Out of sight/weather

Packmule

So, since it has been reported (nationally, not here) that we have idiots stealing pkgs off porches again, we are being harassed to get parcels out of sight again. No. I won't.
When UPS gives me a legal right to trespass private property, fine. Till then I only have a legal right to the front porch.
Unless I know the customer, I'm not sticking a five dollar surpost in a garage, only to be accused of stealing a 200 dollar drill!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So, since it has been reported (nationally, not here) that we have idiots stealing pkgs off porches again, we are being harassed to get parcels out of sight again. No. I won't.
When UPS gives me a legal right to trespass private property, fine. Till then I only have a legal right to the front porch.
Unless I know the customer, I'm not sticking a five dollar surpost in a garage, only to be accused of stealing a 200 dollar drill!
Just bring it all back without a signature. Surepost is different. It's shipper release. Leave it in the middle of the road for all they care.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How many times have you been accused of stealing something from someone's property?

rod

Retired 22 years
Maybe they will go back to the way it was in the 70's when you needed a signature on EVERYTHING unless it was one of the very few that had a release number on it. That was especially fun when you were running rural routes and had to go to 2 or 3 houses a half a mile apart to get a signature.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maybe they will go back to the way it was in the 70's when you needed a signature on EVERYTHING unless it was one of the very few that had a release number on it. That was especially fun when you were running rural routes and had to go to 2 or 3 houses a half a mile apart to get a signature.

Driver release didn't start until late 1980's. Before that was release numbers and SDN's.

BrownTexas

We have a driver that is so "perfect" on packages being out of sight, he brought back empty dish network boxes because there was not a place to leave them out of sight.

worldwide

The houses don't have back or side doors or side garage doors that are out of sight from the road? There are no bushes near a side door or front door to place the package behind? I certainly would not open any doors to the main house to leave a package but there are almost always options to leave out of sight of the main road and out of weather (in a DR bag). Detached garage is OK - don't think I'd open a door to the garage if it's part of the main house.

Just curious - how do you have the "legal right" only to the front porch of a house? Why is the front porch legal but not the back or side door?

Packmule

About the time you open a gate and a dog gets out and runs away, you'll be hung out to dry for it.
Ever catch a sunbathing beauty on the back patio? All fun and games till you get charged as a peeping Tom. And if she's underage, you'll become a bonified sex offender.
Put 'em on the porch and let UPS keep the liabilities.

PT Car Washer

About the time you open a gate and a dog gets out and runs away, you'll be hung out to dry for it.
Ever catch a sunbathing beauty on the back patio? All fun and games till you get charged as a peeping Tom. And if she's underage, you'll become a bonified sex offender.
Yeah, I bet this happens everyday somewhere in the country. Get a grip.

Indecisi0n

Some have to learn the hard way. I choose to learn from others mistakes.

Packmule

The front door. Not much else. If they want better security it's up to the customer to provide the means and the authorization to use it. Then I'm happy to. UPS doesn't have that authority.