Other jobs...

S

serenity now

What other jobs did you have before coming to UPS?

(sorry scratch, you don't get to play) :wink2:

took foods orders on a tray out to people in their cars at an old style drive-in
repaired single cylinder 4-cycle engines
short order cook (pick it up)
gopher at a USDA Harvesting & Processing research center
service rep. for a farm equipment manufacturer
front desk clerk at a motel
forklift/reachtruck operator at a huge distribution warehouse
caught newspapers coming off the printing press (fast paced)

always left on goods terms at the time of my choosing

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Worked for a state park. Mostly mowing.

Worked for our village.

Worked for a community college.

Made emergency brakes.

Landscaper.

Most of my jobs have been physical labor types.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Worked in the shipping department of a Christmas bulb factory during the summer while going to college.

Worked in the deli department of a grocery store while in high school.

Put gas on airplanes while in the Air Force.

Worked the graveyard shift stocking shelves in a grocery store and delivered auto parts during the day when I was a casual driver.

QKRSTKR

I had numerous jobs while I was part time at UPS. Grocery store, painter, roofer, cut grass, last one was transit bus driver. Before UPS I worked at a bowling alley. Mostly in back as mechanic (pinchaser) fixed automatic pin spotters when they broke. That was the only job I had before UPS, I was hired when I was 18.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So u pretty much got hired off the street right after the military?!?!? U know your a pretty lucky man.

I was technically still in the Air Force (terminal leave) when I was hired by UPS. The DM at the time preferred hiring veterans whenever possible. This was long before hiring a vet became the right thing to do.

barnyard

KTM rider
I managed a dairy farm
sold binoculars and telescopes
owned my own photo studio
worked for a multi-line sales rep at sport shows in the winter (while I was PT at UPS)
demoed smokers and grills for the local hardware store at home shows and cooking demos

While I was in college I worked for the UofMn Southern Experiment Station. I was offered a FT gig when I graduated and did not take it. I am fairly certain if I had, I would still be there. A union-represented farm job. If only I knew then, what a know now. Sigh.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
during/after High School I worked at either a local carry-out shop and Subway.

After that I worked at a body shop for about 6 years, 3 of which I also worked pt at UPS.

I stay at jobs for quite a while, so this 30 year stint at UPS should be cake

Kis124

Security
Mechanic
Deli
Auto parts delivery
various light industrial (including injection mold speculums) lol

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
In order since age 15, cashier, stock boy, age 18 did stocking overnight at Petsmart, moved up through the ranks to Store Manager with 5 management and 30 employees under me. Was the youngest store manager in the history of the company, did that for 5 years and on the 5th year, 1 day, left the keys in the desk and quit. Decided from that point forward I would never compromise my family, people under me, or myself in the name of corporate incompetence and greed. I would never do another salary job or be responsible for others that I had no choice to lie to or undermine their lives to get more production out of them so I could keep my job.

Applied at UPS and was asked if I was interested in starting as a PT sup, on a fast track to FT sup. Explained the above story to the hiring manager and took a pt job on reload while working pt at Target doing planograms, trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. FT driving job came up and gave it a shot, the rest is history.

DS

Fenderbender
Toronto star hopper,(hop off back of truck with bundles for stores,
subway stations etc)
I worked at a plastic moulding place making cigarillo tips,
Receiver at a warehouse,Many temp jobs.
Then I got into selling records.
Alldisc,A&A records,Records on wheels...
Started to hate it,asked our ups driver Murray if
ups was hiring,that was 23 years ago.