Over the phone training????

thom1842

I wasn't called in today (On Call Air Driver) but my manager called me and did DIAD training over the phone he punched me in for 5 minutes of pay while he read the questions. Seemed a little odd, anyone else ever have this happen?

over9five

Staff member
Strange, yes. But as long as you were punched in, great!

Be interesting to see if it really shows up on your paycheck.

brownrodster

I wasn't called in today (On Call Air Driver) but my manager called me and did DIAD training over the phone he punched me in for 5 minutes of pay while he read the questions. Seemed a little odd, anyone else ever have this happen?

I would refuse to do anything like that. If they punched me in I would request 8 hours then file if they didn't pay up.

thom1842

I assume that you are a FT pkg car driver. The OP is an on call air driver. I'd say he did the right thing.
Yeah I am PT. My center is all air and operates out of an airport so my thinking was any amount of time is good, even if it's only 5 minutes ($1.08 at my current rate :greedy:). It just struck me as a little strange.

UPSNewbie

Yeah I am PT. My center is all air and operates out of an airport so my thinking was any amount of time is good, even if it's only 5 minutes ($1.08 at my current rate :greedy:). It just struck me as a little strange.

Hey, that's the exact amount for a McChicken + tax.:funny:

raceanoncr

Art 22:
"All part-time employees governed by this article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee".

Any comments on why you shouldn't get at least 3 1/2 hours out of that day because of this language?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Art 22:
"All part-time employees governed by this article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee".

Any comments on why you shouldn't get at least 3 1/2 hours out of that day because of this language?

I am sure the sup just wanted the OP to complete the DIAD training so that he could check him off his list. There is no way he is going to pay him 3 1/2 hours for a 5 minute phone call. I agree punching him for 5 minutes was a joke but you insisting that he get 3 1/2 hours is a bigger one.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Art 22:

Because article 40 over rides all other language in the contract. As an air driver he/she falls under article 40 and has a 3 hour guarantee. We do not have on call air drivers so i cannot comment on the rest of this.

raceanoncr

Because article 40 over rides all other language in the contract. As an air driver he/she falls under article 40 and has a 3 hour guarantee. We do not have on call air drivers so i cannot comment on the rest of this.

Oh, excuse me! I got the wrong article! So you're dinging me on articles when the difference seems to be a half an hour? I ain't that familiar with p/ters vs air drivers.

What if they had shown up at the hub or center and punched in? The Supe or center manager says we ain't got any work for you but we're gonna pay you five minutes to go over training, then you go home. Upstate? You OK with that? I say work is for work and punch out time is for punch out time. How far are you gonna let it go?

You're on vacation. The cover driver runs into trouble. The center manager calls you at home to run a few stops from the cover driver to another bail out driver cuz it's near your house. You say that's absurd? Well, it's happened!

We've got dispatch supes here calling feeder drivers ON THEIR CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING to stop at a different center to pick up a trailer or drop off. Is that OK? You make the call.

If we have a city job and are at the building taking meal period, you don't even ASK when I'll be off break! We've filed on it and WON! Why? Cuz they were coming down on OUR break talking about our next move, where we're gonna go next, what trailer we're picking up, etc.

While at work, I'll give a hundred percent. They have no question I'm doing the job and doing it honestly. BUT, when I'm OFF work, DON'T BOTHER ME UNLESS YOU WANT TO PLAY BY THE RULES! And with me, as a full timer, my rules (that you also agreed to as management) is that you pay me at least 6 hours show up time if you've punched me in to do a phone dispatch or questionair.

Hard nosed? Perhaps. But, again, how far do you want to let it go? If you're agreeable to 5 min here, 4 min there, 10 min over there, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I am sure the sup just wanted the OP to complete the DIAD training so that he could check him off his list. There is no way he is going to pay him 3 1/2 hours for a 5 minute phone call. I agree punching him for 5 minutes was a joke but you insisting that he get 3 1/2 hours is a bigger one.

Nope - if he wasn't prepared to pay him the minimum hours, then he should have waited until the next day the employee signed in for a full day. He is completely, inarguably entitled to his hourly minimum - that is why it is there.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Oh, excuse me! I got the wrong article! So you're dinging me on articles when the difference seems to be a half an hour? I ain't that familiar with p/ters vs air drivers.
Race I was not dinging you on anything. I was just educating you on article 40. Air operations are covered under article 40 this covers employees at airports and air drivers, walkers etc. I meant nothing by it at all.

I did not reply to the original poster that he should get paid his/her minimum, because i took it for granted that everyone here would already know MY stance on it.

raceanoncr

OK, Red, maybe I went a little over the top on that one. Sorry. I, as well as you I surmise, agree that this kinda thing should not be going on-no matter if you're p/t or friend/t. As I have stated before, I am not a steward and am not that familiar with p/t dealings. I am just familiar with what we've had in place for years and now these people are trying to subvert it or (in the case of Upstate) say it's OK or not that bigga deal.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
On the very few times I've received a call at home for clarification, questions, regarding work, and unless it is a "come in / don't come in" call, it is always "name, rank, serial number" unless I am on the clock. My time is mine.

some1else

Banned
pffffttt i put ups caller ID number from my building as "do not answer" in my phone lol; when you show people when its ringing they think its hilarious

Catatonic

Nine Lives
pffffttt i put ups caller ID number from my building as "do not answer" in my phone lol; when you show people when its ringing they think its hilarious

Sort of like my e-mail setting for my UPS e-mail accoount I have set up.
I take certain people's e-mails and dump them into a "holding" folder and check them every couple of weeks (or longer) when I have some extra time.