Orion warning letters

clean hairy

You cannot get in trouble for not being able to get to work one hour before you were scheduled.
If you are saying it is not a problem to work 1 hour before clocked in, hope you don't get hurt while working off the clock.
If you do get hurt, watch the smelly stuff hit the fan, and no workers comp since said employee was not on the clock.

By The Book

I found out today that my 9.5 expired on 2-21, when I tried to file, my bad, my job to keep track, I thought someone else would have told me I guess not.
Only 18 over today. probably 96 %. Only broke for business, and air. It was a long lonely night, driving by houses I knew I had stops at to go 2 miles away and come back.
Whatever. One of the sups want to talk to me before I sign up again. So I was told. I said what for, its been a problem for months, they all give me a big dumb smile, they all went to the same school. Here we go. I will file and be on the list again, you come ride and fix it, thats the deal.
I guess this week you had 3 over 9.5 days and re-qualified. Now you should be on the list again for 5 months. Do you have to work 3 days over 9.5 once on the list to be paid for the hours over 9.5 for that week?,Or are you paid on all hours worked over 9.5 once on the list.

By The Book

We have 3 drivers in our center that have requested extra work. We all start at 9, they start at 8. Was told that those 3 routes are exempt from ORION and I assume all the harassment from hitting %, over miles and eventual discipline. Seems to me they have set themselves up for a case of discrimination. Agree? Disagree? Why should we have to follow if they don't? On a side note, I'm pretty sure those 3 drivers running extra resi in the morning before preload is even completed are costing at least 1 driving job or TCD job. Maybe an air driver as 1 of them delivers EAM about 45 min away. Thoughts on that anyone? I think the extra work thing is BS and it they want it, they should have to run it at night like the rest of us.
Yeah, sounds like they should bid that extra work by seniority within the classification. Are they scheduled at 8?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Thoughts on that anyone? I think the extra work thing is BS and it they want it, they should have to run it at night like the rest of us.
If you don't want to run all night I'm sure you can volunteer for it. And if they are getting extra work, as you say, they will be out at night too.
25 guys and 2 girls getting hammered on ORION while 3 others get to skate because they wanna come to work early and kiss ass I suppose. There is a bias there somewhere. Even if it's a business thing to let them volunteer for extra work, they should still be held to the same standards as their regular day starts with ours.
Why? If the truck is loaded and ready to go should it just sit? If it's a seniority issue you have, I can understand that. But it seems you're just mad they start an hour earlier and don't use Orion. Which is silly. If you hate Orion so much, bid for it.
I have been here over 20 years. NEVER heard of ANYONE demanding a 12 hour day. Ever.
Come over to my center then. We have one guy who comes in at about 12 hours every day. The guy prides himself in how close he can come to 12 hours of work everyday. When they need a cover air driver he's there bright and early to run to the airport. We have a couple others like that.
Not any more can you bonus that big. And if you do just wait. That will change.
We have a guy in my center who comes in 250 under every day. It's been like that since I was hired a couple years ago. Yet nothing ever changes. I heard he cleared close to 30k in bonus ALONE last year.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I guess this week you had 3 over 9.5 days and re-qualified. Now you should be on the list again for 5 months. Do you have to work 3 days over 9.5 once on the list to be paid for the hours over 9.5 for that week?,Or are you paid on all hours worked over 9.5 once on the list.
I am not sure, I worked 4 days over 9.5, so I wanted to file. I was expired. I have to get back on the list Monday. Thats all I know.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If you are saying it is not a problem to work 1 hour before clocked in, hope you don't get hurt while working off the clock.
If you do get hurt, watch the smelly stuff hit the fan, and no workers comp since said employee was not on the clock.
I didnt say it was not a problem to work off the clock. I have no idea why anyone would do that, UPS has plenty of money. But they do. Even though it is against ups, and teamster policy................. I said, in fewer words, if you are scheduled to call in at 8 and you call in at 7 just to get an idea, if it looks like you will be working,,,,,yes they can ask you to be there at 8.......but you would not need to be there til 9.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am not sure, I worked 4 days over 9.5, so I wanted to file. I was expired. I have to get back on the list Monday. Thats all I know.

Once you are "violated", you are eligible to get on the 9.5 list.

If you are "violated" again (within that period)....

You are entitled to the monetary penalty. Provided, you file a grievance asking for it.

-Bug-

By The Book

You are entitled to the monetary penalty. Provided, you file a grievance asking for it.

-Bug-
Is the grievance money payable on all hours over 9.5 once on the list (qualified)?, or is it only payable if you have a 3rd day over 9.5 in that workweek.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Give Managment the following challenge with Orion.
You run the route for 1 week, following Orion 100%.
You then run the next week with Orion turned off.
Managment then runs the comparison and should see the obvious answer.
If all drivers did this, it would send a message to Managment just what a farce Orion is, and would show them the Drivers run the routes better.
That would require us to have access to management people who have the authority to make an actual decision. Good luck with that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Maybe harassment is a better word. All I know that we are all suffering the ill effects of this miracle program they call ORION except those 3 guys. Seems to me it's an all or nothing deal. We all should have to suffer or none of us. Call it cry baby stuff all you want. It's a problem. They call in? Guess who gets stuck with a 12 hour day. Guess who gets woken up 2 hours early and threatened write up when they can't find a way to get their kid to school to be at work an hour early. Guess who can't bid the route when those guys go on vacation because it's a "non grievable" 55 hour week. Of course nobody bids it, but then the poor low seniority coverage guy gets it in his butt. You get the picture.

I would tell them they could go ahead and write me up...after they kissed my ass. I would then go back to sleep for an hour and report to work at my posted start time, per the contract.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

-Bug-
I didnt know about the 5 month period. So they got to violate me for time and a half instead of double time then. Is their free November and december time counted in that 5 month period?

By The Book

I didnt know about the 5 month period. So they got to violate me for time and a half instead of double time then. Is their free November and december time counted in that 5 month period?
Nov. and Dec. don't count. An example would be if you got on the list July 20 th. You would fall off the list Feb. 20th., which is close to your example. You qualified again last week and if you turned in your form last week you are now on the list. You will fall off list again about July 26th

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Nov. and Dec. don't count. An example would be if you got on the list July 20 th. You would fall off the list Feb. 20th., which is close to your example. You qualified again last week and if you turned in your form last week you are now on the list. You will fall off list again about July 26th
last time I had to have a "meeting" to get on the list. Now I have to have another, is that correct? I am really tired of having a meeting with mgmt when nothing has changed. I do trust my steward, but I dont get the formality. Ok so I need to sign a form? I DONT NEED TO HAVE AN OFFICIAL MEET WITH AGAIN, CORRECT? SORRY for the caps, LOL

By The Book

last time I had to have a "meeting" to get on the list. Now I have to have another, is that correct? I am really tired of having a meeting with mgmt when nothing has changed. I do trust my steward, but I dont get the formality. Ok so I need to sign a form? I DONT NEED TO HAVE AN OFFICIAL MEET WITH AGAIN, CORRECT? SORRY for the caps, LOL
If they want you to follow the letter of the contract, then yes you get a steward, go to your center manager and hand him your form(if you use one) filled out with the week affected, each days hours, your signature, etc. and hand it to your center manager with your steward there. If no forms do the same thing verbally with the information. If you want to be talked out of it stick around and discuss it, if not be respectful do what you came there for and walk away.

clean hairy

I didnt say it was not a problem to work off the clock. I have no idea why anyone would do that, UPS has plenty of money. But they do. Even though it is against ups, and teamster policy................. I said, in fewer words, if you are scheduled to call in at 8 and you call in at 7 just to get an idea, if it looks like you will be working,,,,,yes they can ask you to be there at 8.......but you would not need to be there til 9.
Ok, gotcha! I musta misread what you said.