Out of hours!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by over9five, Jan 15, 2010.

1. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Never been in quite this scenario before...

I have 14 hours available today, start at 1400.
    Next week I change days to Sun to Thurs, 0700 start, so I'll not have a reset.

Do I:

1. Call in now, and tell them I can work today OR Sunday?

2. Go to work and tell them when I start?

3. Work today, call Sun and tell them I don't have 8 available?

2. dannyboy

dannyboy From the promised LAND

are you talking about at ups or here on the BC?

d

3. EmerCond421

EmerCond421 Member

I'd say Call now, and inform them of the situation and let mgmt. decide. This way if gives mgmt. a chance to figure out how to cover whichever way they decide and you come out looking the responsible, caring individual that you are. Just my 2 cents.

4. brownrod

brownrod Active Member

Tell them exactly what time you have to end your friday shift in order to get your reset in.

5. local804

local804 Well-Known Member

Work today, call em Sunday,enjoy the playoffs!!!!

6. over9five

Won't work. If I work my 8 hours tonight, there's not 34 hours before my Sunday start.

7. over9five

But then I'd only end up with 46 hours this week. I'm not sure I'm that caring.....!!!

This sounds like a well thought out plan.

8. rod

rod retired and happy

Why should he have to enform management about what they should know anyway. They created this problem - let them worry about it.

9. over9five

So you think I should call Sunday?

I shoulda made this a poll.....

10. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

Im with Rod and Local804, work today and let management operate the business, that is their job of course! Watch football Sunday!

11. EmerCond421

EmerCond421 Member

Because we all know everyone is concerned about doing their job and it most likely slipped by their attention, just sayin'. :peaceful:

12. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

But but, doesn't the law say it is the responsibility of the driver to know if he/she has enough time left?

Over, just work tonight as usual and then start your shift on Sunday. Then after you are running out of hours call them and tell them to come get ya. Sounds like OT to me. LOL...Just kidding, it all depends on if you want to be off tonight or sunday.

13. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

TRP legally he cannot work Sunday because he wont have his 34 hours to reset.

14. rod

rod retired and happy

Why is it that someone can be worked over his limit of hours and that can be excused as "slipping their attention" but let him be 5 minutes overallowed for his job and everyone from some part time sup up to the Division Manager knows about it immediately:wink2:

15. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

Oh yeah...DUH...I missed the reset thought, went right to running out of hours.

16. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

hmmmmm, with a few words exchanged, this scenario looks really familiar.

17. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

Over this has happened to me when I was on cover!! Tell them to keep you local or in the yard & you want to leave early to reset. Jerry let me do that a few times & you don't want to miss OT Sunday..Are you on cover now or are you now a glorified rail rat??

18. over9five

But, but.....to reset, I'd have to work less than 8. Should I do that??? It actually sounds kinda good for a friday night.

You are right about Sunday, don't want to miss the ot.

19. over9five

Oops, missed that. I've been wad for 2 weeks since they sent the bottom 9 back. A new rail job was put in next week, so I'm on that for 1 week till the guy that acquired it takes it.

20. rod

rod retired and happy

Being a package driver for my 30 year carreer I forget that feeders are a whole different group of people. I never met a feeder driver that wasn't "all about the hours". Its like they don't want or have a family life and would rather work more than anything else. If making a few more bucks working on Sunday is what turns your crank- go for it. I personally just don't understand. :dissapointed: