our so-called "safety committees"

Pip

I'll probably get tar and feathered here, but I'll give my 2 cents. Far as safety committee's go. The Committee is only as good as those involved on it want to be. I have seen firsthand what a proactive safety committee can do when things are brought to their attention. Those people, management included can make a difference, by working together.

Taking a proactive stance and dealing with a problem and finding solutions to potential safety issues is what the safety committee is all about. It is a way of keeping the lines of communication open, between management and the hourly employees.

Here is the kicker that i see, from talking to other people from other buildings. not everybody is on the same page. Either you got management taking it serious and not the hourly members, or just the opposite. In order for the safety committee to be effective, everybody has to be on the same page. Everybody in the building has to know who there safety committee person is, so that if an issue comes up, it can be brought to the attention of a committee members.

In our building. A couple days before the monthly meeting. Safety committee members will go around and actually talk to everybody and see if there are any issues that need addressed. Then that information is taken to the meeting for discussion. It is not out of the question to invite building maintenance supervisors, automotive supervisors or district personal to a meeting to discuss a specific situation.

Safety committee's can be useful if used properly. It is up to all the people involved to see that it is used as a communications tool, not just a way to get some OT or "kiss up".

Just for the record, i am not on the safety committee in our building. But I have seen what the people on the committee can do if everybody is working together.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Pip

What an honest reply. I have seen the same thing here. Only difference is that if the employee wants to attend the meeting, all they do is attend. It is an open meeting for all employees.

The safety committee is for everyone, not just management. IF everybody gets involved it can be very very effective.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Pip

I have posted that they do work when everybody is invovled.

We even had the preload safety cochair attend our meeting, it really helped to network between the preload and drivers. Ironically, one of the safety issues they brought up was drivers in the package car before start time. the extra body inside an already crammed car made for an unsafe environment. As a consequence, no more in the cars before start time. First offense, a warning letter, second a suspension, third was 5 day, then gone.

and you know what? On road production actually increased. Not much, but it did increase.

d PS, Dagum computer, lost the first post, then I reposted and now both of them are here. Sorry.

browniehound

Its No problem browniehound but lets put this to rest and I will try and give you a very simple answer
employer = UPS
employee = Me I'm a driver
employes =me and you together
up until the other day I had no idea that employee had 2 "E" but now I will never forget it thank you

like I said before I am dyslexic I have always been dyslexic
dyslexia doesn't just happen out of the blue and if it dose your most likely having a stroke (call 911)

I have all my life struggled with dyslexia and because of my dyslexia my reading and writing suffered alot
I have always avoided this kinda stuff forums and all
only recently in the pass 3 years did I decide to pick up a book and read it (The Lord of the Rings Harry Potter)

I hope that was Plain enough for you
because this post is way off topic and I would like to drop it
I down loaded the spell check that scratch recommended thank you sir

Esty,
Consider this subject put to rest.

Like Danny posted, I never paid attention to spelling and puncuation until posting on forums and using the spell checker. It has actually taught me better grammar and spelling than my 12th grade english teacher!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
One better than that. I failed typing. But now I can type way better than I would have ever dreamed possible. While not as fast as my nimbled fingered wife (keep a clean mind:angry:), I am pretty fast and darn accurate.

d

browniehound

One better than that. I failed typing. But now I can type way better than I would have ever dreamed possible. While not as fast as my nimbled fingered wife (keep a clean mind:angry:), I am pretty fast and darn accurate.

d

Danny,
Wife jokes aside (you mentioned it not me), I also took typing, LOL. It was 8th grade. I know I didn't fail, but I didn't get an "A" either. Home computers were just becoming popular at this time(mid eighties), but our typing teacher wanted us to put our 10 fingers on certain keys and work from there. That is actually the most effiicient way to type.

Then you get us guys who just want to punch at every key as fast as we can and there is no way to re-program us. Danny, we are pretty fast, but we are not even close to as efficient as our fellow students who recieved an "A" in typing in 1982!

Do they still have typing classes in middle school? I'm very curious to know!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Ironically, one of the safety issues they brought up was drivers in the package car before start time. the extra body inside an already crammed car made for an unsafe environment. As a consequence, no more in the cars before start time. First offense, a warning letter, second a suspension, third was 5 day, then gone.

and you know what? On road production actually increased. Not much, but it did increase.

Dannyboy, You write great posts and I don't differ to far from your opinions but how the heck is that a safety issue. If anything, and I mean anything the driver is simply in the way of the loader and should get out of the way. Rude, yeah. Safety issue, not even close. I don't even know how this could be brought up without someone laughing at the meeting

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ah, but there you and I differ. Safety is the reduction of injuries by documentating the unsafe behavior. It is also limiting the exposure to unsafe behavior or potential accidents.

