OT?

hocohelper

Sorry to jack this thread but it looks like things have been sorted out... I recently started working as a temp. driver helper for peak season in Maryland and would like to know if I am entitled to time and a half pay for Overtime work as PT workers are? If so, is that kick in after I work 5 hours in a day? or is it different for different states, centers, etc...?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I am sure of the OT over 5 and will find it tonite when I get home and look the contract. But if they have paid OT before for time over 5 you possibly good file a grievance under "past practices"
Also before I left for my ful time job this morning I looked at my son's paycheck ( he works in the sort aisle) there was 2 hours overtime pay.

NY11725

I am sure of the OT over 5 and will find it tonite when I get home and look the contract. But if they have paid OT before for time over 5 you possibly good file a grievance under "past practices"
Also before I left for my ful time job this morning I looked at my son's paycheck ( he works in the sort aisle) there was 2 hours overtime pay.

Yup, I know there is something listed in the Blue Union Book about it, but im sure its 5 hours because last year I got OT over 5 hours in one day, and now I just got reimbursed for $30.64 for my OT that wasn't on my check

UPSSOCKS

OK, check this out LOL

I added up my check amount to my balance in my bank account, and got my total to have an idea of how much money I will have when my direct deposit hit.

I just logged into my Bank Account Online to see if it hit, and to my surprise and amazement I had two deposits from UPS.

I had one for the amount of $193 and change

and

I had one for the amount of $30 and change

Now I am kind of lost...If they already processed my check without the OT, and I just mentioned me not getting my OT to my boss today...then how in the world did I get a separate direct deposit for my OT so quick? They both hit my account at the same time...it kind of makes me think payroll or who ever knew they messed up, and corrected it before I even noticed it, and it was already pending to be deposited into my account.

When I told my boss today I didnt get my OT, he said he would inquire about it, but I would think that would take a couple days and it would be given to me on my next pay check..so it either was already known before I mentioned it, or they somehow checked it over and squeezed it in for me.

Weeeeeee

This guy is a LIAR.....
There is no way he got two direct deposits from UPS the same day. If someone put an inquiry on your check it wouldn't even of been processed yet. Do you think payroll is like a drag and drop program? Do you think they said "oh we messed up this check drag 30 dollars and some change into this dumb kids account." Next your check was processed on tuesday, actually monday. You found out it was wrong yesterday. I know we have some bright people in payroll but they can see the future now too? You are a LIAR. You missed the pool, you ate the yellow snow, you rode the short bus, None of this ever happened to you. LIAR!!!!!!!

NY11725

This guy is a LIAR.....
There is no way he got two direct deposits from UPS the same day. If someone put an inquiry on your check it wouldn't even of been processed yet. Do you think payroll is like a drag and drop program? Do you think they said "oh we messed up this check drag 30 dollars and some change into this dumb kids account." Next your check was processed on tuesday, actually monday. You found out it was wrong yesterday. I know we have some bright people in payroll but they can see the future now too? You are a LIAR. You missed the pool, you ate the yellow snow, you rode the short bus, None of this ever happened to you. LIAR!!!!!!!

PendingACH CreditUNITED PARCEL PAYROLL PPD $193.58

PendingACH CreditUNITED PARCEL PAYROLL PPD $30.64

and like I said in my post, they must of already knew of the mistake before I did and processed it in time. I dont know how they did it but I got it, here is a screen shot..so blah IN YOUR FACE... the only liar here is your mom for saying you were not a mistake when she had you

l_062347d3cf7f46baa2fc4e816263ac82.jpg

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

If you are responding to hocohelper, I believe if you go over 8 that you lose the time and a half pay and it goes to straight time. BUT I think as a casual temp driver usually you are seen as a FT driver, not PT.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
If you are responding to hocohelper, I believe if you go over 8 that you lose the time and a half pay and it goes to straight time. BUT I think as a casual temp driver usually you are seen as a FT driver, not PT.

No if you are working inside PT. In my building it has always been OT over 5 if you work 1 shift and OT over 8 if you are working doubles (example twi 4 1/2 + Midnite 4 1/2 = 8hrs @ straight pay and 1 hr @ time and a half)

hocohelper

Sorry guys, maybe I wasn't so clear in my first post. I was hired as a temporary/ seasonal drivers helper a couple weeks ago and my employment with UPS ends after Christmas. I am not a driver. I am interested in finding out I am entitled to receive overtime (time and a half Im assuming) pay if I work over a certain (X) amount of hours in one day out in the PC helping the driver make delieveries and pickups... I had a couple days where I worked over 5 hours ( 6 hours one day, 7 another...) and wanted to know if any of that would be considered overtime? I know I am the lowest of the low in the ranks at UPS but just want to be paid every dollar I have rightfully earned. I figure if I ask my contacts in the center they could very well tell me whatever they want and I'd really have no recourse so I figure I'd look for an honest answer here. thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hoco, I believe your hours worked are at straight time and overtime would not kick in until you work more than 8 hours. I have never had this come up with any of my helpers.

HBGPreloader

Boy, this sounds like it's becoming a common occurrence. Myself and many others where I work were not properly compensated for overtime work either.

Perhaps it's some sort of budget cutting idea management came up with to make their numbers look good?

Anyway, under the copy of the central supplement I found online, it states...

" Part-time employees when reporting to work as scheduled, shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3-1/2) hours; should any part-time employee work beyond the fifth (5th) hour, he/she shall be paid one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular hourly rate for those hours worked in excess of five (5) on that day."

This should be found under Article 11-Part-time employees; section 1 paragraph 2.

From what I understand, the one way management can easily circumvent this is if you "volunteered" to work an extra shift, which would mean you would not receive overtime pay until you worked more than 8 hours.

Hmmm, as I'm reading the supplement, I also found section 6 interesting...

Section 6
All part-time employees shall be given a paid break of ten (10) minutes per shift or part-time operation. Breaks shall not be scheduled prior to one (1) hour of work being performed.

So, am I to believe that we are allowed a 10 minute break during our regular shift? Or, am I relying on an outdated copy of the supplement?

NY11725

Boy, this sounds like it's becoming a common occurrence. Myself and many others where I work were not properly compensated for overtime work either.

Perhaps it's some sort of budget cutting idea management came up with to make their numbers look good?

Anyway, under the copy of the central supplement I found online, it states...

" Part-time employees when reporting to work as scheduled, shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3-1/2) hours; should any part-time employee work beyond the fifth (5th) hour, he/she shall be paid one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular hourly rate for those hours worked in excess of five (5) on that day."

This should be found under Article 11-Part-time employees; section 1 paragraph 2.

From what I understand, the one way management can easily circumvent this is if you "volunteered" to work an extra shift, which would mean you would not receive overtime pay until you worked more than 8 hours.

Hmmm, as I'm reading the supplement, I also found section 6 interesting...

Section 6
All part-time employees shall be given a paid break of ten (10) minutes per shift or part-time operation. Breaks shall not be scheduled prior to one (1) hour of work being performed.

So, am I to believe that we are allowed a 10 minute break during our regular shift? Or, am I relying on an outdated copy of the supplement?

Your bldg should cut for a 10 minute break after the 1st hour before the 3rd.

NY11725

So it turns out that 30 dollars I got happened to be my vacation payout for the one day I never used..so I starting bugging them about my OT, and they starting giving me BS about the economy, and all this other junk. So I left it alone for a week, I checked my check online for this past week and I was paid 37 minutes of OT for working 37minutes over 5hrs...

so they paid me for 37min but not 1hr 36min from the week before?

so last night I went up to the shop steward / union rep guy who is always there, and i told him all of this, and he was real cool, and on my side 100%, he said I wont be here tomorrow ( today ) but monday bring me both stubs, and I will walk into the office with you, and I guarantee he ( boss ) wont pull any of that. Kept telling me im entitled to my OT ( which I already ) and he is going to take care of it on monday for me. This past monday I put 1hr 40min of OT in and I am expecting that next week.

so stay on top of your shyt, and dont let them BS you around

So it turns out that 30 dollars I got happened to be my vacation payout for the one day I never used..so I starting bugging them about my OT, and they starting giving me BS about the economy, and all this other junk. So I left it alone for a week, I checked my check online for this past week and I was paid 37 minutes of OT for working 37minutes over 5hrs...

so they paid me for 37min but not 1hr 36min from the week before?

so last night I went up to the shop steward / union rep guy who is always there, and i told him all of this, and he was real cool, and on my side 100%, he said I wont be here tomorrow ( today ) but monday bring me both stubs, and I will walk into the office with you, and I guarantee he ( boss ) wont pull any of that. Kept telling me im entitled to my OT ( which I already ) and he is going to take care of it on monday for me. This past monday I put 1hr 40min of OT in and I am expecting that next week.

so stay on top of your shyt, and dont let them BS you around
The only thing I can see that you did wrong was you waited too long to talk to the steward about this issue. If you had done so right away, you could have already spent that money.
Folks, when it comes to contractual issues, NEVER EVER take managements interpretation of the contract, they will always choose the slant that benefits them not YOU.

paidover95

I know down in mass if you are part time and you volenteer for an extra shift,they only have to pay you straight time for the hours worked.WE ARE PART OF THE NEW ENGLAND SUPPLEMENT.

UPS Lifer

Well I remember last year anything over 5 hours for a p/t in one day is OT

well last monday i worked 6hrs and 36 minutes, which would be 1 hr and 36min OT

well i checked my check online , and there is no OT on my check

I am short $25

Did I miss something?

I know I have been gone for 2 years but did OT change on the last contract or is this some sort of penalty pay if you work over 5 hours?

When I worked in California, you didn't get OT until you worked 8 hours whether or not you were PT or FT.

NY11725

The only thing I can see that you did wrong was you waited too long to talk to the steward about this issue. If you had done so right away, you could have already spent that money.
Folks, when it comes to contractual issues, NEVER EVER take managements interpretation of the contract, they will always choose the slant that benefits them not YOU.

I did not wait too long at all...I mentioned it last thursday to my mgr after checking my check online wednesday night...Its been a on going issue until yesterday when I went to the shop steward..and I doubt I would of already spent the money, it still has to be processed and deposited into my account, but the wait is fine with me, Im getting another hour and a half of OT this coming paycheck, so im sure my other OT will be on it as well, so it should be a nice check along with 23.5 hours for the week

NY11725

I know down in mass if you are part time and you volenteer for an extra shift,they only have to pay you straight time for the hours worked.WE ARE PART OF THE NEW ENGLAND SUPPLEMENT.

Well, thats not the case with me, I was asked to come in early for the past 3 mondays