ORION + peak =CLUSterMEss

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Things I saw and experienced this peak due to ORION;

We had a peak hire take over 2 hours to do his first 10 residential stops in a tight area because his car was bricked out, ORION was telling him to start on shelf 5, and he didnt have enough common sense to shut the damn thing off.

We had a new driver bring about 40 stops back to the building one night at 9:00; he was supposed to get them out of a pod where they had been dropped, but he was incapable of delivering them because "none of them were in his EDD"

New drivers failed horribly at delivering huge apartment complexes because ORION wasnt telling them what order to deliver the apartments in.

Saw a new driver deliver ALL of his NDA late, and even miss several business stops, because thats what ORION told him to do.

Saw a new driver bring a bunch of stops back because he couldnt get the Google Earth app in his new smart phone to work, and he did not own a freaking map book.

Peak season is and always has been a time when chaos becomes the norm, and many of the typical UPS operational procedures no longer apply. It is a time when experienced drivers need to anticipate problems, be proactive in solving them, and be able to manage themselves rather than counting on overworked and stressed-out office staff to be making all the decisions for them. Its a time when "thinking outside the box" becomes essential. Unfortunately, UPS is now breeding an entire future generation of ORION-bots who are being dumbed down by ORION and EDD to the point where they will be totally unable to function at their jobs without someone or something telling them exactly what to do every moment of the work day.

I feel bad for these drivers; I feel bad for the supervisors of the future who will be forced to micromanage them; and I feel bad for our future customers who will be let down by the substandard "service" that we will provide. I am also damn glad that I will be retired by then!

JL 0513

I can't understand why UPS is implementing a system that goes against their own sectioned ordering system. I hear it re-orders your stops as it constantly re-adjusts in an effort to be more efficient. Not considering that a driver often can get beyond the 1st sections. There's no way I'm getting to the 5000 section anytime before noon on most days. Unless I step over and crush a bunch of packages.

My center is rolling it out soon they said. Curious to see what it does with my route but also afraid of the potential mess.

The delivery order must correspond with the load. Doesn't have to be exact of course as we all change the order of EDD on our own for better efficiency but not as dramatically as Orion seems to be changing things. You can't first determine an optimum load order and then have a system scramble it during the day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Things have to change from the top. Both management and drivers are plan facilitators, both have no power to change things, both aren't responsible for this peaks service failures.

Overpaid Union Thug

We had a peak hire take over 2 hours to do his first 10 residential stops in a tight area because his car was bricked out, ORION was telling him to start on shelf 5, and he didnt have enough common sense to shut the damn thing off.

We had a new driver bring about 40 stops back to the building one night at 9:00; he was supposed to get them out of a pod where they had been dropped, but he was incapable of delivering them because "none of them were in his EDD"

New drivers failed horribly at delivering huge apartment complexes because ORION wasnt telling them what order to deliver the apartments in.

Saw a new driver deliver ALL of his NDA late, and even miss several business stops, because thats what ORION told him to do.

Saw a new driver bring a bunch of stops back because he couldnt get the Google Earth app in his new smart phone to work, and he did not own a freaking map book.

Peak season is and always has been a time when chaos becomes the norm, and many of the typical UPS operational procedures no longer apply. It is a time when experienced drivers need to anticipate problems, be proactive in solving them, and be able to manage themselves rather than counting on overworked and stressed-out office staff to be making all the decisions for them. Its a time when "thinking outside the box" becomes essential. Unfortunately, UPS is now breeding an entire future generation of ORION-bots who are being dumbed down by ORION and EDD to the point where they will be totally unable to function at their jobs without someone or something telling them exactly what to do every moment of the work day.

I feel bad for these drivers; I feel bad for the supervisors of the future who will be forced to micromanage them; and I feel bad for our future customers who will be let down by the substandard "service" that we will provide. I am also damn glad that I will be retired by then!

One of the "ORION Guys" was going around visiting various centers in our district that doesn't have ORION yet. I listened to his BS about how awesome and sweet ORION is and when I told him about various flaws (too many to remember) that have been discussed on here about it he just couldn't believe it. Typical desk jockey.

Did they try and terminate any of the drivers??

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I can't see how anyone would deliver all there air late when Orion will automatically put the air at the top of the list 20 minutes before commit time.

Regardless, I shut Orion off the day they gave me a helper.

Overpaid Union Thug

ORION should only be used if you are on a street delivering an NDA and have time to get some ground off on that street or connecting streets on the way to the next NDA stop. That's my plan anyway.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We are slated to get it in February and I cannot WAIT until its implemented. I will be 100% in trace and love every minute of it.
This is the 'NEW' UPS,and service is not important any longer as the recent Peak has proven that. Rather we are now to focus our attention and energies on meeting Metrics,and being positive on Reports. Who an I as a lowly truck driver to question these geniuses with ME degrees?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A lot of what you mention is just typical seasonals not really Orion fault. Much is management refusing to train anyone also. They thing Orion or eddy either nor make the drivers job a walk in the park.

I can't tell you how many times I heard a driver say I don't know that route. Management reply was usually just follow edd you will be fine. Following edd or Orion 100% can add hours to ones day and cause many service failures.

Pkgcar1988

My route started Orion the first week of November, followed one week then was told didn't have to follow until after peek,thank goodness because was never going to work anyway. Monday was told by center manager to start following Orion again and to be within 80% but route was so messed up that I ended up not following until I got my business off. Then I followed stop for stop and was 18 miles over projection. Drove by one stop 3 times before finally delivering it. I saw the person who trained me on Orion when I got in and told how messed up it was and she just laughed and said sometimes you need to make the "right" decisions about when to deliver a stop or not. wtf!!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My route started Orion the first week of November, followed one week then was told didn't have to follow until after peek,thank goodness because was never going to work anyway. Monday was told by center manager to start following Orion again and to be within 80% but route was so messed up that I ended up not following until I got my business off. Then I followed stop for stop and was 18 miles over projection. Drove by one stop 3 times before finally delivering it. I saw the person who trained me on Orion when I got in and told how messed up it was and she just laughed and said sometimes you need to make the "right" decisions about when to deliver a stop or not. wtf!!!!

No that's the thing. Either I follow your bogus ORION or I deliver how I want. I'm not making my day more difficult by picking and choosing.

Pkgcar1988

I will follow stop for stop after that comment by the Orion person. Some days it has me delivering 10 or so business then 20 resi. Then back to deliver another 50 business. I have always gotten all of business off by 12-12:30 just for the sake of customer service. Was told ups wants business customers to complain so that they will start using a premium service instead of ground but not sure that's true. I have no idea the purpose of this "new" system as it makes no sense what so ever