Orion, PAS, & EDD!....

JL 0513

I can't imagine how the job was done before electronics. Unless you only got 1/3 the stops.

For those that have been driving before 1991, how was the job done with paper?
More importantly, how were the packages loaded? With no PAS/EDD, was their some predetermined order? Did the driver have to sort through a mess everyday and arrange is route from scratch?

upschuck

I can't imagine how the job was done before electronics. Unless you only got 1/3 the stops.

More importantly, how were the packages loaded? With no PAS/EDD, was their some predetermined order? Did the driver have to sort through a mess everyday and arrange is route from scratch?
Preload had charts on the back of each PC, so each day the packages for a certain stop were loaded in the same spot. Stop counts were solely up to the preloader to count. Add/cuts were moved from one truck within preloaders PC's to another one of theirs.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Hahahaha!

UPSGUY72

I got sent to another building last week for a day went out with a SUP to show me a new route and he wasn't worried a bit about following the EDD/ Orion. They have had Orion in the building for about 2 years.

By The Book

Hahahaha!
In my tour with this company I worked as a loader in 88/89 timeframe. We looked up the streets on charts alphabetically and put numbers on them with a crayon type pen. We loaded them low to high usually, and sometimes odd addresses were loaded high to low. As a driver you manually sorted your truck a lot more and a good loader was treated well. If we didn't have today's technology, and we still recorded packages on 50 liners with a pen we would have probably 30 percent more routes on. Man how times have changed! I will say, being old school, it does seem harder now for new guys to become drivers.

PT Car Washer

Driver sups or center manager came around and recorded the stop counts before drivers came in. Preloader had to be within 5 stops or was a write up. Only time I saw a fake wall was in trailers. Loader would build a wall 5 feet or so out and then just chuck boxes over it instead of building tier walls.

PT Car Washer

Loaders would build fake walks because they knew the sups only looked through the backs of the okg cars.

It was much easier to create stops on paper.
I believe that about creating stops on paper. Once in a while driver sups or center manager would go thru the package car and write down most of the stops in a section to compare to what the drivers recorded. Drivers would know common shipper numbers like JC Penny and create stops.

Z

ZQXC

Loaders would build fake walks because they knew the sups only looked through the backs of the okg cars.

It was much easier to create stops on paper.

Must be a NY thing.

I loaded trucks for many years. I have never made, seen, or even heard of a fake wall in a truck.

Stops counts were recorded on a mechanical counter screwed to the edge of the shelf near the rear of the truck. Recently, after taking a package into my truck at the end of the sort (on the clock) I reached up with my right hand exactly where that counter would have been located.

PT Car Washer

I have seen the mechanical counters you describe but we used a stop count sheet taped to a plate at the back of the PC. Kept track with a big crayon by five's. So for all the new preloaders wondering why there is a plate between the 7000 and 8000 shelves there is your answer.

oldngray

nowhere special
We used those mechanical counters. Most package cars had them mounted on back shelf, or they would just sit on back shelf when preloader was working. They broke constantly and weren't always accurate.

PT Car Washer

Preloaders were paid about 50 cents an hour less then drivers and given the time to do the job right. No misloads, stop for stop order, irregs and bulk stops loaded on the floor. Can not believe todays preload. and all for $10.00/hr and no benefits. Double shifters are making bank working the preload in my building. I am making bank running misloads.

JL 0513

Thanks guys for the info. Interesting history lesson.

I just see no way you could go out with 350 packages bricked out and run a route without a DIAD and the systematic PAS/EDD system we use today.

For those that say we shouldn't be doing the volume we're doing per driver, well today's economics are a much different story than up through the '80's. Shipping would cost a fortune if drivers only produced today what they did 30 years ago. The company simply deals with far higher costs to operate today.

Hahahaha!

May I ask what's so funny?

Preloaders were paid about 50 cents an hour less then drivers and given the time to do the job right. No misloads, stop for stop order, irregs and bulk stops loaded on the floor. Can not believe todays preload. and all for $10.00/hr and no benefits. Double shifters are making bank working the preload in my building. I am making bank running misloads.

That's amazing that preloaders made almost as much as drivers. Now, it's less than 1/3 per hour.

Thanks guys for the info. Interesting history lesson.

I just see no way you could go out with 350 packages bricked out and run a route without a DIAD and the systematic PAS/EDD system we use today.

For those that say we shouldn't be doing the volume we're doing per driver, well today's economics are a much different story than up through the '80's. Shipping would cost a fortune if drivers only produced today what they did 30 years ago. The company simply deals with far higher costs to operate today.

May I ask what's so funny?

That's amazing that preloaders made almost as much as drivers. Now, it's less than 1/3 per hour.
I remember my sup saying, better pick up the pace! We aint paying you 19 bucks an hour overtime, to be slow!...lmao

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

There were "alpha" charts hanging over the belt with a list of street names for the entire unit, and every street had a sequence number on it that the preloader would write on each package with a crayon. Every route had a "load chart" that showed where the stops were supposed to be loaded. The preloader was responsible for counting how many stops he loaded in each car and keeping track of them with a clicker.

As a driver, you had no idea how many packages you had for each stop so you really depended on your preloader to do a good job. You left the building without EDD or a manifest of any sort. You tried to get the bulk stops off first and make enough room in the car to sort and line up your stops in delivery order. It was definitely a lot more challenging, but by the same token you weren't being bombarded with DIAD messages or forced to meet different commit times. The job has really changed a lot over the last 26 years.

JL 0513

Back then, drivers must have constantly had to go back to stops and areas to deliver all the missed packages found later. Wow, the inefficiencies were crazy.