our so-called "safety committees"

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...If a committee is structured, with all requested committee members the awareness needed to create a safe work environment is attainable....
Awareness is not enough. It serves no purpose to be aware of a problem if there is no willingness on the part of UPS to do anything about it.
I am "aware"...that a P500 package car does not have a shoulder belt, and that in a head-on collision my head will go through the windshield. I am "aware"...that UPS made a business decision that the life of its employee was not worth the additional $50 that a shoulder belt wold have cost. That "awareness" isnt going to save my life in a collision. Acronyms arent going to save my life in a collision. The 10 point commentary isnt going to save my life in a collision. Neither will posters, stickers, muffins, or other junior high-school mentality safety drivel. How about a :censored2: 3 point seat belt, UPS?

L

Load Stand

Awareness is not enough. It serves no purpose to be aware of a problem if there is no willingness on the part of UPS to do anything about it.
I am "aware"...that a P500 package car does not have a shoulder belt, and that in a head-on collision my head will go through the windshield. I am "aware"...that UPS made a business decision that the life of its employee was not worth the additional $50 that a shoulder belt wold have cost. That "awareness" isnt going to save my life in a collision. Acronyms arent going to save my life in a collision. The 10 point commentary isnt going to save my life in a collision. Neither will posters, stickers, muffins, or other junior high-school mentality safety drivel. How about a :censored2: 3 point seat belt, UPS?

How about the fact that we have drivers not wearing their safety belt at all, even when they have the three-point? I do not mean to be rude, and mean no disrespect in this question, but have we lost a driver because of the two point belt? If so, I have not heard of it, but I geniunely would like to know.

deezilfuelonly

Sober I am right there with you 100%. I would have more respect for their ridiculous policy of having to recite 10 pt. commentary, 5 seeing habits, 8 keys etc. if they would tell us the real reason for it. I believe it has nothing to do with them caring about our health. It has everything to do with Liberty Mutual. I learned this the day I quit the safety commitee about 3 years ago. I was in a meeting that featured a manager who was trying to "teach" us how it was possible to get every employee to admit that every accident/injury was somehow their fault.
after hearing this guy's speech I felt sick to my stomach and decided that "safety" at UPS is only about money and their relationship with Liberty Mutual. I'm absolutely positive that if OSHA was somehow eliminated UPS would eliminate every safety measure the next day. They do not care about you personally, they do care about you as a figure on their bottom line.

Channahon

Just a suggestion - do yourself favor and invite yourself to a safety committee meeting.

You can then see what goes on and bring up your concerns regarding safety at UPS.

Or you can make a request of one of your fellow employees who is on the committee, if you would rather not waste your time. As I feel that would be your response to my suggestion.

soberups

Just a suggestion - do yourself favor and invite yourself to a safety committee meeting.
You can then see what goes on and bring up your concerns regarding safety at UPS.
Or you can make a request of one of your fellow employees who is on the committee, if you would rather not waste your time. As I feel that would be your response to my suggestion.
Been there, done that. The last time I went to a meeting, they spent most of it discussing what type of doughnuts they were going to buy. They also invented a new acronym for the 5 Steps of Lifting and Lowering (Workers Eating Doughnuts Look Marvelous), and appointed someone to put footprint stickers on the floor to help lead the employees to the "safe zone". It was, quite frankly, very juvenile.
4 years ago, I requested that a grab rail be installed on the outside of the pup trailer that I load and unload 200 pkgs a day from, and suggested that ALL pup trailers be equipped with one. I even suggested that USED grabrails be removed from some old P6's that were being retired. The response? "Well, we can't, we are not authorized to modify the equipment." When I asked how we were able then to install trailer hitches on package cars, I was told "well, thats different". It was agreed that the safety commitee would "look into it". That was four years ago, and nothing has been done....but by golly I've been tested on the 10pt commentary 40 times a year!!!

Fnix

Lifting and Lowering is 8 keys and what is a safety zone? Is that a place where you can sit and not get injured?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Boy is this not a passionate thread.

I see several issues I would like to comment on.

Load stand
There is nothing deemed outside of any OSHA/DOT safety standard that we have.
Maybe you did not see this?

"The Redwood man who alleged he was fired by UPS for reporting unsafe trucks has reached a settlement with the company, according to papers filed in the Jefferson County Clerk’s Office.

