Over allowed

Overpaid Union Thug

The problem is you took a job that does wear your body out. You took it on UPS's terms and you then try to change the terms after you took the job. that is between you and ups to determine what your fair days work for your fair days pay equates to. But don't put someone else down who can do more and call them a management suck up. That plain stinks.

I don't think anyone called the guy a suckup. Maybe you did but I know I didn't. I just think he is cocky and arrogant. That type of driver is in the minority. It's like I said before...either he really is the Stud he claims to be and the rest of them just suck or it might be that everyone else is pacing themselves and he is running a sprint from the get go. And all to impress his superiors. I'm not sure which one he is at this point but others have agreed he is cocky none the less.

Griff

The problem is you took a job that does wear your body out. You took it on UPS's terms and you then try to change the terms after you took the job. that is between you and ups to determine what your fair days work for your fair days pay equates to. But don't put someone else down who can do more and call them a management suck up. That plain stinks.

Yes, the job will wear my body out eventually, why should I accelerate the process to make you look better on paper? I haven't tried to change anything, I have no idea where you get this from. I was hired by a center manager after my 30 days, I do nothing differently now than I did then. I still work at the same pace, I do not skip my lunch or breaks and I go home at the end of the day.

There is no hope for 1989 because he has been conditioned to think that way. Everybody here knows 1989, we ALL have at least a couple versions of him in our centers. Ironically, they all seem to be sups coming off of the 6-1 ratio, isn't it amazing? I feel for 1989 because the REAL numbers are stacked against him, that body will be gone soon and management will not shed a tear.

trouble maker

I have been running the same route for 6 years, the route was time studied 5 years ago. 6 years ago i used to have 120 stops 225 pakages, now the route has changed over years now its 120 stops 400 pakages. Gained about 20 new bussiness stops, mngtm is constantly threating me and harassing me cause i am 120 overallowed over everyday, they make comments that they are going to fire me etc. They say i am the worst driver in district.

They rode with me for 3 days about a year ago, could not find any faults. They say that they cant do time study , because its too expensive.
Does anyone else relate to my post? Routes change, but management seems to never change.
If they keep harassing you, tell them if they can do better the keys are in the ignition!!!

JustTired

free at last.......
There is no hope for 1989 because he has been conditioned to think that way.

If you want my take on this guy, he is just blowing smoke.

-or-

[take 2]
Judging by the overinflated numbers he's throwing around, he is probably in IE. If not, he would be a prime candidate!

If there is any truth to his numbers, he needs to work on his personal life (or the lack of one). Better him than me.

Sorry 1989, I don't know you, so I can only judge you by your posts.

What is wrong with doing 110 routes? Why is that so hard for some of you to comprehend? I am not always under allowed I've 6 hours over before. Usually running junk left behind in the building and dropping air on other drivers.

brownman15

What is wrong with doing 110 routes? Why is that so hard for some of you to comprehend? I am not always under allowed I've 6 hours over before. Usually running junk left behind in the building and dropping air on other drivers.

wow you must work in a big center if they run 110 rts. in my center i think we run about 70 rts

area43

Hi Folks, Boy I felt like a kid again, a little scrappin and carrying on. Its all in good fun. Any how this will be my last post on the "over allowed" issue(thread). So here it goes.

Folks, I believe I have to go with the teamsters on this one. I know all mgt cringches when they here this phrase, "A fair days work for a fair days pay". Let me explain, before you get all crazy. Standards will come and go, they change like the wind, a business added here, a sub division built there, a few more cods, heavy weights , internationals, etc, etc. But you my friend have to stay consistent, safe and reliable(that doesnt mean to be a lazy). UPS will always and let me emphasize always be trying to tighten the belt. In reponse to this, you must build the little concrete bunkers in your mind to withstand the attacks. Only you, and you alone can do this. The stewart is there to guide and help, but at some point you have to find it with yourself to take a stand.

Let me use this analogy, Im a runner. I have never ran a marathon,but I plan to after I retire(I'll probably get disabled doing it,lol). A marathon is roughly 26 miles, lets just say each mile represents one year of service. In running the race, would you start out like a maniac, a flat out haul ass the first few miles or would you pace yourself. Stratagize, thats the key here folks. Prevent burn out. Go at it, for the long haul. Dont go out as a hare, but in the same breath dont go as slow as a turtle. I believe you know what I mean. Take those water breaks each mile marker, dont burn the candle and both ends. Get your rest. Upsgrunt, said "we are like industrial athletes". Hey grunt, If your there, it would be great if you could post that again, it was great. By the way I hope everything is going well with the suit, praying for you and big brown. I hope you guys(actually all of us that work UPS) win that thing.

In closing, I sincerely believe all of us would like to finish the race. To cross that finish line must be something else. Just a real good feeling of accompolishment, preserverance, and most of all the memories,bonds and friendships we have made over the years(customers,coworkers,mgt and teamsters officials). Well, that all folks, take care and have a great day. area 43 out ( :

