Out more than 45 but keeps route....

fatboy33

Been lurking here for a long time but I must post this. For all you who have had friends working for purple only to see them lose their route because of being out past the 45 or 90 day limit, they may have a law suit they may want to file soon. Understanding policy, being out past 45 days meant a couriers route must be forfeited and placed for bids period no questions asked. We have a situation where a senior courier, with connections high up, was out past 45 days. The route went up for bids and now the new courier will start next week. Problem is, senior courier is possibly being coached by a higher up and will probably get back onto the route. Now when this happens, every courier in the history of the purple, will have a case from losing their original position. Those couriers should have been informed as to what they needed to do to keep their routes. It's discriminatory to have one courier because of connections keep their route but not give equal treatment to others. We will know by 2 weeks time how this plays out. We had two guys at our station leave because they didn't want to become floaters, after losing their routes. And will to be called by a co-worker pending the out come of this matter. Will let you guys know what happens.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
uHzhGha.gif

Just kidding, welcome to BC!

vantexan

I've always heard you get displaced after 90 days but seriously, are routes really guaranteed? Doesn't "operational needs" supersede everything? And that's defined as management sees fit?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've always heard you get displaced after 90 days but seriously, are routes really guaranteed? Doesn't "operational needs" supersede everything? And that's defined as management sees fit?

This is going to be a legal issue because FedEx claims to have uniform corporate policies. Obviously, it doesn't, and when you apply different rules unequally and/or capriciously, there will be problems.

Lawyers must love FedEx.

vantexan

This is going to be a legal issue because FedEx claims to have uniform corporate policies. Obviously, it doesn't, and when you apply different rules unequally and/or capriciously, there will be problems.

Lawyers must love FedEx.
Well hey, when I was rehired I was told I couldn't get my pay back. But it's clearly spelled out in policy that in areas where they are having trouble recruiting they can rehire former employees at their previous percentage of range. I asked about it, was told can't happen, then told about the special circumstance by HR after I signed offer letter. Their lie has cost me thousands of dollars. Lawsuit?

dezguy

Pft, I know a guy who was out almost 2 years before they threatened to take his route. Miraculously, he recovered really quickly when they notified him he had to be back by x date or lose his route.

bacha29

With no union or formal collective bargaining agreement then just who is the governing legal authority with the power to making X labor policies binding?

fatboy33

The only difference between, "Operational needs" and "Fearing for my safety..", is one doesn't leave an unarmed person lying flat on is face.
We believe in this case help from higher ranking personnel is unfair to the rest of the employees who don't have a special relationship with that person. Why don't they post the rules on a wall in the break room for EVERYONE to see and know? Why should 2 employees lose their rounds if the 45/90 rule isn't a rule at all? Selective enforcement of a rule is no rule at all.
The new courier will start on the route Monday and a floater is scheduled to run the open route. Someone said the senior courier will show up Monday to block new courier but I don't know if that is going to be possible if there's no doctor's release. I was reminded of another courier who lost his PT route for medical issues. That makes 3 at our station. $$

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well hey, when I was rehired I was told I couldn't get my pay back. But it's clearly spelled out in policy that in areas where they are having trouble recruiting they can rehire former employees at their previous percentage of range. I asked about it, was told can't happen, then told about the special circumstance by HR after I signed offer letter. Their lie has cost me thousands of dollars. Lawsuit?

Maybe. Perhaps you should see an attorney. FedEx would never tell you that you could have been hired back at your former rate when they can give you a screwing.

fatboy33

Maybe. Perhaps you should see an attorney. FedEx would never tell you that you could have been hired back at your former rate when they can give you a screwing.
I think that is a great Ideal. Why should your pay rate be decreased for leaving purple on good terms? A case may be just what you need. Appears you are due back pay along with punitive damages so purple does right by the next employees going forward.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Now when this happens, every courier in the history of the purple, will have a case from losing their original position.

I would tell you to consult your station lawyer when he gets back in from his route, but you already have.

fatboy33

I would tell you to consult your station lawyer when he gets back in from his route, but you already have.
That same attitude towards Meal-breaks and pressuring employees to work off the clock was prevalent wasn't it? What happen in that case? What Happen? Huh???
Glad you're in this topic. It will surly now make its way up the chain. :-)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That same attitude towards Meal-breaks and pressuring employees to work off the clock was prevalent wasn't it? What happen in that case? What Happen? Huh???
Glad you're in this topic. It will surly now make its way up the chain. :-)

????