Daniel Peterson filed suit against United Parcel Service Inc. in February of last year alleging he was fired for complaining about the company's trucks and for taking defective trucks out of service against management's orders. Peterson, a mechanic for the company said the trucks had cracked and rusted out frames and were unsafe to drive.
Peterson claimed he removed inspection stickers from four trucks in March 2006 because of cracked frames. Four days later, he was fired for what the company termed "falsification of company and legal documents, poor workmanship in the repairs you made to the vehicles and failure to follow methods and procedures."
According to the Watertown Daily Times this morning, the settlement awaits a judge's approval. Terms of the agreement are not being disclosed, but Peterson’s lawsuit was for $2 million.
Peterson’s actions led to an investigation by the state Attorney General's office into whether UPS knowingly kept decrepit and unsafe truck on the road. That investigation is still ongoing. "

So there are real issues that need to be addressed at UPS regarding safety. Also, I believe I recall not too long ago in one of our buildings a young sup was killed by faulty grounding, and OSHA fined UPS not so much for the problem but the cover up was what really got them pissed. Now, a company that is really serious about employee safety would not be involved with a cover up would they?

Now to my personal experiences on the safety committee. I was number 2 in seniority when I started, and at the end, I was number 1. Most of the other regulars on the committee were also seasoned drivers, most with 15 years or more experience. Two of us were also shop stewards.

Standard proceedure, all drivers were invited to the regular meetings to discuss safety issues and concerns. Any concern was put on the log, and usually within 24 hours there was action to correct the problem. Some times, WE, the hourly on the committee, took care of the problem ourselves. For instance, in our building, there were many times in the PM where trucks were pulled in off the road, and when they were empty and pulled out, there were large oil puddles on the floor. Now, when you mix water from the car wash, and oil, things get slick. Slick concrete is a safety issue. Anyone on the safety committee or even any other hourly could code out the diad to safety meeting and put the clay on the floor. Very few drivers did so except those on the committee, but it got done.

If there was any, and I do mean any issues that had merit that were not addressed and solved by the next safety meeting, there had better be a good reason, or a safety grievance was filed. After the second one, we never had to file another one again.

Something else, since a large part of our day was in our trucks, we also had a mechanic at all our meetings, and sometimes the mechanical sup and building maintanence as well. That way, any issues in those areas were dealt with right on the spot.

Out of 130 drivers or so in the center, there were usually 30-50 in attendence at each meeting. The only things that were given out were biscuits at the meeting, and then we had a drawing each month for an item. It ranged from really nice things from the catalog (usually the winner got to pick out what they wanted under $100. For each quarter that we did not have an accident, we did things like have a drawing for a color TV, Tickets to the race, etc etc. One even got an all expense paid trip to the Daytona 500.

So our building was quite a bit different than what has been represented above.

I know that a lot of the reality of safety is dependent on management. If they really want to fix the problems, then spend the time and money to fix the problems, not buying candy and apples.

But maybe if you quit bitching about the problems that did not get fixed, and got actively involved instead, there might be a change? Or is it just easier to stand back and throw rocks.

JMHO

d

Donkeyboy

Truly the most thankless job in the world. Management thinks that when you come in early for safety work you are stealing time. And your co-workers think you are a kiss /ss. WHY BOTHER?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Because when you measure the results, you can see a difference. And for all the BS, knowing you made a difference in the way accidents and injuries happen, no one can take that satisfaction away from you.

Thats why.

d

L

Load Stand

Dannyboy, that reference to having a mechanic disagree about a vehicle worthiness appears to be just that. There are often disputes that result in settlement, and the fact there was a $2 mil demand means nothing. For all we know, this mechanic decided to take a much smaller lump and move on with his life. DOT has not said that we were wrong. It is still investigating. That reference to a grounding electrical issue sounds valid, and unfortunate. If an issue like that was brought to our attention, then obviuosly it would be corrected. Not sure what the alleged coverup was though.

I agree that sometimes hourly committee members can get these done directly. I have seen some management get distracted and never could get issues corrected.

Esty

Well Let me add in this 10-pt Commentary and 5 seeing habits and all the other stuff as we are supost to know In my building we were told yesterday that if we dont know all of that stuff bye 4/1/08 there will be disciplinery action write ups and suspensions maybe worse
Why isnt this something that Employes came up with and then ups made it policy
So now we can lose our jobs over this B/S
So Now our brother Teamsters or employes handed them a way to Get rid Of Us
My problem with this stuff is I know it all But when Im asked to define the whole thing I'm like a dear in the Head lites I lock up
I practice this everyday of my life work or not work related because UPS drilled it in to my Head I just cant explain it and now if they ask me the 10-pt Commentary Im suspended
:censored2::censored2::censored2:
safty people your cool and all but you people need to know and think about how this will affect other workers lives I have 3 kids and a wife if I loose this job because I missed a step on lifting a package I dont know how I will suport my family hey it may work out better but I would rather not finde out

over9five

Staff member
Thank your safety committee members for helping the company come up with these new disciplinary procedures.

