Our VERY expensive health care system

klein

Für Meno :)
I just had a colonoscopy last month.
Was just in time, too. - They removed muliple polyps.
For that reason I'll need another one in a years time.
I certainly couldn't afford to do so, if I lived in the US.

I just had a colonoscopy last month.
Was just in time, too. - They removed muliple polyps.
For that reason I'll need another one in a years time.
I certainly couldn't afford to do so, if I lived in the US.

​Sure you could. I had one and it didn't cost a dime. My insurance through my job at UPS paid for it. You remember what that was like, right?

klein

​Sure you could. I had one and it didn't cost a dime. My insurance through my job at UPS paid for it. You remember what that was like, right?

No, I actually don't, because we don't have any job medical insurance here, and no matter what we don't pay a dime, either.
However, the UPS prescription plan was great - paid 95%, I believe.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You have to drink a lot of laxatives to clean you out, that was the worst part. The procedure itself is nothing, you sleep through it.

The trick I was given by the doctor is to switch to a liquid diet a few days before having to take the laxatives. It cleans you out with less cramping then when you are full of solids.

klein

Anyways, back to topic :
Doesn't it bother anyone on here, having insurance or not, why a simple colonoscopy costs $6000 - $8000 in the US, while anywhere else in an industrialized country it's just a few hundred dollars ?

wkmac

With having to pay more and more out of pocket for our own insurance, if I ever go this route I might make the 3 plus hour drive to Nashville and save over $2k verses the costs locally. Seeing the cost in Baltimore, Jones might consider running a health Bed and Breakfast in his retirement.
:wink2:

All joking aside, Central States might come out cheaper if they had us travel to the cheaper locations for care and even picking up the travel bill still saves them money. OK, let's wait for it............

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've seen procedures range from a couple hundred to $6000.....the same procedure!! I don't have to pay the bills, but I do get EOB's.