Out of Control Stations?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I had a Dispatcher bend my ear today about just how screwed-up his station was. Double-digits of new hires, couriers who have never been properly trained attempting to train said newbies, managers who don't even know the names of their couriers because they come and go so quickly. Many missed and/or late pickups, and numerous ramp shuttles driven by people who don't even know how to get there. Pretty amazing.

I hear pretty much the same thing from every station I hit, and it just continues to get worse daily.

Anyone else care to share how operations are going at their location?

MAKAVELI

My station has been friend* up for years. The turnover and lack of good management is only making it worse. Pretty much what that dispatcher told you.

McFeely

Huge Member
Our station has actually gotten a bit better in the last 12 months or so. I don't think we've even had a new hire in the last 6 months. About 2 years ago, I had heard our station was in the top 10 (maybe even top 5?) of turnover in all Express stations.

That being said, we lost a lot of great couriers in the last few years due to the payscale issues.

BootsOnTarmac

I have a problem with hiring handlers without High school diplomas / GED at Express. Basic knowledge such as: following verbal and written directions, logging on to a computer for training, filling out a timecard, reading a schedule, etc., are crucial for running this business. FedEx dropped the ball on this one. Might be a good idea if Express offers tuition / education reimbursement for those who really want a GED to help them move up or move on in life.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have a problem with hiring handlers without High school diplomas / GED at Express. Basic knowledge such as: following verbal and written directions, logging on to a computer for training, filling out a timecard, reading a schedule, etc., are crucial for running this business. FedEx dropped the ball on this one. Might be a good idea if Express offers tuition / education reimbursement for those who really want a GED to help them move up or move on in life.
Express DOES offer tuition reimbursement unless it's been cut out recently.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I had a Dispatcher bend my ear today about just how screwed-up his station was. Double-digits of new hires, couriers who have never been properly trained attempting to train said newbies, managers who don't even know the names of their couriers because they come and go so quickly. Many missed and/or late pickups, and numerous ramp shuttles driven by people who don't even know how to get there. Pretty amazing.

I hear pretty much the same thing from every station I hit, and it just continues to get worse daily.

If you weren't on the other side of the country, I'd think you were talking about my station. My station is having yet another change up in mgmt. A courier who is sleeping with a mgr, and has been at FedEx less than a year, just became a manager, causing her girlfriend to have to go to another station. Another one transferred out. My mgr is getting ready to quit. That's just one of many things going on along with some things you talked about above. I think we've hired about 35(?) newbies since Jan 1. I don't bother to learn anyone's names unless I see them around for awhile. PT hires and cover drivers quickly move up to Mon-Fri days because of turnover.

BootsOnTarmac

Yes, Express does offer tuition reimbursement, but I believe it is just for post high school / GED accredited education. I would like to see them offer the financial resources to those hires without the GED. I have worked with several new handlers that have great potential to move up in Express or move on, but are held back due to no GED. I have also worked with those that have no business working in this environment due to the lack of understanding what I stated previously. If a huge company like FedEx can't step up, then I will just smoke my pipe and dream until retirement.

Star B

White Lightening
Our station.... does pretty good. Turnover is low, seniority is high (most of them are just riding it out I'm sure), management does have 'flavor of the month syndrome' but that's only because its shoved down their throats by Memphis.

Sure, we have the typical turnover of handlers... but most of them we get to know them for a few months before they move on.

Serf

I thought you were talking about my station!