Orion warning letters

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Adjust the load when it updates the dispatch? Have you ever worked the preload the last 10 years? Get it out of the trailer, on the belts and into a package car as fast as possible. Don't worry about load quality or misloads or finding all the add/cuts. Just get off the clock and the drivers out the door.

It was tongue and cheek, PT.

After the truck is loaded, and the dispatch is adjusted mid-route, the only "technology" that will ever adjust the load, is the driver.

To answer your question, I have never worked the preload.
Thank God!

It was tongue and cheek, PT.

After the truck is loaded, and the dispatch is adjusted mid-route, the only "technology" that will ever adjust the load, is the driver.

To answer your question, I have never worked the preload.
Thank God!
Yeah, usually the load will adjust itself the first time you hit a curb or pothole. But not to your benefit.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Warning letters wont stick because (a) there isn't a readout on the DIAD that displays a cumulative ORION compliance metric and (b) telling us to generate some arbitrary metric while at the same time being required to avoid service failures amounts to being given conflicting instructions. They cant have it both ways; either we make all the decisions or ORION makes all the decisions. Forced stupidity 85% of the time while still being held accountable for service failures and only allowed to make "smart" decisions 15% of the time is an invalid directive and we cannot be disciplined for failing to honor it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Does anyone have advice as to what to do? We are starting to get set up for Orion ride alongs. Any thing to help with the Diad at stops and pick ups? How many harrassment days for set up?

clean hairy

During the ride along say nothing about orion, just run the route based on what it dictated.
Let the Sup ask why you are going all over the place when you don't have to.
Then, you can explain doing what orion dictates is not the best way to run the route.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Does anyone have advice as to what to do? We are starting to get set up for Orion ride alongs. Any thing to help with the Diad at stops and pick ups? How many harrassment days for set up?
Just do your job the way you know it needs to be done. The ORION person in many cases will be a temporary subcontractor, not an actual UPS management person. They are going to do what they are going to do regardless of whether it makes any sense or not, so there is no point in worrying about the outcome. They dont care if the finished product works or not, they only care about completing the implementation as fast as possible and moving on to the next implementation site.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Followed it stop, for stop, only deviated to not miss a few commercial, missed a few commercial. I cant follow it and look ahead to see what is wrong.......Had late air. No reason for it, but I followed Orion. Even with skipping one section of bs stops to make my air. Was allowed 49 miles, went 77. I was two hours late. Guy yesterday was over by 22 miles, and was two hours late. Its such bs.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Im curious? My area is very country. I may get 15-20 signatures a day. I have no air commits. On average I do 95 stops. 160 pieces. And, pick up about 10 a day. Drive 175 miles. I really don't think I will have anything close to you city fellas. Are there any rural drivers who can say Orion is slowing them down also?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im curious? My area is very country. I may get 15-20 signatures a day. I have no air commits. On average I do 95 stops. 160 pieces. And, pick up about 10 a day. Drive 175 miles. I really don't think I will have anything close to you city fellas. Are there any rural drivers who can say Orion is slowing them down also?
I m not a country driver. My co workers who do have it usually beat it by 40miles a day. Because breaking form one section to the next is only one break. And then its pretty good to run in trace.

Bottom rung

There's a lot of room in your truck for a forty stop resi section though...that might slow you down some.

clean hairy

Followed it stop, for stop, only deviated to not miss a few commercial, missed a few commercial. I cant follow it and look ahead to see what is wrong.......Had late air. No reason for it, but I followed Orion. Even with skipping one section of bs stops to make my air. Was allowed 49 miles, went 77. I was two hours late. Guy yesterday was over by 22 miles, and was two hours late. Its such bs.
Look at the bright side.
Orion is helping you make lots of extra $$ !

By The Book

Toon, don't miss commercial stops or have late air. You don't need to stress out any more than you already are. Skip resis to make service. It's not working on your route, which if I remember they added work to your route after Orion was put in?

undies

About a year after Orion hit my center...not one word about it. So long as the people up top stay quiet, then so does my management team. Like all things, it will pass as a fad. Just endure the pressure now and wait it out.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

We have a couple rural satellite routes and they are about the same. I looked at their dispatches before and after and their over/under and they've stayed in the same ball park. But they also do a lot less stops and a lot more miles. Ours average about 75 stops, 130 pieces and 245 miles a day. A big downfall though is how breaking trace affects your percentage. Our in town guys can break trace for a couple stops and it affects their percentage very little since they have 135+ stops. If you break it with 75 stops you get a much bigger hit. The only good side is it usually is much easier to save miles on rural routes.

I got a chuckle last week because of one of our rural guys. His Orion plan was 205 miles. The Orion guy said that is the absolute best you're ever going to get on that dispatch. There is no way he could save any more miles than that. Guy came in, delivered every package in his truck, and only drove 186 miles. Made the Orion guy look like a real idiot.