Our Saturdays now belong to UPS

ups79

It was like this last year in my building. It was the only week of the year that I worked Tuesday-Saturday. Read your contract it clearly states that UPS can do this so..........QUIT your crying and do your job. WA WA......You get a three day weekend and then have a five day work week. Wow that sucks.

after the tues thru sat work week, do you then go back the next week to a mon thru fri?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
socks

if the agreed upon contract language was followed, then there is no issue.

but if the manager decided that he would man saturday by his own design, and not follow the contract, i am sure you would agree it needs to change.

When UPS
(management {i added this to clarify your post, as in your mind, you guys are the only one to go out of your way for the customer})

goes out of their way to please our customers the first thing the union says is file, file, file.

why is it that you agree to a contract with the union, and the only time you feel bad about violating the contract is when you get caught with your pants down? if there is a reason to file, then that is our negotiated right. a right given to us by someone way above your pay grade. please dont forget that little tidbit, as i know sometimes you like to post like you make the rules.

if the sup violated the contract, then they have a right to file. if he did it by the book, which is the way it sounds, then filing would be a waste of time, dont you agree?

Saturday delivery is good for the company and the customer, in the end all employees will prosper.

agreed. the future will demand a more flexible workforce, one that is different than we are used to today. but there are safeguards that are built into the contract to protect both managements rights, and the rights of the employee. again, those rights were agreed to by someone way above you. so deal with it, its part of your job description.

Management and Non Management. It's hard to make things work when union employees try to make everything more difficult than it already is on management.

interesting, you post about us making everything more difficult on management like if it is all we have time to consider, but yet not one iota of how you management guys have taken a fairly simple delivery job and made it much more complex, without any consideration of the time it takes to actually do the job?

all you see is your little pigeon hole that is ups. how dare you push the blame to the drivers for your job being difficult. you helped make your bed, why blame us for your problems?

if you would honor the contract, regardless of who is watching, then maybe there would be no reason for drivers to file.

but until you accept that the true litmus test of you violating the contract are your actions, not us catching you in the act, then we dont trust you in your persinal interpretation of the contract to suit your needs.

best

d

tfinnegan

happy exupser
Oh stop the whining, for 1 week you can work the Saturday. Think about it maybe the company should just lay you off for a few days, and cause you make so much money you are unable to collect any unemployment money. Maybe the 3 or 4 day work week will make you shut your mouth. If you don't like the way things are run where you work then start looking for a job elsewhere. Walmart is hiring...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Here in New England it was changed in the 1987 supplement along with air drivers, another junk contract negotiated for us. Schedule is M-friend or Tu-Sat. for full-time employees hired after July 31, 1987. The schedule when changed shall be posted on Monday to be effective the following Monday.

So here, they can bounce you as much as they want. It just is not practical or needed to use full-time drivers on Saturdays except on rare days like this, after a big Friday snowstorm or when Christmas is on Sunday or Monday.

That is not true for inside employees, at least to avoid overtime. My date is previous to 8/1/02, like Red said, and any Saturday that is NOT a scheduled workday in my bid (22.3 m-friend) is automatically time and a half. I dealt with that this peak, working Sundays. They did not want to pay OT, but if you are grandfathered under the old contract, you get OT for sat and sun.

The OP said that avoiding paying overtime was the reason for the T-S switch.

Braveheart

It looks like our Saturdays are officially fair game.

One of the benefits of the job is the five day work week. Monday through Friday, we give our days and most of our evenings to UPS, but the weekends have always belonged to us.

Until today.

I was informed this morning that for the week ending February 13, aka valentines Saturday, myself and the 3 other bottom seniority drivers in our center will be working a Tues through Saturday week, so that we may cover the valentines flower rush on Saturday without being paid overtime for going over 40 hours.

This is a new low, as now it seems UPS can intrude on our weekends as well as our evenings.

I have been a driver for nearly 15 years, part-time and full-time. Using full-time drivers to help out on a Saturday is nothing new. But the full-timers have always signed up by seniority, and with the exception of a Christmas Eve Saturday, I have never seen a full-timer forced to work a Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that this is contractual, but according to both my center management and our alternate union steward, this appears to be contractual.

