ORION + peak =CLUSterMEss

oldngray

nowhere special
Uh I run many routes that gps isn't even close to right on street names and such. There's no replacement for a plat or map book.

Plus how EDD tries to guess whether an address is N or S, or if the street number is out of range it tries to guess the street with the most letters matching.

Pkgcar1988

Instead of spending money on ORION, couldn't UPS have just purchased GPS navigation systems for coverage drivers? Whatever money they're trying to save in the long run would be saved by preventing coverage drivers from running around in circles trying to find a stop. Drivers who have regular routes don't typically have trouble with efficiency.
They are not saving any money on my route--- drive more miles now, work more hrs, and deliver less stops. Works for me I guess..

jaker

trolling
I think Orion wouldn't be all that bad if it would recognize hi low and even odd side of streets

I love how it makes me deliver left side of the street in a cul da sac

Pkgcar1988

I was told by Orion trainer that if you had 10 stops on one street it doesn't matter in what order you deliver high to low--left to right

jaker

trolling
I was told by Orion trainer that if you had 10 stops on one street it doesn't matter in what order you deliver high to low--left to right
You are right , but that shouldn't matter because at that point you fixing Orion mistakes

But take that saying about the same street and throw a side street in there and you just broke trace 2 times for no reason and could have done it better with common sense and logic of how a area works

Which Orion has no clue of

jaker

trolling
The other problem with Orion is they expect us to fix those minor things but stay in 85%

But there is way to many mistakes so you get to the point of following it to a tee or doing it your way and beating the miles just to save yourself a huge headache with their percentage crap

I have a mountain that I deliver to common sense would be to knock out all the stops while you are there , but Orion has me come back to 2 to 3 times a day because of stupid crap like that it is easy for my to beat the miles and run it the way I want

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think Orion wouldn't be all that bad if it would recognize hi low and even odd side of streets

I love how it makes me deliver left side of the street in a cul da sac
Yes but per Orion trainers you are no longer to go to the end of the cul da sac. You are to turn around in the driveway of your deepest stop.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Yes but per Orion trainers you are no longer to go to the end of the cul da sac. You are to turn around in the driveway of your deepest stop.
crap on that. I refuse to back into driveways,it's not safe .I am looking forward to having a nice discussion with the ORION ride along when I am instructed to make an unnecessary backing move and I refuse to do so.

oldngray

nowhere special
crap on that. I refuse to back into driveways,it's not safe .I am looking forward to having a nice discussion with the ORION ride along when I am instructed to make an unnecessary backing move and I refuse to do so.

A 16 year old pizza driver is smarter than the ORION team

Pkgcar1988

Was told once on my ride that it would be shorter to turn around, 3 mile road that one driver delivers one end and I deliver the other( I know makes no sense), I said no place to turn around but resi driveways and I have been instructed for years to stay out of them, she said well whatever. I said I would start that practice if I could have it in writing that that was going to be the new procedure to save miles and she said just go around

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Was told once on my ride that it would be shorter to turn around, 3 mile road that one driver delivers one end and I deliver the other( I know makes no sense), I said no place to turn around but resi driveways and I have been instructed for years to stay out of them, she said well whatever. I said I would start that practice if I could have it in writing that that was going to be the new procedure to save miles and she said just go around
Yep put it in writing that I am not liable for anything that might happen from Turning around in said drive. Cracked concrete, oil leak, folded over blade of grass, ect. Then we can talk.

Pkgcar1988

When they did my ride alongs we kept coming in 7-10 miles over what Orion said. Trainer said "oh you drive an old car(1980's p1000 manual) the odometer is just off.
So the next time before we left building I asked how many miles Orion thought it was to first stop 12.4 miles so we checked it dead on. On the way back same thing dead on.Still over 7 miles. I said suppose it has anything to do with turning around in the middle off streets or driveways? She said no it's your odometer.last I heard

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Orion sucks...but seriously...the 5 stops that cause a lot of bricked out trucks can be delivered out of order and you can still achieve 85%. On my old route 5-10 stops got rid of anywhere from 80-250 pieces. Suddenly...I could walk through the middle. The day a sup comes out with me and shows me Orion can be done in trace is the day I change my ways. Hasn't happened as of yet.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I will follow stop for stop after that comment by the Orion person. Some days it has me delivering 10 or so business then 20 resi. Then back to deliver another 50 business. I have always gotten all of business off by 12-12:30 just for the sake of customer service. Was told ups wants business customers to complain so that they will start using a premium service instead of ground but not sure that's true. I have no idea the purpose of this "new" system as it makes no sense what so ever
The idea is in fuel savings costs...even though your particular miles are up, they're saving an assload of cash by cutting routes out and eliminating their miles. Metrics is/will be the demise of UPS.