So you are telling me that no one has ever been injured while sorting through their truck before start time? How is that possible? And while UPS insurance will cover the injury, it can not be workers comp, because you were not injured on the job. ( see the liability issue???????)

Secondly, space is at a premium in the preload areas. Many times, the preloader really does not have the space for himself, much less someone else standing in the way. Someone that is not suposed to be there in the first place. Someone that for what ever reason wants to move packages around instead of leaving them where they are to begin with. It has nothing to do with rude. You are not to be on the truck before start time. To do otherwise violates not only the contract, but also UPS policy as well. There are reasons for rules, dont you agree?

Thirdly, you are falsifying your DOT time card. Know what the penalty is for that? You did know that your time card is a DOT required item, right? And you are not documenting hours worked on company time?

And that is just for starters, off the top of my head. TEll me, what part of the over all safety picture is that not?

Respectfully

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I feel that this situation would be better resolved as a union issue rather than a safety issue. Like you say, MANAGEMENT via THE SAFETY COMMITTIE is using this as grounds for dismissal when all you had to do is tell the stewards to get the guys out of their trucks before start time.

We're not to touch packages before start time let alone go through delivery stops and get in the way of the preloader. If this was your safety committies BIG HIT to enforce safety, then obviously your building is the safest one in the US

For Teamsters, this is a hot issue when viewed by them and should be dealt with in-house. (Unless the union presence is weak and this way was used instead) I know not in my center

Mike Hawk

As a preloader I generally don’t mind the driver in the truck, as long as they know how to do it without getting in my way. Most drivers in my building were preloaders at one time so they know not to stand in the 12 inches between rdr and rdl to check shelf 8. Sometimes drivers do get in the way when they are chatting, but I've never had one refuse to move if I ask them nicely. One of my drivers is the driver shop steward and uses his truck as sort of an office for a little while before the start time to talk to people about union things etc. He's an old school driver so he goes thru the truck and puts it in the order he wants it rather than pas, I just hand him stuff and he loads it, not that its much to load, 3rd on seniority list so triple digit stop count is a heavy day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Also, honestly I've only been driving for 8 years, but I've never heard of anyone getting hurt while inside their car in the AM. As a part-time sup years ago, I remember a driver pulling his back out lifting an irreg into his car (they actually had to call an ambulance)

I think that situation is rare , but I'm only in one building. Maybe things are different at your place and that was the only way to get them out of the cars (by disciplining them into a pink slip)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Heffe' my good friend, first of all, it is not a union thing, it is a company thing. The company has rules, as does the governing body that oversees transportation. One of the rules is that you dont work unless you are on duty. And you are not on duty when you are not on the clock. It is the company's responsibility to remove drivers from the trucks before start time. If they want them out there, then they have the responsibility to start them early and pay them for that time.

It is also a liability issue with lots of $$ ramifications if what I read about drivers skipping lunch is true there in California?

As you mentioned, you are just one center, and you had the "Rare" driver injured before start time doing something unsafe. Wanna bet how that was handled with insurance? Couldnt be workers comp, he was off the clock.

You know, as a father of several children, and a foster parent to many more, I understood the security of having that blanky and paci to stick in your mouth. It gave you security and comfort when you were new in the world. But after a year or so, or even two or three, it was time to put away childish things and grow up. So the paci and blanky went.

So why is it that drivers that have been on the same route or been with UPS for more than a year need to "suck their thumbs"? Grow up. Its a job. A job you get well paid for. So why would you do something that is wrong, unsafe, illegal and costly?

And as a practical matter, how can a company that is allegedly focused on safety and compliance allow this in plain view? When they have a contract that prohibits that type of behavior no less?

tell the stewards to get the guys out of their trucks before start time.
When did stewards begin to wear ties? And assume management authority?

Best

d

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
In response to the OP,

I totally agree that these safety committees are just an exercise in futility. We are about to have our monthly meeting tomorrow morning . . . a meeting I will not be attending. I realized a long time ago that each month we were just rehashing issues we had been bringing up for months, issues which management chose not to address for whatever reason. I don't give a rat's ass about the 15 minutes of extra OT. I'd rather sit in my car in the parking lot, smoking and listening to music than clock-in earlier. It's just not worth the $8.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I realized a long time ago that each month we were just rehashing issues we had been bringing up for months, issues which management chose not to address

I dont want you to take this wrong, but if the above is true, then your avitar is befitting.

In case you have not read the whole post, if management does not respond to the "concerns of the safety committee", then you begin by filing. And file and file and file until something happens. And if not, then let me know and I will find out why your union representives dont have the balls to protect your safety at work.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heffe' my good friend, first of all, it is not a union thing, it is a company thing. The company has rules, as does the governing body that oversees transportation. One of the rules is that you dont work unless you are on duty. And you are not on duty when you are not on the clock. It is the company's responsibility to remove drivers from the trucks before start time. If they want them out there, then they have the responsibility to start them early and pay them for that time.

