ORION + peak =CLUSterMEss

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It will also be able to update and change throughout the day in case of delays or any unexpected emergency that should arise that would cause you to deviate from the plan. That's what they told me anyway.
Which means I assume we are paying the wireless companies a boat load more of money than before even. Our boards will be continually downloading information if that is the case.

Ps I'm no IE expert. Just assume this is how it will work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem with the loading part of it, is it will mean even later starts than now because you won't be able to upload your board until they are done putting spa labels on everything. Already have to wait until start time or a few minutes after to get edd now.

I get EDD as soon as I punch in and update it right after the PCM.

upschuck

Which means I assume we are paying the wireless companies a boat load more of money than before even. Our boards will be continually downloading information if that is the case.

The new boards have enough power to do that on its own.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There will not be any new information downloaded----Orion will simply shuffle EDD based on completed stops. Orion cannot compensate for delays and/or emergencies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The new boards are way slower than the Diad IV and frequently freeze up. I couldn't imagine if it was constantly trying to reroute my day in the most efficient manner.

It shuffles EDD during the day with only the data in storage-----it does not download new data to incorporate in to the rearranged EDD.

upschuck

It shuffles EDD during the day with only the data in storage-----it does not download new data to incorporate in to the rearranged EDD.
Why would you need new data unless you got new packages. Same packages on car....same data...different sequence. Shuffling is a good word to use though.

Pkgcar1988

Upstate are you even on Orion yet??? The reason I'm asking is because when you are on Orion you can not get edd until all pkgs have been spa'd and that is usually right before u start or later if late air or loads

Pkgcar1988

And yes I believe it will be capable of updating based on times as if you look at the computer with your Orion map on it and your delivery order it shows the times that it believes you should be at a stop and the time you should finish everyday.

laffter

Instead of spending money on ORION, couldn't UPS have just purchased GPS navigation systems for coverage drivers? Whatever money they're trying to save in the long run would be saved by preventing coverage drivers from running around in circles trying to find a stop. Drivers who have regular routes don't typically have trouble with efficiency.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Instead of spending money on ORION, couldn't UPS have just purchased GPS navigation systems for coverage drivers? Whatever money they're trying to save in the long run would be saved by preventing coverage drivers from running around in circles trying to find a stop. Drivers who have regular routes don't typically have trouble with efficiency.
Uh I run many routes that gps isn't even close to right on street names and such. There's no replacement for a plat or map book.