ORION (On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation) Wins Prestigious Award

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Daughter nis getting married Saturday. I will leave you a doggie bag in the cooler on the front porch.

Once again, I'm happy I have all boys. Easier on our savings. Lol. Congratulations and all the best. If Dave is driving through PA then he needs a proper cheesesteak to go with the pizza and BBQ. I'm thinking Jims on south street in Philly.

Maybe after that, he will be normal on here.

I know , crazy right ?

Re-Raise

We have had it for about 6 months. We laugh at the path it wants us to take in the morning on the computer screens.

I told the Skynet guy, this is what time I am going to be at these stops. If you want me to hit some percentage of compliance you can set it up that way.

Re-Raise

The biggest problem I see with the program is that it can only work with absolutes.

As drivers familiar with our routes we have a running clock in our heads based on many factors that could never be inputted into a computer.

For example, I can look at my day and plan my path in a way which allows me to be near all of my air stops before commit time. Skynet takes me out into the country and then panics about an hour before commit time and has me deadhead to them wasting a lot more miles than they are saving.

I beat the miles every day doing my route the same way I have always done it.

Overpaid Union Thug

The biggest problem I see with the program is that it can only work with absolutes.

As drivers familiar with our routes we have a running clock in our heads based on many factors that could never be inputted into a computer.

For example, I can look at my day and plan my path in a way which allows me to be near all of my air stops before commit time. Skynet takes me out into the country and then panics about an hour before commit time and has me deadhead to them wasting a lot more miles than they are saving.

I beat the miles every day doing my route the same way I have always done it.

I used it yesterday for the first time this week. For once it was actually set up kinda close to how I would run it but only because I didn't have as much air as I normally do so I was able to knock out lots of ground. I was still several miles over. I guess I didn't back in enough driveways. LOL! Normally it expects me to be able to deliver so much more with my NDAs then is physically possible. And is also so out of order and has me passing stops for no reason.

trickpony1

The BOG is an imaginary place in space and time that is believed to be in upper NY state.
It is believed to be inhabited by butterflies, unicorns, lollipops and sunshine.
It is also believed to have one human who reigns all of the BOG.
It is said that one person is a UPS driver named Upstate.
Also known as the Bubble of Goodness (BOG).

Last edited:

billerz

What I still don't understand about Orion is why did ups spend so much time and money to develop this system, and then my on roads tell me to turn it off when they are teaching me a route...

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In my center some routes will earn you a Warning Letter if you DONT follow ORION,and some routes will earn you a Warning Letter if you DO follow ORION <shrug> it makes no difference to me

billerz

On the route I normally do Orion is basically the same as edd, so it really makes no difference so I just leave it on and run the area the way I want.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my center some routes will earn you a Warning Letter if you DONT follow ORION,and some routes will earn you a Warning Letter if you DO follow ORION <shrug> it makes no difference to me

So....hit the metric but without sabotaging the route? LOL! You'd think that having to tell people that running it at 100% is sabotage would throw up some red flags and MAYBE they'd figure out that their new thingy doesn't work.