Out of sight/weather

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Packmule, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

So, since it has been reported (nationally, not here) that we have idiots stealing pkgs off porches again, we are being harassed to get parcels out of sight again. No. I won't.
    When UPS gives me a legal right to trespass private property, fine. Till then I only have a legal right to the front porch.
    Unless I know the customer, I'm not sticking a five dollar surpost in a garage, only to be accused of stealing a 200 dollar drill!

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Just bring it all back without a signature. Surepost is different. It's shipper release. Leave it in the middle of the road for all they care.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

How many times have you been accused of stealing something from someone's property?

4. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

I think they should talk about it a little more on the news, In case all the criminals havent heard that yet.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. rod

rod retired and happy

Maybe they will go back to the way it was in the 70's when you needed a signature on EVERYTHING unless it was one of the very few that had a release number on it. That was especially fun when you were running rural routes and had to go to 2 or 3 houses a half a mile apart to get a signature.

6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Driver release didn't start until late 1980's. Before that was release numbers and SDN's.

7. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Agree. If you can't leave it out of sight/weather then sheet it NI1 with remarks and bring it back. See how long that lasts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Whatbrownwontdoforyou Well-Known Member

We are not allowed to go inside people's houses or apt but it's ok to go into there back yard and open there garage and go in.....that doesn't seem right

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. AirOnTrace

AirOnTrace Allergic to cardboard.

When have you been told it's ok to open someone's garage?

10. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

We have a driver that is so "perfect" on packages being out of sight, he brought back empty dish network boxes because there was not a place to leave them out of sight.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

He has a cat named rowdy, doesn't he?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

If I didn't go into peoples garages I wouldn't deliver many boxes. I set packages on people's kithen table.

13. worldwide

worldwide Active Member

The houses don't have back or side doors or side garage doors that are out of sight from the road? There are no bushes near a side door or front door to place the package behind? I certainly would not open any doors to the main house to leave a package but there are almost always options to leave out of sight of the main road and out of weather (in a DR bag). Detached garage is OK - don't think I'd open a door to the garage if it's part of the main house.

Just curious - how do you have the "legal right" only to the front porch of a house? Why is the front porch legal but not the back or side door?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Packmule

About the time you open a gate and a dog gets out and runs away, you'll be hung out to dry for it.
    Ever catch a sunbathing beauty on the back patio? All fun and games till you get charged as a peeping Tom. And if she's underage, you'll become a bonified sex offender.
    Put 'em on the porch and let UPS keep the liabilities.

15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bet this happens everyday somewhere in the country. Get a grip.

16. Packmule

Suit yourself.

17. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

When they order the package, they give the delivery person the legal right to be on their property.

18. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Some have to learn the hard way. I choose to learn from others mistakes.

19. Packmule

The front door. Not much else. If they want better security it's up to the customer to provide the means and the authorization to use it. Then I'm happy to. UPS doesn't have that authority.

20. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Not a lawyer but I believe it is about implied consent and criminal intent. I don't think delivering a package to a persons house has criminal intent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List