Outside Hires

Dagoof

Just wondering just how many of the drivers here were outside hires?
Or when was the last one hired in your center?

SKAGITDRIVER

I was a peak driver that drove peak in 85 got layed off came back in 86 drove again was layed off News Years eve and told to be back on monday Jan 3 stupid me showed up on Monday (LOL) and as they say the rest is history

tracker2762

I applied for helper job peak '84 but I didn't get the job. Then applied for driver a couple weeks later and worked peak. I was laid off Dec 26 and called back Jan 2. Been there ever since.

brownrodster

Just wondering just how many of the drivers here were outside hires?
Or when was the last one hired in your center?

Our last one was winter '06, IIRC. Last one before that was mid 90's I think. We've also had several supervisors become drivers over the years. Couldn't say when, though.

A couple years ago one of our peak drivers was offered a driver job in a nearby center. He turned them down :greedy::greedy:
He was a graduate student. But his major was something dumb that would never get him a job making half of what a UPS driver makes. He didn't take the job because he didn't want to drive 25 miles away to the other UPS center that needed more drivers.

I heard a rumor that a guy with a PHD in poly sci is eyeballing our next off the street driver job.

ups79

same here although the difference between over and me is that I came in as a peak feeder and he(I think) came in as a peak package car driver

Outside. Worked that peak as a driver and came back in Jan. 1979, 30 days later was in the union and full time.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was hired off the street May 1989.
Same year and month I met my ex-wife.:knockedout:

Our last outside hire was in the late 90's. He got hired, went full time, got a DUI, came back from the DUI, went out with a back problem and finally got busted on video windsurfing.

I did it the hard way, 3 years preload and full time since 99. Don't know if I would have made it, off the street as a full time driver.

The Milkman

Worked as driver in 81 for peak. Then laid off. came back Sept of 82 and 3 of us were kept after peak, and retired 1-1-2008. I even got credit for hours worked in 81 towards my pension credit..