ORION

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I usually try to follow ORION until 3:30 when I break off for pickups. Then I have sections left all over the place and I run it the way I want and I beat "The Solution" by two or three mile everyday. I figured out how to outsmart it, it has a lot of flaws in it. Hopefully they will get the kinks out of it one day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I usually try to follow ORION until 3:30 when I break off for pickups. Then I have sections left all over the place and I run it the way I want and I beat "The Solution" by two or three mile everyday. I figured out how to outsmart it, it has a lot of flaws in it. Hopefully they will get the kinks out of it one day.
A wise veteran.

Griff

Another micro manage toy. Be prepared to be baby sat. And if your a work horse good luck. Cause your about to gain more work cause the other pusillanimous drivers are to lazy and cry about change. baby's

Smells like a bonus baby. If you've been driving for more than 5 years and you have this mentality, you were obviously dropped on your head as a child (repeatedly).

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Smells like a bonus baby. If you've been driving for more than 5 years and you have this mentality, you were obviously dropped on your head as a child (repeatedly).
Oh no my friend, he's a "work horse". He even said so himself.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I followed it stop for stop one day, the report next day said I was 53% on trace. Sometimes I break trace half the day and I will show being 90-97% in compliance the next day, its all over the place. The way it changes my route around everyday does break up the monotony, I will give it that. My checks look a little bigger, but miles are down. Looks like a winning situation for the company and myself.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I tried it for one day when the ORION guy rode with me. By 11:30 in the morning he told me to stop using it, and that he had a lot of work to do on it in order to get it right. That was 19 months ago and the work has yet to be done. I'm not holding my breath.
They will get back around to fixing the "bad" ones once they finish getting everyone on ORION.

Could be another 19 months though.

Mr.Golden

I've ran Orion for some weeks now on the same route.....I've notice that the truck is more clearer meaning I can walk thru from back to front unless one of the bulk stop have a lot of pkgs. I think it's like that for easier pkg selection.

By The Book

I've ran Orion for some weeks now on the same route.....I've notice that the truck is more clearer meaning I can walk thru from back to front unless one of the bulk stop have a lot of pkgs. I think it's like that for easier pkg selection.
They either gave you a decent day for a change, or you were light on pieces.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They will get back around to fixing the "bad" ones once they finish getting everyone on ORION.

Could be another 19 months though.
You cant fix anything without first admitting that it is broken.

Fixing a flawed ORION setup requires cooperation with the driver. It requires being open-minded. It requires attention to detail, clear communication, and patience. Most importantly, it requires a management team that has both the authority and the resources to make the necessary changes. That is not how we do things at UPS; its a lot quicker and easier to simply demand arbitrary compliance metrics and then write warning letters for those who fail to generate them.

Mr.Golden

They either gave you a decent day for a change, or you were light on pieces.
I see what they trying to do...one day out the week they "give" me a light day or don't p.m. dispatch me so I'll at least have 12 hrs by Friday. I had 173 stops and I'll still able walk from back to front.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
While the Orion team admits my odo is highly flawed and tried to fix it the system still wants me to make illegal u turns (posted or not), drive over medians, cross 6 lanes of traffic, etc. They have done nothing to improve it. I have not been talked to in weeks regarding odo even though I only use rdo because it actually lower miles. Hope it stays that way finger crossed
ORION brings me through a bunch of concrete blocks and into a defunct through street to get to a delivery area, the least miles option is 1/3 with three left-hand turns to continue. D:

asphaltcowboy

Didn't break trace once yesterday or today. Was greeted with praise and thanks this morning but I was over 10 miles and an hour. Business stops down right before close and air to the wire. Gotta say it is hard to not deliver a stop you pass twice or more throughout the day.

ArcherUTR

If you decide to turn off ORION and run it your way, you may get more than just a sup yelling at you in the morning.

If instructed to run ODO, you do not have the option to shut it off and do it your way without risking discipline.

This is a hot corporate issue and the discipline will be coming until everyone follows ODO.

Actually you are given a variance on ORION trace.. From this site where we seem to gather, depending on area and center, between 85%-95% compliance. For many routes that's between 10 and 20 'breaks'. In addition we are instructed to not have service failures nor run up our miles.

If you are asked by management to break trace to fix ORION, reduce miles, or prevent customer service failures, then they should give you those instructions in the morning while in building.

Else, if you are asking me to use my knowledge base and better discretion to reduce time, miles and $, well then that was kinda my job before and the reason why you pay me the big $. Simplicity.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Actually you are given a variance on ORION trace.. From this site where we seem to gather, depending on area and center, between 85%-95% compliance.
The standard is 85% for the Orion program. If any on-car/center manager says differently they or the DM is trying to look good to someone above them.