It is also a liability issue with lots of $$ ramifications if what I read about drivers skipping lunch is true there in California?

As you mentioned, you are just one center, and you had the "Rare" driver injured before start time doing something unsafe. Wanna bet how that was handled with insurance? Couldnt be workers comp, he was off the clock.

You know, as a father of several children, and a foster parent to many more, I understood the security of having that blanky and paci to stick in your mouth. It gave you security and comfort when you were new in the world. But after a year or so, or even two or three, it was time to put away childish things and grow up. So the paci and blanky went.

So why is it that drivers that have been on the same route or been with UPS for more than a year need to "suck their thumbs"? Grow up. Its a job. A job you get well paid for. So why would you do something that is wrong, unsafe, illegal and costly?

And as a practical matter, how can a company that is allegedly focused on safety and compliance allow this in plain view? When they have a contract that prohibits that type of behavior no less?

When did stewards begin to wear ties? And assume management authority?

Best

d

D D D

You keep on rubbing your hands over that gem but it's still only fool's gold.:peaceful:

You are a very intelligent person, and you've forgoten more about this company than I probably know BUT.....

your whole last post doesn't mention anything about safety as the factor for the decision. You feel because "the ties make the rules not the browns", DOT, Insurance and falsifying timecards That is why you can't be in your truck. You also mentioned the decision went through the safety committie because of "the unsafe environment"

You've turned a molehill into a mountain when all you had to do was to have the stewards get "their teamsters" out of "your cars" before start time. SIMPLE...To the point....No committie necessary.....No pink slips......warning letters......bad blood

I've been on both sides of the war, I've seen good/bad management and I 've seen great/terrible employees. Why stir the pot when you can just throw a bone to the union officials and work peacefully on a common solution

(just opinions D.....just opinions) (+ I can't think of anymore puns....I'm too tired)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Heffe'

Who do the drivers work for, the teamsters or UPS.

If the drivers are doing something that is illegal, unsafe, etc, whos responsibility is it to stop that practice? The union? I think not. The company is the one that is responsible for removing drivers out of the trucks before start time. Period. It is not the responsibility of the union. Period.

It is because people have the same mindset as yours that you assume the responsibility rests on the union. It is because of that same mindset that they beleive that all they are doing wrong is violating a union rule, nothing more. And that is where you are totally wrong with your assumptions.

This dead bone is one that will hang around the companies neck and cause a lot of discomfort before it is all done. Wait and see. The company will keep drivers off the trucks nation wide before too long.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think you're getting to hung up on one issue. Theres more you can do. The training stuff you turn your nose up at can help teach your coworkers how to work safely.
The safety committe should be more then just you sitting in the office telling them what they need to fix.
You need to go out and help them fix it.
You can help your area quite a bit by helping to change behaviors and attitudes.
UPS sponsoring a safety committee makes about as much sense as OJ Simpson sponsoring a support group for victims of domestic violence. It is an insult to my intelligence when a company that is too cheap to retrofit its older equipment with proper seat belts tries to pretend that it gives a damn about my safety. Please....spare me the 10-point commentary drivel and just let me do my job in peace. I dont give a rats ass whether you pass your next Keter audit or not.

tieguy

Banned
UPS sponsoring a siafety committee makes about as much sense as OJ Simpson sponsoring a support group for victims of domestic violence. It is an insult to my intelligence when a company that is too cheap to retrofit its older equipment with proper seat belts tries to pretend that it gives a damn about my safety. Please....spare me the 10-point commentary drivel and just let me do my job in peace. I dont give a rats ass whether you pass your next Keter audit or not.

honestly with that perspective I'm surprised you still work here. I would have figured you to have quit UPS the first time someone told you something you didn't like. Some things you can do some you can't do. If you believe in the overall mission then you will persevere regardless of the can'ts.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
honestly with that perspective I'm surprised you still work here. I would have figured you to have quit UPS the first time someone told you something you didn't like. Some things you can do some you can't do. If you believe in the overall mission then you will persevere regardless of the can'ts.
I have 21 years as a driver with zero lost-time injuries and 8 years of safe driving. I believe in safety. I just dont see the connection between safety and the current UPS obsession with grade-school word games, and I refuse to participate in a system that is designed to shield UPS from OSHA liabilty rather than actually create a safer workplace.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I refuse to participate
Word of caution as a former shop steward, be veerrryyyy careful to whome you say that to. You might find working at wallyworld more to your likeing. You never ever refuse to work as instructed unless there is someting inherently dangerous.

d