Our Local is worthless!!

scoutlover

This has gotten out of hand. Several full time drivers were notified at 7 pm on Friday night that they were being forced to work at 9 am on Saturday morning to deliver air. One would think that this would be an open and shut case in that the M-friend driver was not given 24, 48, or 5 day notice depending on interpretation. Our local took the side of the company saying article 40 says air operations supersedes everything in the contract and we are forced to work. Anyone not showing up will be fired under refusal to work or gross insubordination. They also don't feel as if there is anything to file on and this has come from the BA and higher(RTW state). This is just the latest BS from an ever weakening Local. They tell us to take the punishment and then possibly file later. I thought the Brotherhood was supposed to protect us beforehand. What will end up happening is we will work to avoid being fired,file a grievance and then in 8 months when it's heard, they'll say "You know what? You were right about that. Sorry. Have a good day!!". It's the same way with any infraction that doesn't offer any punishment like being pulled off your bid route, etc. They do it over and over for a year, hear the grievance a year later, apologize, and continue to do the same thing over and over. The S.S.'s are all on our side but obviously they're hands are tied. Is there any hope?

Ouch

Why is it everything is our local sucks, our local is weak, our local is in bed with the company. The union members have the right to change the local every election date. So your local has become weak on this one instance? If you dont like it, file on it. Get your members together and form a slate. Maybe your local is calling you guys weak for letting ups get away with contract violations. Your local is only as strong as its members.

scoutlover

Why is it everything is our local sucks, our local is weak, our local is in bed with the company. The union members have the right to change the local every election date. So your local has become weak on this one instance? If you dont like it, file on it. Get your members together and form a slate. Maybe your local is calling you guys weak for letting ups get away with contract violations. Your local is only as strong as its members.

Hardly this one instance. This is just the most blatant example of the contract not being worth the paper it was written on. If we had the power to inform and motivate the people we wouldn't be in this situation. But obviously that isn't the case. So my question is what help do we have when no one stands together and shows support? And as for whiskers, I've got a full beard so to speak. That's another reason this sucks so bad.

Ouch

If you cant get anyone to stand together that is a serious problem when it comes to unions. Have you met with your ba? Do you attend union meetings? Do you voice your opinion to your steward and ba? Have you talked to your fellow employees about making a change? Do you know your locals officials? I would start with a long conversation with my steward and go up from their. If you dont feel that your local is concerned with upholding the contract make a change. Be a solution. Sometimes if the local doesnt feel like its members are concerned they tend to not know which way to go. You have to start somewhere. I use to get my fellow workers to meet me at a local restaurant on sat or sunday, being a steward I always liked to hear some concerns they had. Its hard to talk to your members while at the hub. Ask your steward if he would meet yall for breakfast one morning and voice yalls opinions to him. Gotta start somewhere.

Translation:

" We sit on our ass when everything is in our benefit but the elected officials suck when their decision doesn't go our way. Work to fix it!? That sucks even more! "

cb1969

Your local is not the only one that sucks...my local BA might as well be the Labor Manager...He works like UPS pays his salary.....

This has gotten out of hand. Several full time drivers were notified at 7 pm on Friday night that they were being forced to work at 9 am on Saturday morning to deliver air. One would think that this would be an open and shut case in that the M-friend driver was not given 24, 48, or 5 day notice depending on interpretation. Our local took the side of the company saying article 40 says air operations supersedes everything in the contract and we are forced to work. Anyone not showing up will be fired under refusal to work or gross insubordination. They also don't feel as if there is anything to file on and this has come from the BA and higher(RTW state). This is just the latest BS from an ever weakening Local. They tell us to take the punishment and then possibly file later. I thought the Brotherhood was supposed to protect us beforehand. What will end up happening is we will work to avoid being fired,file a grievance and then in 8 months when it's heard, they'll say "You know what? You were right about that. Sorry. Have a good day!!". It's the same way with any infraction that doesn't offer any punishment like being pulled off your bid route, etc. They do it over and over for a year, hear the grievance a year later, apologize, and continue to do the same thing over and over. The S.S.'s are all on our side but obviously they're hands are tied. Is there any hope?
Cry me a river Malory. You are supposed to max out your hours Einstein Monday thru Friday the last week of peak if you don't want to work Saturday. Wake up

scoutlover

Cry me a river Malory. You are supposed to max out your hours Einstein Monday thru Friday the last week of peak if you don't want to work Saturday. Wake up

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BrownCafe mobile app

So that's your solution for a weak local?? As long as I work 60 hours a week than the union is doing their job?

So that's your solution for a weak local?? As long as I work 60 hours a week than the union is doing their job?
Listen son in the central region they can force you to work on a Saturday as long as you have hours available. If you are stupid enough to have hours available then you are forced to work. Anyway Sherlock if you are a grown ass man nobody can force you to do anything. So call off. I haven't called off this year so if they forced me today I'd be calling off boy. Family first.

40andOut

You can't run out of hours before Wednesday. Get ready to be informed on Tuesday night to come in on Christmas!

scoutlover

Listen son in the central region they can force you to work on a Saturday as long as you have hours available. If you are stupid enough to have hours available then you are forced to work. Anyway Sherlock if you are a grown ass man nobody can force you to do anything. So call off. I haven't called off this year so if they forced me today I'd be calling off boy. Family first.

So you work 60 hours every week to avoid working Saturdays? I guess in the Central region you get 52 occurrences to call in?

C

chuchu

So you work 60 hours every week to avoid working Saturdays? I guess in the Central region you get 52 occurrences to call in?

That would be 9 months X 4= 36 occurances. But that's splitting hairs. Don't be insubordinate....be "out of service" if you have to.