .

Clearly you are wrong. I do not care if anyone here on BC conforms to company directive. By pointing out what has happened to me by just following directions, certainly isn't me pushing an agenda.

Scheme??? Hahahahah. You are a hoot!! No scheme at all. Just following the orders of my employer.

Scheme.......now that is funny!!

otizanig

how does orion expect me to turn around in driveways with a 1200, on a intercity street where my truck is longer than the street is wide. insane.

jaker

trolling
how does orion expect me to turn around in driveways with a 1200, on a intercity street where my truck is longer than the street is wide. insane.
That a reality problem Orion doesn't care about reality , to Orion the streets are wide as can be and u turns can be done on the first time ( hence why backing was never bought up ) there are no people , no cars or any problems in Orion worlds except pickups and that's why it fails when trying to figure pickups

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Clearly you are wrong. I do not care if anyone here on BC conforms to company directive. By pointing out what has happened to me by just following directions, certainly isn't me pushing an agenda.

Scheme??? Hahahahah. You are a hoot!! No scheme at all. Just following the orders of my employer.

Scheme.......now that is funny!!
If ORION works for you and you feel that following it is the better choice for your particular situation then its certainly not my place to argue with that.

The only disagreement I have is the part where you say "just following the orders of my employer."

By your own admission they are not telling you to follow it 100%, they are demanding a compliance rate of 85% or better while still holding YOU accountable for any service failures that may occur.

My entire point is that demanding a compliance rate of 85% or better is an invalid directive. They cant have it both ways. They cant demand that we generate some arbitrary, made-up compliance metric while at the same time demanding that we make service on everything. They cant force us to be intentionally stupid 85% of the time and then expect us to turn our brains back on for the remaining 15% in order to salvage the route for them.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you have a backing accident from trying to follow ORION which do you think would be more important to UPS? 85% ORION compliance or the accident?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you have a backing accident from trying to follow ORION which do you think would be more important to UPS? 85% ORION compliance or the accident?

Unfortunately, thats what it will take for UPS to change its mind on ORION. A pile of backing accidents and a ton of managers saying "i didnt know that was happening".

The first time a child is killed when a P12 is making a U-turn in the middle of a residential street on a school day is when UPS will realize THEY are making the job unsafe, of course, that is, after blaming the driver first.

TOS.

kingOFchester

Unfortunately, thats what it will take for UPS to change its mind on ORION. A pile of backing accidents and a ton of managers saying "i didnt know that was happening".

The first time a child is killed when a P12 is making a U-turn in the middle of a residential street on a school day is when UPS will realize THEY are making the job unsafe, of course, that is, after blaming the driver first.

TOS.

I don't understand the need to back? Orion does not communicate to me and tell me to back. It simply tells me where the next stop is. If I have to go around the block to get to the next stop, that is what i will do.

kingOFchester

If ORION works for you and you feel that following it is the better choice for your particular situation then its certainly not my place to argue with that.

The only disagreement I have is the part where you say "just following the orders of my employer."

By your own admission they are not telling you to follow it 100%, they are demanding a compliance rate of 85% or better while still holding YOU accountable for any service failures that may occur.

My entire point is that demanding a compliance rate of 85% or better is an invalid directive. They cant have it both ways. They cant demand that we generate some arbitrary, made-up compliance metric while at the same time demanding that we make service on everything. They cant force us to be intentionally stupid 85% of the time and then expect us to turn our brains back on for the remaining 15% in order to salvage the route for them.

We all have our battles. We all decide what is worth fighting for and what is not worth fighting for. I find it easier and better for me to follow Orion as I have been instructed.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We all have our battles. We all decide what is worth fighting for and what is not worth fighting for. I find it easier and better for me to follow Orion as I have been instructed.

Thats what you should have said from the jump instead of talking about contractual obligations and such.

Just say, "i do what i am told and i never go against the grain"

TOS.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I don't understand the need to back? Orion does not communicate to me and tell me to back. It simply tells me where the next stop is. If I have to go around the block to get to the next stop, that is what i will do.

You do realize that the layout of streets isnt the same for all of us, right?

You may be able to go "around the block" to get to a stop you passed up, but some of us cannot.

In dense residential areas (like mine) to go around "could" add 2 miles by the time I completed the manuever.

The windshield time alone would wipe out my day. If you did this for every ORION miscalculation, and it took 5 minutes for each drive around, that would waste close to 2 hours of my day. (errors multiplied by 5 minutes)

ORION, for example, does this to my streets.

I drive down street A and come to a T (street B). I can either go left or right. The numbers are like this.. To the left, they start on the right hand side as 26902 through 26944, i hit the culdesac and start at 26945 and back to 26901.

After I recross the intersecting street I just came off, i proceed on street B to 19978 through 19960 make a right turn onto another culdesac (street C) and do 19959 through 19973, turn and do 19974 through 19940, then make a right turn onto the street i just came off. I start again on the right hand side and pick up at 19940 and do the street on both sides all the way down to 19701.

ORION, has it figured out completely different.

It has me driving down street A, but making NO DELIVERIES, then it makes me make a right turn and go almost to the end of the road on street B to 19826 and do 1 stop. Then it wants me to go back the other way to street A and do 3 stops, then turn around and go back to street B and begin at 19940 through 19904, then turning around again and going to street C to clear the culdesac, then out of the neighborhood completely and onto another section of the route 2.5 mile away.

I dont get to complete this section, and will not only redrive on these streets two more times, but I will complete this section after 7pm whereas ORION has me there at 1pm.

Now, I dont know how ORION is calculating your route, but if it was like this, i am sure you would have different thoughts.

There are no go arounds for me. I have to three point turn in the middle of the street to go in the opposite direction or travel to the end of the block and make a U turn in an intersection leading out of the neighborhood.

How this is safe is beyond ridiculous.

TOS.

kingOFchester

"...as I have been instructed." should have been replaced with ".... because I'm making allot of extra money."

Sent using BrownCafe App

I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Resorting to these types of tactics do very little to support your argument. It gives the impression that you have nothing else to stand on. Or at the least your argument is weak.

Working as instructed = more money. Am I suppose to ignore the fact that Orion has caused my paid day go up? I am certainly not going to apologize for making more money by following instructions. Why do you care if I follow Orion? Why do you care if I make more money as a result of following Orion? Is it because you want more people to fight the "man" and go against their instructions? Do You feel this will make the union stronger? I could give a rats behind what you do. I could careless whether your decisions or even disregard for instructions cause you to make more or less money.

I find it intriguing you are so bent up over me following Orion. Seem to have your panties in a bunch because I expressed the fact that their horrendous decision to implement Orion is actually causing me to do less work for more money. I find that comical.

If I go in tomorrow, and they tell me I do not need to follow Orion and it is my choice to follow it, I would certainly go back to delivering the way i have since I began. So, obviously it isn't about money. If it were about money, I would of long long long ago played the game a good percentage of the drivers in my center play. Such as never delivering airs with grounds. Making sure that I am far away from my pickups when it is time to do pickups. I would of been sure to milk the clock. But I never payed those games even tho I could of made more money. I was sent out with the expectation to work smart and run the trip efficiently, which is what I did everyday. Me following Orion is about showing them that it will cost them time and money by directing me to follow it. Until I am told that I do not have to follow it, I will enjoy the fruits of their decision to direct me to follow Orion.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The bottom line is accountability.

If I have service failures due to following ORION and the company issued the warning letter to ORION, I would have no problem with that.

They arent going to give the warning letter to ORION though. They are going to give it to ME.

The buck stops here, so as long as my ass is on the line its my ass that will be making the decisions, not ORION.

kingOFchester

The bottom line is accountability.

If I have service failures due to following ORION and the company issued the warning letter to ORION, I would have no problem with that.

They arent going to give the warning letter to ORION though. They are going to give it to ME.

The buck stops here, so as long as my ass is on the line its my ass that will be making the decisions, not ORION.
Very valid points. Haven't ran into this issue as of yet. First few days I had to have work taken off do to the risk of not making air trailer or having missed pieces. I gave the office the information and allowed them to make the decision on whether I miss the air trailer, missed pieces, or send help. The runner that is usually done at 3 wasn't to happy.

I could see your above scenario becoming an issue when it has me delivering businesses after 5 when they are closed. Has not happened yet, but certainly could happen. Something to ponder. I would probably send a message "at closed business while following Orion, please advice how to sheet".

some1else

If everybody ran orion like chester (as instructed) orion would be gone tommorow.

Worst thing you can do with a broken system is try to make it look good. Like the idiots that try every dumb thing to make unrealistic backing numbers (rolling with car in neatral etc)

Overpaid Union Thug

I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Resorting to these types of tactics do very little to support your argument. It gives the impression that you have nothing else to stand on. Or at the least your argument is weak.

Working as instructed = more money. Am I suppose to ignore the fact that Orion has caused my paid day go up? I am certainly not going to apologize for making more money by following instructions. Why do you care if I follow Orion? Why do you care if I make more money as a result of following Orion? Is it because you want more people to fight the "man" and go against their instructions? Do You feel this will make the union stronger? I could give a rats behind what you do. I could careless whether your decisions or even disregard for instructions cause you to make more or less money.

I find it intriguing you are so bent up over me following Orion. Seem to have your panties in a bunch because I expressed the fact that their horrendous decision to implement Orion is actually causing me to do less work for more money. I find that comical.

If I go in tomorrow, and they tell me I do not need to follow Orion and it is my choice to follow it, I would certainly go back to delivering the way i have since I began. So, obviously it isn't about money. If it were about money, I would of long long long ago played the game a good percentage of the drivers in my center play. Such as never delivering airs with grounds. Making sure that I am far away from my pickups when it is time to do pickups. I would of been sure to milk the clock. But I never payed those games even tho I could of made more money. I was sent out with the expectation to work smart and run the trip efficiently, which is what I did everyday. Me following Orion is about showing them that it will cost them time and money by directing me to follow it. Until I am told that I do not have to follow it, I will enjoy the fruits of their decision to direct me to follow Orion.

I haven't put words in your mouth as there hasn't been any need to do so. You have been doing a pretty good job of clearly showing that the words were already there. And I'm not bent up over you following ORION. I'm not even bent over for your reason for continuing to follow ORION instead of in a manner that is more efficient. Hell, I even said more power to you on that regard. What I do think is odd is that your monetary gain is what you have continuously used as your argument against those that simply want to be more efficient. Someone mentioned that if everyone did it your way ORION would be gone soon. That is true but it would cost the company (that we all work for) millions. Now, it doesn't take a company man to realize that that is a dumb move. Why would anyone that cares about their jobs want that? Even the most bitter employee that plans on retiring some day shouldn't want UPS to lose millions simply because everyone passed up an opportunity to show the bean counters that their ideas don't work by doing things our way (more efficient) because they decided to follow a ridiculous "directive" or make more money.