We’ve lost the ability to make Saturday plans without concern over UPS deciding we need to give that time to them.

Not in my area. They have tried to do this during peak and we won.

File file file.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
No, they're not. They didn't ask anyone. Perhaps if they had asked for volunteers, none of this grievance talk would have even happened.

Why does UPS do everything the hard way?

Because the contract won't let it? I saw a post that said if they did it that way, they would owe the double time for the 6th day. What does the contract say about asking for volunteers?

tieguy

Banned
We have some good little UPSers here, judging by the pounding I've taken.

as it should be. Some honesty is good for the soul. Some of it is generational. Those guys high in seniority got screwed with some crap assignments when it was their turn in the barrel.

Research the contract language and if it supports the shift change then take it on the chin like a man. :happy-very:

iruhnman630

as it should be. Some honesty is good for the soul. Some of it is generational. Those guys high in seniority got screwed with some crap assignments when it was their turn in the barrel.

Research the contract language and if it supports the shift change then take it on the chin like a man. :happy-very:
If after talking with my stewards, this one looks to be a no-win fight, as I believe it will, I will be a good little UPSer, reliving the glory days of my part-time Saturday driving youth.

But it's unfortunate that they've set a new precedent for our building. From here on out we'll need to check the calender for Hallmark holidays before making those weekend plans.

If the chin is the worst place he has to take it then he`s doing OK.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Just remember- If a hourly is working, I'll bet bottom dollar that a member or two of Management is working also. And I bet they are really happy about it also. I would just suck it up and work- It's not like it's the end of the world. And just like RWSMith posted- don't even think about feeders- You WILL end up losing some of your weekend until you have 30-35 years of seniority.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If after talking with my stewards, this one looks to be a no-win fight, as I believe it will, I will be a good little UPSer, reliving the glory days of my part-time Saturday driving youth.

But it's unfortunate that they've set a new precedent for our building. From here on out we'll need to check the calender for Hallmark holidays before making those weekend plans.
Don't forget that you are still guaranteed 8hrs this day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Anything is worth a try in the grievance game but I think an arbitrator will see the language is there and recognize that ups has the right to adjust someones schedule.

The guy got over a months notice of this one week change. Sounds like his management group really went out of their way to give him plenty of notice.

Personally I think his crying and whining makes all teamsters look bad. Teamsters love seniority unless they don't have any.:happy-very:

Is it a cold day it Hell? Is it a blue moon tonight! It's not often that I find myself on the same page with Tie, but I'm going to have to say he's got it right. We do play for opposite teams after all. The contract in my region supports this practice, so we're forced to live with it. We don't have to like it, just live with it. I predict this is just the tip of the iceberg. As I drive around on Saturdays, I often see FedEx Ground out delivering. How long before we follow suit?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Stick it to the company if the sell out stewards/union stick it to you. right on!
As I see, nobody is sticking it to anybody. Sell out? All the steward did was demonstrate an ability to read. As far as the union, we have no idea what was at stake when they negotiated that language. It could have garnered us a bigger raise. I don't know and neither do you. The world is getting smaller and the game is ever changing. The contract is not immuned and will be subject to change on each go around.

The Milkman

socks

if the agreed upon contract language was followed, then there is no issue.

but if the manager decided that he would man saturday by his own design, and not follow the contract, i am sure you would agree it needs to change.

interesting, you post about us making everything more difficult on management like if it is all we have time to consider, but yet not one iota of how you management guys have taken a fairly simple delivery job and made it much more complex, without any consideration of the time it takes to actually do the job?

all you see is your little pigeon hole that is ups. how dare you push the blame to the drivers for your job being difficult. you helped make your bed, why blame us for your problems?

if you would honor the contract, regardless of who is watching, then maybe there would be no reason for drivers to file.

but until you accept that the true litmus test of you violating the contract are your actions, not us catching you in the act, then we dont trust you in your persinal interpretation of the contract to suit your needs.

best

d

Right On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy2: