Outside Hires

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Dagoof, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Dagoof

Dagoof Member

Just wondering just how many of the drivers here were outside hires?
    Or when was the last one hired in your center?

I was a peak driver that drove peak in 85 got layed off came back in 86 drove again was layed off News Years eve and told to be back on monday Jan 3 stupid me showed up on Monday (LOL) and as they say the rest is history
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I was hired off the street May 1989.
  4. Dookiebrowns

Dookiebrowns Member

I did the Christmas peak in 2006, and was hired in April 2007.
  5. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

I was a outside hire in '88. Finally full time Nov '98. Only get credit of only 10 yrs now for vacation.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

You have received 21+ years of paychecks so I wouldn't complain.
  7. tarbar66

tarbar66 Member

And you are a Steeler fan so everything in your life is good!
  8. tracker2762

tracker2762 Active Member

I applied for helper job peak '84 but I didn't get the job. Then applied for driver a couple weeks later and worked peak. I was laid off Dec 26 and called back Jan 2. Been there ever since.
  9. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

Our last one was winter '06, IIRC. Last one before that was mid 90's I think. We've also had several supervisors become drivers over the years. Couldn't say when, though.

A couple years ago one of our peak drivers was offered a driver job in a nearby center. He turned them down :greedy::greedy:
    He was a graduate student. But his major was something dumb that would never get him a job making half of what a UPS driver makes. He didn't take the job because he didn't want to drive 25 miles away to the other UPS center that needed more drivers.

I heard a rumor that a guy with a PHD in poly sci is eyeballing our next off the street driver job.
  10. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

I was an outside hire. I had previously driven for Peak.
  11. No such person

No such person Southern Ct.

I was a casual for starting Oct. 2006, went full time Jan. 2007. We kept 3 casuals from peak the next year, no new drivers since.
  12. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

same here although the difference between over and me is that I came in as a peak feeder and he(I think) came in as a peak package car driver
  13. ups79

ups79 Active Member

Outside. Worked that peak as a driver and came back in Jan. 1979, 30 days later was in the union and full time.
  14. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

1979? Are you still working? If not, hope you are enjoying the good life. If so, hope you are enjoying life.
  15. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Same year and month I met my ex-wife.:knockedout:

Our last outside hire was in the late 90's. He got hired, went full time, got a DUI, came back from the DUI, went out with a back problem and finally got busted on video windsurfing.

I did it the hard way, 3 years preload and full time since 99. Don't know if I would have made it, off the street as a full time driver.
  16. ups79

ups79 Active Member

Been retired for six years come the saturday after thanksgiving.
  17. pudg00

pudg00 pudg00

seasonal peak of 07 hired Jan. 08
    last driver to qualify in our center was April of 08
  18. RanMan

RanMan New Member

Graduated from college in june 87. Hired as a peak driver in Sept 87. Called back as a full time pkg car driver in April 88.
  19. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

20. The Milkman

The Milkman Active Member

Worked as driver in 81 for peak. Then laid off. came back Sept of 82 and 3 of us were kept after peak, and retired 1-1-2008. I even got credit for hours worked in 81 towards my pension credit..