over/under clicks and #?$@ (on topic)

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
For someone who has only been here a short time, you sure have a lot of the lingo down pat. You're not pulling our leg, are you? Don't worry about their numbers, unless you're still on probation. The more work you do, voila! your numbers will magically change. Masters of head games. Do the best that you can, and never look at the OR again. It will melt your face off.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
For someone who has only been here a short time, you sure have a lot of the lingo down pat. You're not pulling our leg, are you? Don't worry about their numbers, unless you're still on probation. The more work you do, voila! your numbers will magically change. Masters of head games. Do the best that you can, and never look at the OR again. It will melt your face off.
LOVE THE PICTURE!!!! HAHA!!!!
I started last peak as an OTS hire. I worked from the week of Thanksgiving thru Christmas Eve and was let go then. I went back to the hub and was brought back in the summer. Everyone tells me to never look at the report. I do because I want to know if I'm living up to the standard or if I need to press harder.

TheMasochist

The numbers don't make any sense
So other than like Upstate said - "I'm doing the best I can"... What else could I say in response to them when they come to me and ask "What happened?"
I seriously at this point to ask "When do I have seniority or what do I need more to do to get it?" I have 5 kids (just like everyone else) to support here.

So other than like Upstate said - "I'm doing the best I can"... What else could I say in response to them when they come to me and ask "What happened?"
I seriously at this point to ask "When do I have seniority or what do I need more to do to get it?" I have 5 kids (just like everyone else) to support here.
They are testing you. Keep calm and don't let them rattle you. Make sure you take the proper credit for the work that you do,that may help you with your over/under.

TheMasochist

Depending on your situation, you may not be able to qualify during "peak". I didn't qualify until the first day I worked in January.
Peak is in 2 weeks here. That is another what 6-10 days depending if I work Tuesday-Thursday or Monday-Friday

But I'm seriously trying to make book here. It's a HUGE let-down when I see the numbers and then when I think about it they don't add up one bit!
Follow their methods. Push up everything on the shelves and bus ass. If you show them (demonstrate) you can do the job they should take notice. This job and hard workers that can do the job aren't growing on trees these days. With this newer generation someone that can do the job and shows a positive attitude goes a long way. Keep the center management team involved and keep asking them for pointers to make book. It's possible to grow in them and with a positive mental attitude they can do things with your dispatch to make it happen. If it doesn't keep your good records and file on it after the fact. We have been very successful in our local getting members second and third chances because management didn't follow the packet and other things properly.

A positive mental attitude goes a long way. We had a 53 year old man who qualify even though he didn't make the five days because he wouldn't break. He showed good character. Checked with management everyday. Learned who his steward was and was so respectful that the steward kept asking so many questions that they qualified him. He has turned out to be a good character driver a year and a half later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LOVE THE PICTURE!!!! HAHA!!!!
I started last peak as an OTS hire. I worked from the week of Thanksgiving thru Christmas Eve and was let go then. I went back to the hub and was brought back in the summer. Everyone tells me to never look at the report. I do because I want to know if I'm living up to the standard or if I need to press harder.

Trying to obtain Upstate numbers just ain't gonna happen! ;)