Out with the armstrong steering trucks and manaul shifters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I love my new 1000. Power steering, automatic transmission, low step. The only problem is the wide sweep when making a turn. I haven't actually measured it but I know it saves me time over the older package cars that I have driven.

bigbrownhen

I would like an automatic, but only due to the wear and tear on the body due to clutching. Over time, the right shoulder and left foot take alot of repetitive movement. I'm not sure how much faster and auto would make me over a manual. I need the tighter turning , my route is nothing but cul de sacs.

I doubt the manuals will go away with all the satelite routes being added. Its my understanding the automatics can't pull the TP-60s, too much stress on the tranny. At least that was the excuse used to switch an auto to a manual on a route that started pulling a trailer.

Im with Tooner on the 800s. I aboulutley despise those things. They will beat you to death. The only good thing about those are the roll up back door.

brownelf

work in a center with approx 60% hi step manual trans no power steering trucks. yesterday there was 10-20 brand new P1000's in the yard. Last nite when I got in ( late of course cause they break up routes on Fridays ) they were gone, haven't seen anything larger than an air shuttle new around here in years, all the new stuff is sent to the outlying centers due to the miles they drive.

UPSF Peeon

Isnt that nice....the year is 2010 and every other fleet of trucks in the country are powered steering except for ups....come on guys, you gotta let go of 1974 sometime or another. Sounds like a bunch of shoulder injuries just waiting to happen...and I dont want to see any decrease of production because of that either...no excuses...uphill both ways in the snow get it done!!

ups is also the only company that pays drivers $30 an hour, id say it would be worth the sacrifice

According to our top mechanic, UPS is fazing out all the manual shift cars, only because they can't find enough mechanics who know how to replace clutches.
The bad news is that any time another building gets a new car we will be getting their old one.

Replacing a clutch is one of the simplest thing to do.

I would like an automatic, but only due to the wear and tear on the body due to clutching. Over time, the right shoulder and left foot take alot of repetitive movement. I'm not sure how much faster and auto would make me over a manual. I need the tighter turning , my route is nothing but cul de sacs.

I doubt the manuals will go away with all the satelite routes being added. Its my understanding the automatics can't pull the TP-60s, too much stress on the tranny. At least that was the excuse used to switch an auto to a manual on a route that started pulling a trailer.

Im with Tooner on the 800s. I aboulutley despise those things. They will beat you to death. The only good thing about those are the roll up back door.

There are some drivers that are good enough to shift without using the clutch!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We got our first power steering vehicle in April, 1995. At least a 3rd of the fleet is still manual steering. Give the company a break. You can't expect them to only keep vehicles 15 years.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Whoever told you that was full of BS...almost all of our hitch cars (mine included) are automatic P-700's. The Allison heavy-duty automatic is the shizzle of auto's, they are pretty much bulletproof and will tow anything.

A more likely reason...is that your automotive dept. just didnt want to spend the $$ to equip the new car with a hitch when they already had one installed on the old car.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We got our first power steering vehicle in April, 1995. At least a 3rd of the fleet is still manual steering. Give the company a break. You can't expect them to only keep vehicles 15 years.

Power steering was invented sometime in the 1930's, and was pretty much industry standard by the 1970's. No we cant expect them to keep the vehicles for only 15 yrs, but why in the hell were they deleting power steering as recently as the early 1990's?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS doesn't do Safety First. Safety doesn't come into play unless it is forced upon the company by OSHA, a lawsuit or a new law or govt. regulation.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

You must remember that UPS now has a school on teaching new drivers how to fall properly , how to walk safely on snow/ice ( while using a suspended safety harness ). Given that and the facts that a most of cars/trucks on the road today are not manuals, just where would a young mechanic learn to do old fashion repairs.
Its cheaper in the long run to swap out a bad tranny, then to fix it in-house ( seeing that our mechanics are forbidden to work over 8 hrs.)

You must remember that UPS now has a school on teaching new drivers how to fall properly , how to walk safely on snow/ice ( while using a suspended safety harness ). Given that and the facts that a most of cars/trucks on the road today are not manuals, just where would a young mechanic learn to do old fashion repairs.
Its cheaper in the long run to swap out a bad tranny, then to fix it in-house ( seeing that our mechanics are forbidden to work over 8 hrs.)

A blown clutch has nothing to do with replacing the tranny. As to where you would find a mechanic go to any Chevy, Ford or Chryler dealer...those New Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers and Challengers are not all automatics you know. Hey...if you don't have a clutch you don't have much!

SWORDFISH

ups is also the only company that pays drivers $30 an hour, id say it would be worth the sacrifice

Always a heckler in the crowd. :dissapointed:

I have been told numerous times by management and mechanics that they are not aloud to change things in the truck like that. I am told due to the warranty or something like that.

I hate those hitches. Makes the clearance on the truck way to low to the ground. Almost like having a low rider.

There are some drivers that are good enough to shift without using the clutch!

Yes but its not allowed.

Power steering was invented sometime in the 1930's, and was pretty much industry standard by the 1970's. No we cant expect them to keep the vehicles for only 15 yrs, but why in the hell were they deleting power steering as recently as the early 1990's?

Dont you the feel love?

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Its not about money peeon, they were using these cars when drivers were making 10 bucks an hour....its true that the job is harder when driving one of these beasts. I doubt you would say that if you had to have an operation on your shoulder. I do twice the amount of work than the fedex guy on my route, and hes making 24 dollars plus an hour with benefits and a pension, so should I be making 48 dollars an hour...were paid this amount because on MOST routes ups is doing twice the amount of stops and pieces than our competition, and this is what the union and ups has agreed on...on MOST routes ups is getting a deal. If you dont think so, pay me the amount that fedex gets per hour for a top year employee, and their benefits and pension THEN DROP MY WORK LOAD TO MATCH A FEDEX TRUCK IN THE SAME AREA...seems fair right, but ups would never go for it, and I dont have to tell you why, so yes they are getting a deal with the 30 dollar an hour mark.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Hub got a couple of brand new P700s Friday. It was interesting to see that they had dualies installed on the back, like my 2006 model. Besides the telematics installed, I noticed the gas cap was moved to behind the left rear tires. I'm surprised the fuel tank has apparently been moved to the rear of the car, considering we get hit in the rear more than the side.

bad company

semi-pro
My Hub got a couple of brand new P700s Friday. It was interesting to see that they had dualies installed on the back, like my 2006 model. Besides the telematics installed, I noticed the gas cap was moved to behind the left rear tires. I'm surprised the fuel tank has apparently been moved to the rear of the car, considering we get hit in the rear more than the side.

I drove one of those today... garbage. Not enough power (SLOW). I'd rather drive your 2006.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS doesn't do Safety First. Safety doesn't come into play unless it is forced upon the company by OSHA, a lawsuit or a new law or govt. regulation.

This is an interesting post coming from you. And I do think to some extent that they care about service, even if its not for an individuals health and well being, but from a cost point of view.