Orion

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
I respect a lot of the topics here. But this one is just beaten to death. It's the same thread every 2 weeks. I'd put good money on this same exact question popping up by the 25th
Which part of your job does orion affect? The part where you cross a six lane highway four times in a half mile? Maybe the part where you climb to the middle of your 6000 shelf only to find that you cant put hands on the package because of a terrible load? It might be hot in the hub, but nothing like the back of that easy bake oven in july at 2:35 in the afternoon while you are still searching for your next stop. It only affects the drivers job that much.

Last edited:

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Our building is about to get Orion. UPSers that are on Orion did your building cut routes once on Orion or did it create more routes?
ORION will completely butcher your current route setup the point that it's virtually unrecognizable. Expect many routes to be eliminated, low seniority drivers to sit on their asses, remaining routes to be completely re-looped with new areas they never covered before, and general stop count increases of at least fifteen to twenty.

I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

UPSGUY72

Our building is about to get Orion. UPSers that are on Orion did your building cut routes once on Orion or did it create more routes?

All that Orion does is make me more money. But according to UPS they are saving money.

Gas $2.15 gal package cars average about 5 to 6 miles a gallon.
OT $51.54 hr

UPS is all about saving a couple of miles a route but it cost them probably 15 X more paying OT than they will ever save on gas.

UPSGUY72

Just beat Orion by 27 miles. Again. What are they getting for the millions they have spent on this boondoggle? More miles, more routes. A ten year old kid could have come up with a better program!

I can beat it every day. I shut it off and run the route my way and still do it over 85% trace and beat the miles...

Just wait.............you will be over by 29 miles with the "new numbers " in no time.......

The only good thing about Orion is that the numbers that get generated are all based on distance traveled and stops. Management can't change those numbers they add more stops it adds more time to do your route... The days of adding stops to your route and expecting it to get done in the same amount of time are over....

Ring Sport

I can't figure out how the company can make it appear to be awesome to every one on the outside looking in. Yet every driver will tell you that it was a waste of time and money.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Which part of your job does orion affect? The part where you cross a six lane highway four times in a half mile? Maybe the part where you climb to the middle of your 6000 shelf only to find that you cant put hands on the package because of a terrible load? It might be hot in the hub, but nothing like the back of that easy bake oven in july at 2:35 in the afternoon while you are still searching for your next stop. It only affects the drivers job that much.
When I qualified ORION was set up to make me cross a 4 lane highway 6 times in about a mile. I didn't feel it was safe and I ignored it. When I brought it up to the dispatcher and my on car they agreed and changed it.

My favorite part about these ORION threads is everybody tells the OP how horrible ORION is and not to give the ORION guy anything. Don't talk to him or show him anything. You know why I love it so much? Because the guys who did this in my center have the most problems with ORION. They ignored the guys and didn't offer any input. They didn't share why they do things a certain way. The ones who didn't treat the engineers like lepers have the most sensible ORION set up. The guy whose route I ran to qualify had an ORION set up that was a freaking mess. When he got back on the route he commented to me how much better it was. I told him that instead of just being ticked about it I talked to someone to have it fixed. He was sitting with the dispatch sup the other morning and magically it works for him now. Imagine that.

Packmule

When I qualified ORION was set up to make me cross a 4 lane highway 6 times in about a mile. I didn't feel it was safe and I ignored it. When I brought it up to the dispatcher and my on car they agreed and changed it.

My favorite part about these ORION threads is everybody tells the OP how horrible ORION is and not to give the ORION guy anything. Don't talk to him or show him anything. You know why I love it so much? Because the guys who did this in my center have the most problems with ORION. They ignored the guys and didn't offer any input. They didn't share why they do things a certain way. The ones who didn't treat the engineers like lepers have the most sensible ORION set up. The guy whose route I ran to qualify had an ORION set up that was a freaking mess. When he got back on the route he commented to me how much better it was. I told him that instead of just being ticked about it I talked to someone to have it fixed. He was sitting with the dispatch sup the other morning and magically it works for him now. Imagine that.
I bent over backwards to give Orion guys info about my route. Everything was totally ignored.

MrBrown

Last time out I ignored orion completely and did the route the way it made sense to me. I came in lowest compliance wise in my building at 73% and 8 miles under and it was on a route that can typically do 50 miles. What I've seen of orion is that it's junk. The traces were better the way they were. Orion makes my job more difficult as I'm constantly scrolling through the diad to find the next stop.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

I fixed mine too, I press the ODO to RDO button as part of my pretrip, everything looks better after that.

S

selfcancelsignal

Last time out I ignored orion completely and did the route the way it made sense to me. I came in lowest compliance wise in my building at 73% and 8 miles under and it was on a route that can typically do 50 miles. What I've seen of orion is that it's junk. The traces were better the way they were. Orion makes my job more difficult as I'm constantly scrolling through the diad to find the next stop.
Your last sentence is the part I don't like about it. It'd be better if the PAL's matched the ODO. Oh well, we'll see when/if they upgrade it.

MrBrown

Your last sentence is the part I don't like about it. It'd be better if the PAL's matched the ODO. Oh well, we'll see when/if they upgrade it.
and it actually makes it more dangerous to boot. i mean 1 route i cover will go out with as little as 75 stops, 1 main st and a few off of it, and they couldnt get that right.

When we first got Orion our mgt team was all gung ho about compliance-----they have not said a word about Orion or posted our numbers in over a month.
We've had it for over 2 yrs. every once in awhile the center manager must get his balls broken and he'll start bitchin about hitting Orion first stop. Then after a day or two you don't hear about it for 4 or 5 weeks. Such a joke and waste of time and money implementing this across the country. They'd rather do this than settle our last contract and the pilots contract? Someone's priorities are bass ackwards

Packmule

I deliver a very small town with rurals around it. There are only three major streets, 7 blocks long, with about four cross streets.
Amazing how the same stops everyday can be patterned so different everyday. Zigzags one day, figure eight the next. Do half of it, then run out in the country for two hours before returning to do the second half. Crazy. And always waiting on traffic to make a left turn.

MrBrown

I deliver a very small town with rurals around it. There are only three major streets, 7 blocks long, with about four cross streets.
Amazing how the same stops everyday can be patterned so different everyday. Zigzags one day, figure eight the next. Do half of it, then run out in the country for two hours before returning to do the second half. Crazy. And always waiting on traffic to make a left turn.

do u follow the nonsense?

UPSGUY72

This is how stupid the Orion program is. You have 2 stops and 3 packages for a street. Stop A has a ground and and a Air package stop B has a ground. Orion with have you deliver the Air for stop A and the ground for stop B than come back later in the day and deliver the ground for stop A. That there way of saving miles.

MrBrown

This is how stupid the Orion program is. You have 2 stops and 3 packages for a street. Stop A has a ground and and a Air package stop B has a ground. Orion with have you deliver the Air for stop A and the ground for stop B than come back later in the day and deliver the ground for stop A. That there way of saving miles.

makes cents to me.. rolls eyes. its burned me a few times. here you are sir u only have 1 nda today. get to next stop scroll down oh there they are their other 27 grounds

UPSGUY72

makes cents to me.. rolls eyes. its burned me a few times. here you are sir u only have 1 nda today. get to next stop scroll down oh there they are their other 27 grounds

It's easier to just turn it off and run the route like you always do. Most times you still can run trace above 85%.

That's why it gets turned off. A lot of the time grounds listed once,then air, then the savers. Same stop 3 times? Not so effiecient