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I too just want to finish the race.
Im almost 39, (well actually 50, but Im still a woman so I lie)
I see broken down guys half my age getting hurt, and wondering how they will ever do it, that gives me hope. I know I can outrun most of them based on experience and knowledge, instead of shear testosterone power or age.
And it really is your work ethic.
Ive went to work mornings where I never thought I could climb in my truck once, much less 150 or more times, and I make it. When my whole body ached, my hair hurt....... and I made it. Its not for everyone thats why everyone cannot do it.
My boss told me sometimes when a bid driver takes off, it costs them 2xs as much to cover it, so I guess if Im not 100% Im better than a replacement? Im not trying to sound irreplaceable, as I know full well that is not true, UPS will go on with or without me, but for all the crap about our jobs are not careers, you are just a truck driver, they are just jobs....manual labor, I know better. I know people depend on me for their jobs. People depend on me to help them decide how to get a pkg where they need it in the time frame they need it. They dont have to call 1 800 anybody, and get put on hold forever, they can ask me, and I will take the time to help them. If it makes me run later, I tell them why. If we do not answer to the call of service, then what good are we, NONE!
So whenver you think that you cant make it, look around and see everyone as beat up as you, and at mickey ds they may have stayed home, but at UPS you usually dont.
That is why we make what we make, why they can depend on us, and why even though some crumb cruncher has tried to make you feel insignificant, you are not. That is why we are successful, and why we will continue to be.
While I agree, and any other honest person knows we have been totally screwed with these numbers, this is where we hold our ground, we are the best in the industry, and it will continue, they know it and we know it. Its the ethic of work.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The numbers depend on the route. The only way to know if they are close is to see what other drivers do on the same route.
No its not just about comparison, its about comparison, when all things are equal.
120 stops on a day when 90 are commercial and 30 are resi, is not the same as 60 commercial and 60 resi. With 12 yrs under your belt, you would know that.
I love your great attitude. Just wait til you get screwed on a bad rt. And its your bid rt. You will feel the same. Its not always attitude, it is sometimes, possibility vs the impossible. To keep your great attitude, I hope it keeps going your way.

JustTired

free at last.......
I too just want to finish the race.
Im almost 39, (well actually 50, but Im still a woman so I lie)
I see broken down guys half my age getting hurt, and wondering how they will ever do it, that gives me hope. I know I can outrun most of them based on experience and knowledge, instead of shear testosterone power or age.
And it really is your work ethic.
Ive went to work mornings where I never thought I could climb in my truck once, much less 150 or more times, and I make it. When my whole body ached, my hair hurt....... and I made it. Its not for everyone thats why everyone cannot do it.
My boss told me sometimes when a bid driver takes off, it costs them 2xs as much to cover it, so I guess if Im not 100% Im better than a replacement? Im not trying to sound irreplaceable, as I know full well that is not true, UPS will go on with or without me, but for all the crap about our jobs are not careers, you are just a truck driver, they are just jobs....manual labor, I know better. I know people depend on me for their jobs. People depend on me to help them decide how to get a pkg where they need it in the time frame they need it. They dont have to call 1 800 anybody, and get put on hold forever, they can ask me, and I will take the time to help them. If it makes me run later, I tell them why. If we do not answer to the call of service, then what good are we, NONE!
So whenver you think that you cant make it, look around and see everyone as beat up as you, and at mickey ds they may have stayed home, but at UPS you usually dont.
That is why we make what we make, why they can depend on us, and why even though some crumb cruncher has tried to make you feel insignificant, you are not. That is why we are successful, and why we will continue to be.
While I agree, and any other honest person knows we have been totally screwed with these numbers, this is where we hold our ground, we are the best in the industry, and it will continue, they know it and we know it. Its the ethic of work.

Good post!!!

Brings to mind a couple of my favorite sayings:

We can all be replaced....but try to replace us all and you get what you get.

Sometimes you don't know what you had until it's gone.

ups_vette

Sometimes you don't know what you had until it's gone.

That's a great saying JustTired. I personally know of several former UPS drivers who thought they were invincible and couldn't be touched, regardless of what they did, till the day they were discharged, and now realize what a great job they lost.

jugbutt2

Hey Guys -

Haven't been on the site in a while, but looks like this same discussion has been going on all the way back to when I first stepped into a UPS bldg back in 1973.....

What I told the drivers was this ---- show up every day and give it an honest effort, work safe and go home to your family at night. What I didn't like was someone who was an hour bonus today, and then an hour overallowed tomorrow. I understand conditions on the area aren't static, (red lights, trains, hard rain, etc.), but at least the effort could be the same every day.

And I agree with you, Outta Hours, the load and the dispatch should be good. The driver shouldn't have to look all over the package car to find pkgs for a stop. If that's the problem, then the preload should be held accountable. Not sure if that accountability process is different with PAS, as I left about the time that was hitting.

I've got to run, will check in later. Be safe, and have a good peak!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hey Guys -

Haven't been on the site in a while, but looks like this same discussion has been going on all the way back to when I first stepped into a UPS bldg back in 1973.....

What I told the drivers was this ---- show up every day and give it an honest effort, work safe and go home to your family at night. What I didn't like was someone who was an hour bonus today, and then an hour overallowed tomorrow. I understand conditions on the area aren't static, (red lights, trains, hard rain, etc.), but at least the effort could be the same every day.

And I agree with you, Outta Hours, the load and the dispatch should be good. The driver shouldn't have to look all over the package car to find pkgs for a stop. If that's the problem, then the preload should be held accountable. Not sure if that accountability process is different with PAS, as I left about the time that was hitting.

I've got to run, will check in later. Be safe, and have a good peak!

Thanks tie

rocket man

i have been running the same route for 6 years, the route was time studied 5 years ago. 6 years ago i used to have 120 stops 225 pakages, now the route has changed over years now its 120 stops 400 pakages. Gained about 20 new bussiness stops, mngtm is constantly threating me and harassing me cause i am 120 overallowed over everyday, they make comments that they are going to fire me etc. They say i am the worst driver in district.

They rode with me for 3 days about a year ago, could not find any faults. They say that they cant do time study , because its too expensive.
Does anyone else relate to my post? Routes change, but management seems to never change.
the worst driver in the district>? You are in a club of many congradulations