"Out of Sight/Weather " being phased out for DR's?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: "Out of Sight/Weather :censored2: being phased out for DR's?

This may sound like science fiction but I believe most of us will live to see "live tracking". GPS will be built into each individual label and customers will be able to watch exactly where there package is.

This is already being worked on with RF technology embedded in to the label.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have a DR Tack Room at least once a week. Had a DR wheelbarrow (under) but that one was actually sheeted as DR gate. Have a DR Tire on occasion (customer set that one up).

Packmule

No, but I welcome the news. Don't mind bagging, and don't mind using garages, etc, where past practice has been proven acceptable by customer. Just don't want it absolutely manditory at every stop because having a pkg for someone's home does not constitute a right to help myself to any part of their property other than the front door. Anything else invites too much liability upon myself should someone claim a tool is missing, or I was peeping through the windows, etc.
Better security than the front door should be entirely the customer's responsibity to provide both, the means and the authorization to use it.

guinness413

on my last "safety ride"..a few weeks ago my sup was surprised that i go to the doors and knock or ring the bell..hes like "just leave it by the garage or at the end of the driveway"..i was like ok ..i will go knock or ring and then carry it back to the driveway"..he said nope..no knock no ring needed.....sure ok..what about the methods?..only convenient sometimes...?...we should just play paper boy and toss it out of the moving car..:nobrainzombis:

gman042

Been around the block a few times
on my last "safety ride"..a few weeks ago my sup was surprised that i go to the doors and knock or ring the bell..hes like "just leave it by the garage or at the end of the driveway"..i was like ok ..i will go knock or ring and then carry it back to the driveway"..he said nope..no knock no ring needed.....sure ok..what about the methods?..only convenient sometimes...?...we should just play paper boy and toss it out of the moving car..:nobrainzombis:

PUNT!!!!

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
LP has been out taking pictures of pkgs left out in plain site at customer's front door. Driver received a warning ltr last week. I always try to leave out of sight, I have a few customer where I always Dr there pkgs at the back door and leave info notice on the front door and if there was a sup with me there would be even more indirect DR’s.

DS

Fenderbender
Who makes these decisions? It seems that ups policy is,well,different everywhere.
Ask 5 sups a question,get 5 different answers.What kind of a way to run a company is that?
It would be much easier to just have one way things should be done.
Following instructions has become moot,when you get disciplined for doing what some sup told you to do that got transfered 3 months ago.
We need a universal binding set of methods that must be adhered to.
That's what I think.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
LP has been out taking pictures of pkgs left out in plain site at customer's front door. Driver received a warning ltr last week. I always try to leave out of sight, I have a few customer where I always Dr there pkgs at the back door and leave info notice on the front door and if there was a sup with me there would be even more indirect DR’s.

If you always leave it at the back door then why leave a note? Consignees know where to look for their boxes. Especially the regulars.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
If you always leave it at the back door then why leave a note? Consignees know where to look for their boxes. Especially the regulars.

Just doing what I was told, anytime you leave a pkg out of sight of the common path to the house you should leave a info notice of where said pkg is.

AKCoverMan

Who makes these decisions? It seems that ups policy is,well,different everywhere.

Ultimately the same people who decide what order to run the route in order to get NDA off on time, the same people who decide when to break trace to get to schools and businesses that were thoughtfully set up to be on the 8000 shelf.

The driver decides when to DR and when not to DR. It's all about managing risk. On the one hand we don't want claims but on the other hand we don't want send agains.

I DR a lot of multi family places but they are all as out of sight and out of weather as any other DR. I have a very low frequency of generating DFUs so I must be doing something right.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ask 5 sups a question,get 5 different answers.What kind of a way to run a company is that?
It would be much easier to just have one way things should be done.
Following instructions has become moot,when you get disciplined for doing what some sup told you to do that got transfered 3 months ago.
We need a universal binding set of methods that must be adhered to.
That's what I think.

The problem is that UPS is, in many respects, a collection of individual fiefdoms with contradictory and often mutually exclusive goals.

In this case, we have Loss Prevention whose only concern is claims reduction. They could care less about SPORH. And we have on-road supervision, whose only concern is SPORH; they could care less about claims reduction.

The end result, of course, is that the driver is wrong no matter what he/she does.

gorilla75jdw

looks as if the last perk we could have , customer service , is now being phased out . Its all about the instant dollar nowadays .

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The problem is that UPS is, in many respects, a collection of individual fiefdoms with contradictory and often mutually exclusive goals.

In this case, we have Loss Prevention whose only concern is claims reduction. They could care less about SPORH. And we have on-road supervision, whose only concern is SPORH; they could care less about claims reduction.

The end result, of course, is that the driver is wrong no matter what he/she does.
it goes even further: all the dispatcher cares about is cutting as many routes as possible. The preload supervisor cares only about getting the pkgs out of the bldg,and the preloaders off the clock in under 4 hours. As you have stated all the oncar cares about is SPORH as well as reducing "over allowed' and all I worry about is providing the best SERVICE i can while working safely and by the methods