Orion warning letters

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If they want you to follow the letter of the contract, then yes you get a steward, go to your center manager and hand him your form(if you use one) filled out with the week affected, each days hours, your signature, etc. and hand it to your center manager with your steward there. If no forms do the same thing verbally with the information. If you want to be talked out of it stick around and discuss it, if not be respectful do what you came there for and walk away.
No, steward already said they want to talk to me. If they did, they had their chance on Tuesday, when I was talking to them, and no one wanted to listen. They fear they are losing their workhorse, and they are. Obviously my talk meant nothing then why should it a week later? Do what I need to do and leave, Yes. Always respectful.

By The Book

No, steward already said they want to talk to me. If they did, they had their chance on Tuesday, when I was talking to them, and no one wanted to listen. They fear they are losing their workhorse, and they are. Obviously my talk meant nothing then why should it a week later? Do what I need to do and leave, Yes. Always respectful.
So if you wanted to file for penalty on Tuesday the 24th you were told you fell of the list. That being said next week will be your first week back on the list when you have the "meeting". It takes one week after you notify them, and technically if you had a meeting on Friday your on the list next Monday. At the meeting have your steward ask your center manager to show you on the computer the dates you were previously on the list. For verification only of course.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So if you wanted to file for penalty on Tuesday the 24th you were told you fell of the list. That being said next week will be your first week back on the list when you have the "meeting". It takes one week after you notify them, and technically if you had a meeting on Friday your on the list next Monday. At the meeting have your steward ask your center manager to show you on the computer the dates you were previously on the list. For verification only of course.
Will do thanks for the help:blushing2:Gotta play the game. Thats all it is.

bumped

I baited my management team into giving me a warning letter for not following Orion. My BA and stewards wanted me to grieve, but hell NO. I made copies of that warning letter and a copy is taped to my bulkhead door. I have railroad tracks on my route, and would break from the trace to deliver on the side depending on where the trains are and the work I have. Now, I follow and some trains last 3 minutes and sometimes 40 minutes. I just sit and wait. I'm on the 9.5 list. My stops have gone down 20 plus stops a day. When I'm on vacation management doesn't mind the cover drivers under 85%. I wouldn't mind if they changed my area to the north or south of me as the neighborhoods are much better than I currently have. I love Orion.

bumped

last time I had to have a "meeting" to get on the list. Now I have to have another, is that correct? I am really tired of having a meeting with mgmt when nothing has changed. I do trust my steward, but I dont get the formality. Ok so I need to sign a form? I DONT NEED TO HAVE AN OFFICIAL MEET WITH AGAIN, CORRECT? SORRY for the caps, LOL

Every January I usually talk to the center manager one on one and tell him/her that some people want the work, but I'm not one of them. I do not want to work 9.5 and if I constantly work over 9.5 I will file. I don't want to come into your office when I file and have you tell me that you want a chance to fix it first. I'm giving you the chance now. We seem to get a new center manager every January, so this conversation coincides with the new center manager.

upser7480

G-Force
If you don't want to run all night I'm sure you can volunteer for it. And if they are getting extra work, as you say, they will be out at night too.

Why? If the truck is loaded and ready to go should it just sit? If it's a seniority issue you have, I can understand that. But it seems you're just mad they start an hour earlier and don't use Orion. Which is silly. If you hate Orion so much, bid for it.

Come over to my center then. We have one guy who comes in at about 12 hours every day. The guy prides himself in how close he can come to 12 hours of work everyday. When they need a cover air driver he's there bright and early to run to the airport. We have a couple others like that.

We have a guy in my center who comes in 250 under every day. It's been like that since I was hired a couple years ago. Yet nothing ever changes. I heard he cleared close to 30k in bonus ALONE last year.

Our preload cannot get done before 9am due to proximity of the airport and such. They come in at 8, get in their trucks and run random stops close to building for an extra hours pay. Then they return to the building at 9 and the preloader finishes loading all the crap that he/she has been stacking under belt and on dock. Then they get EDD again and go back to those same random areas and finish delivering them. The reason they can't run off ORION is simply because it can't come up with a solution at 9am after they have randomly run things out of the EDD already. Therefore, they are exempt for the rest of day from any ORION scrutiny. My complaints are that this is not fair to the rest of us (most agree) and more importantly it's giving them a way to cut at least 1 route that could be helping a loop or 2 avoid excessive workloads. This practice is sporadic and unorganized. It burdens the loops that those drivers work in. We file 9.5's and play the game as they make us..... but I'm willing to bet if they had to start at 9 with the rest of us that they would no longer request extra work and at very least a TCD may have a chance to drive.

Bottom rung

How are these guys able to get Edd or orion after being on road modifying your route? Or will the dispatcher send the stops to their board? If I have to make two trips for late air/ground I can't get the pkgs in my diad.

By The Book

Our preload cannot get done before 9am due to proximity of the airport and such. They come in at 8, get in their trucks and run random stops close to building for an extra hours pay. Then they return to the building at 9 and the preloader finishes loading all the crap that he/she has been stacking under belt and on dock. Then they get EDD again and go back to those same random areas and finish delivering them. The reason they can't run off ORION is simply because it can't come up with a solution at 9am after they have randomly run things out of the EDD already. Therefore, they are exempt for the rest of day from any ORION scrutiny. My complaints are that this is not fair to the rest of us (most agree) and more importantly it's giving them a way to cut at least 1 route that could be helping a loop or 2 avoid excessive workloads. This practice is sporadic and unorganized. It burdens the loops that those drivers work in. We file 9.5's and play the game as they make us..... but I'm willing to bet if they had to start at 9 with the rest of us that they would no longer request extra work and at very least a TCD may have a chance to drive.
I mentioned in an earlier post if its extra work within the classification it needs to be bid. If they bid the work and it was awarded to the seniority drivers there may not be much you can do. Again are they posted at 8 or 9.

upser7480

G-Force
They get edd at 8 or maybe even earlier for whatever stops have come down the belt already and leave. They get edd again at 9 when preload actually finishes and return to same area. Pretty inefficient if you ask me. They cannot get ORION because it's not released till 9 and this odd setup confuses it and it can't come up with a solution after stops have already been run off the route. Center start time is 9. This extra work is not posted in any way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How are these guys able to get Edd or orion after being on road modifying your route? Or will the dispatcher send the stops to their board? If I have to make two trips for late air/ground I can't get the pkgs in my diad.

There are times when, if I have to double trip, that I am able to update EDD and other times when it says the route cannot be modified.

DSM515

So they say Orion should cut my route by 8 miles, that's one gallon of fuel, but my days are at least a hour longer. So common sense states save 3 dollars on fuel but pay driver 50 dollars overtime. Lol. Any first year collage student taking Econ101 can see this flaw. Thank you UPS for the 10,000 dollar raise!!!!!!!!!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I would tell them they could go ahead and write me up...after they kissed my ass. I would then go back to sleep for an hour and report to work at my posted start time, per the contract.
I hope you're not in the Central. Contract says you may have to report early.

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 2

Any employee may be required to report to work before his/her regular
starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate
of one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular straight-time
hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time
in addition to the employee’s regular guarantee.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I hope you're not in the Central. Contract says you may have to report early.

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 2

Any employee may be required to report to work before his/her regular
starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate
of one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular straight-time
hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time
in addition to the employee’s regular guarantee.

We have similar language in the West, but ours also says that "start times shall be posted on the prior Friday of the week for which the starting times shall be effective."

This has been interpreted in our area to mean that the company cannot impose discipline for tardiness unless the employee reports after his/her posted start time.

They can certainly call at 6:00 AM and "require" you to report early, and they have to pay OT for all time worked before your posted start time if you comply, but they cant discipline you for being late if you don't comply. There are single parents working for UPS who have to drop their children off at school or day care prior to work and they cant just just come in an hour early and leave their children to fend for themselves.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So they say Orion should cut my route by 8 miles, that's one gallon of fuel, but my days are at least a hour longer. So common sense states save 3 dollars on fuel but pay driver 50 dollars overtime. Lol. Any first year collage student taking Econ101 can see this flaw. Thank you UPS for the 10,000 dollar raise!!!!!!!!!
Cutting 8 miles off the route wont save a gallon of fuel if you are spending an extra 30 minutes each day idling in traffic jams, crawling through multiple red lights or waiting to make the left turns that ORION forces you to make.

By The Book

They get edd at 8 or maybe even earlier for whatever stops have come down the belt already and leave. They get edd again at 9 when preload actually finishes and return to same area. Pretty inefficient if you ask me. They cannot get ORION because it's not released till 9 and this odd setup confuses it and it can't come up with a solution after stops have already been run off the route. Center start time is 9. This extra work is not posted in any way.
They would of put up bids for this work, if done correctly. If its only the same drivers doing this on specific routes each day it does sound like they are trying to avoid running another route/driver on road. Call your local and explain this to your business agent. If I come in and work from 8 to 9 and then do my route many drivers would have called that in the first day!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We have similar language in the West, but ours also says that "start times shall be posted on the prior Friday of the week for which the starting times shall be effective."

This has been interpreted in our area to mean that the company cannot impose discipline for tardiness unless the employee reports after his/her posted start time.

They can certainly call at 6:00 AM and "require" you to report early, and they have to pay OT for all time worked before your posted start time if you comply, but they cant discipline you for being late if you don't comply. There are single parents working for UPS who have to drop their children off at school or day care prior to work and they cant just just come in an hour early and leave their children to fend for themselves.
You have to love our contracts. One article/section says one thing and another article/section says another thing.

Just like

Employees shall not be required to work on any of the following named Holidays....
If an employee is required to work on any of the above named Holidays....

Huh?????

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You have to love our contracts. One article/section says one thing and another article/section says another thing.

Just like

Employees shall not be required to work on any of the following named Holidays....
If an employee is required to work on any of the above named Holidays....

Huh?????

Not this again.... :biggrin:

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If I am already on the 9.5 list, and the company violates me all 5 days of a work week, am I entitled to triple time for the hours over 9.5 for all 5 days ?

Absolutely.

As a remedy (or resolution) to your grievance....

Always include the term "requesting all monies due".

And, don't let your Local try and negotiate.

Pay me.

-Bug-