I think they can now give out warning letters too. At the very least they report to the management team on who should get a warning letter.

barnyard

KTM rider
Thank your safety committee members for helping the company come up with these new disciplinary procedures.

I think they can now give out warning letters too. At the very least they report to the management team on who should get a warning letter.

That is so far from wrong. You seriously need to spend time attending safety committee meetings.

I cannot believe some of the misguided, idiotic statements I have read regarding safety committees.

TB

soberups

But maybe if you quit bitching about the problems that did not get fixed, and got actively involved instead, there might be a change? Or is it just easier to stand back and throw rocks.
JMHO
d
I do get actively involved. When I see a safety issue, I report it to management. If they dont act upon it...I file a grievance. THAT is how you get results. The safety commitee is useless as a means to get a safety issue resolved.

soberups

Truly the most thankless job in the world. Management thinks that when you come in early for safety work you are stealing time. And your co-workers think you are a kiss /ss. WHY BOTHER?
Because its a lot easier to make $28 an hour handing out muffins than it is to deliver packages.

soberups

Well Let me add in this 10-pt Commentary and 5 seeing habits and all the other stuff as we are supost to know In my building we were told yesterday that if we dont know all of that stuff bye 4/1/08 there will be disciplinery action write ups and suspensions maybe worse
Nowhere in the contract does it say that our job description includes rote memorization of asinine buzzwords and slogans.
They can require you...and PAY you...to come in and read whatever they want you to read, and listen to whatever they want you to listen to. You CANNOT be required to recite it on cue like a trained parakeet. Whoever told you that you would be facing suspension for failing a silly "test" needs to get a clue about the labor agreement we work under.

soberups

I cannot believe some of the misguided, idiotic statements I have read regarding safety committees.
TB
I cannot believe some of the misguided, idiotic statements I have been told BY our safety commitee.
The reality of the situation is this; a company that makes a business decision to dispatch a human being onto a public highway in a P5 or P600 package car shouldn't even have the right to SAY the word "safety" much less try to pretend that they care about it.
UPS's attitude towards safety can be summarized in its decision to save $50 by refusing to install a shoulder belt in a package car. That says it all right there. I understand that the equipment meets the minumum legal requirements in place at the time; but PLEASE UPS...dont insult my intelligence any further by trying to pretend that you actually give a damn about my well being.
Just shut the hell up and let me do my job.

helenofcalifornia

Soberups is sooo... right about the grab rail and the UPS policy of they can't do it because it's "a modification" to the truck. How many times did we hear that until we finally got the new trucks. And at our center, drivers that want to attend the safety meeting can't because of the overtime they will accrue at the end of the day. UPS does pay lip service to safety.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Interesting you should bring up hand rails.

We went through that right before I left. Went all the way to corp in Atlanta according to management. could not do it because it was a modification, and the modification would make UPS responsible for the item should it ever fail.

But low and behold, since I no longer work there, and have been able to travel some, what do I see but package cars that are just like the ones at our center with TWO handrails on the passenger side of the car. I know they did not come that way, so who put them on? And why are the rest of the USA not allowed?

9.5, I am seriously disapointed in this garbage being posted by you. It is way beneath your status on this site.

First off, the Union bargained for that language, and the company was more than happy to agree, since doing something along the lines of safety would go a long way to fullfilling the OSHA agreement they petitioned for to keep from paying all those nasty penalties.

Now, how can an hourly give another hourly a warning letter or any type of dicipline? You been doing too many jello shooters?

The Contract states
The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee

Ok, so how did the non union or what ever you called them get to be cochairs if you did not vote them in? UPS does not install them, you do, the rank and file. If you dont like the way things are being done, change them. Quit crying. Geez.

If your safety committee is not being effective, get involved. If by some chance there is actually any type of disipline going on because of another union person's conduct, then let the Union know. They will put a stop to it, I promise.

Esty

If they try disipline on you for that, let me know. As long as you know it, that is all that matters. I too have recall problems if you put me on the spot, but I still know it forward and backward. And as long as I know it on the route or on the road, that is all the matters. If you get harrassed, file an ADA complaint. That should stop it fairly quickly.

d