Over 70S

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Making it a policy to ask a consignee for help would end after a few pulled back muscles or ruptured discs. This is of course after they fired you for not reporting the customer hurt himself, resulting in an accident.

This has happen here and guess who paid for the doctor bill and physical therapy sessions.....

norcal10

Lets let UPS Freight handel over 70S. Tired of hiking portable air conditioners up 3 flights of stairs. Just ranting on my break. Have a good weekend.

You must not have gotten the "small front wheel drive transaxle strapped down to a bare pallet" to deliver yet.

Always a delight to look forward to. I've only ever delivered one.
This is just insane. I always say when we get irregs at the end of the night this is stuff for ups freight. Wooden pallets and stuff strapped to them is to awkward and heavy to handle by yourself

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
First question is, why are you brining them up 3 flights of stairs?

I do not bring Over 70's up flights of stairs, unless it is commercial.

If a resident in a 2nd or 3rd floor apartment order something huge, I tell them I'm not allowed to bring the item upstairs because UPS will fire me if I get hurt, but I always bring it through the outside door.
I've never been yelled at or given a customer concern. I hold the discretion when making the delivery, not UPS or the customer.
If you want to "man up" because the customer is hot or elderly, that is a personal decision, not a requirement.

This is a 35 year career !! I'm not gonna hurt myself over 1 delivery !!

PT Car Washer

When I was hired it was can you lift 70 not 150. Should be a 2 man crew out doing over 70s. Plus they look like crap when they make it to final destination. My hub is not really set up well for them.
When I was hired the weight limit was 35 lbs. Then went to 50 lbs. Then 70 lbs. Are any of the hubs set up to handle pallet loads?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a farrier supply shop (horse-shoeing supplies) on my route, and every once in awhile they either ship out or receive an anvil. Its literally like what Wil E Coyote tries to drop on the Road Runner. Those things weigh about 140 lbs and they are solid iron. Plus they get boxes of horseshoes and nails. Fortunately for me there are husky cowboys and farriers there that always help load and unload the really brutal ones. Plus they have the only decent bathroom for miles around, so its worth the hassle.

UPSGUY72

Typical, ignorant management response. In all of my years in package car, I never asked a customer to help me drag some of their freight in their home/business. It's not their job. I've had some customers volunteer to help, but that's up to them.

Bingo.

If you really need help send a message to the center and ask them to send you another driver. Some customer physically can't help for what ever reason if you got a 149 box going to the third floor and the person that lives there is 70 you call the center and ask for help you don't sheet as missed of Ni1 because she can't help you.

On another note I had a 187 lbs Yes 187 lbs international from Canada (turned out to be a pool liner) that said 150 on the UPS label along the way someone figure out it was more than 150lbs weighed it and wrote the real weight on the package. I backed up to the person drive way and rolled it out the back door near the garage. Stop complete.

oldngray

nowhere special
Bingo.

If you really need help send a message to the center and ask them to send you another driver. Some customer physically can't help for what ever reason if you got a 149 box going to the third floor and the person that lives there is 70 you call the center and ask for help you don't sheet as missed of Ni1 because she can't help you.

On another note I had a 187 lbs Yes 187 lbs international from Canada (turned out to be a pool liner) that said 150 on the UPS label along the way someone figure out it was more than 150lbs weighed it and wrote the real weight on the package. I backed up to the person drive way and rolled it out the back door near the garage. Stop complete.

I have had packages close to 250 pounds. Weighed them on heavy duty scales at customers since UPS won't. Thank you UPS. :knockedout:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Making it a policy to ask a consignee for help would end after a few pulled back muscles or ruptured discs. This is of course after they fired you for not reporting the customer hurt himself, resulting in an accident.
Yes, I was going to ask a similar question...Suppose the consignee helps the driver carry a 150 lb package....driver leaves and customer calls center claiming he injured himself and blames it on the driver...is ups responsible?

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I have had packages close to 250 pounds. Weighed them on heavy duty scales at customers since UPS won't. Thank you UPS. :knockedout:
I'm sure they get weighed in a hub, assessed a hefty additional fee, then sent along for you poor bastards to deliver.

Random_Facts

My poor driver has to deliver those huge spools that you see the electric company use. I had 3 last Thursday, weighing 147 pounds each. 5ft across. My driver peers his head the backdoor, and does some hand gesture, as I apply yep that's yours buddy! Damn he says! It says for the 2000 PAL shelf, but I'm putting that in the back area...if it fits.

Starting to be a weekly thing, I should be thankful that they are sending those very last minute of the day, and not the beginning of the day.

browniehound

Typical, ignorant management response. In all of my years in package car, I never asked a customer to help me drag some of their freight in their home/business. It's not their job. I've had some customers volunteer to help, but that's up to them.

I would never ask a customer either, but I dropped a very large and heavy door in this guys driveway and he flipped out me. He was just standing there watching me struggle with the thing but didn't lift a finger. That pissed me off.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't either. Its about the only good thing about my route however.

I get a lot of over 70's but on my rural route it tends to be farm-equipment type stuff like tires, plow blades, tractor parts etc. Usually all I have to do is back up to the shed or barn and roll it out onto the ground.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm sure they get weighed in a hub, assessed a hefty additional fee, then sent along for you poor bastards to deliver.

They're usually weighed in a hub, if someone catches it and bothers to get a revenue auditor to do so. Over 150 it'll get hit for over max weight, but the scales only go up to 200 here so if it's over that the weight will be listed as 200+. So much fun to guess if it's 205 or 290 lbs.