Over worked

Do you have the same problem?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

San Gab Hub 92C

Today I heard my Manager say it's all about the numbers and not about Customer Service; Our name is United Parcel SERVICE.

I have been with UPS for over 22 years and feel since the EDD system came into place I have been overworked, less time with family, more mileage in my truck, more stressed with customers and less sleep.

I have 10 years left and hope to retire package. Management thinks 10 stops are 10 stops but they lack area knowledge.

I hope things change back to service not numbers....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have become a more efficient service provider since the advent of EDD. Yes, there is more work on the pkg car, and the emphasis has shifted away from customer service, but I still take care of my customers. I use EDD to my advantage by going through EDD before I go on road to see if there any ways that I can save myself some time during the day, whether it be breaking trace to dump a bulk stop, indirecting pkgs to a business stop, or calling a customer who has a signature required pkg to let him/her know about what time I will be there. I did that Wednesday for a customer who had 5 cases of wine and they actually met me on the road. I will admit that I do not spend a lot of time talking to customers but the time that I do spend is productive.

brownrodster

I hope things change back to service not numbers....

Over the last year I've had a lot of customers claim that they were going to switch to FedEx because of UPS' inability to deliver their packages at a reasonably early time.

Business don't want their deliveries at 3 PM. Especially when their pickup is 4 PM and they need to ship that stuff they recieved back out that evening.

But the reality is that UPS takes their customers for granted. I did a route last week that used to have an insane pickup route. Now some of the largest pickups have switched to fedex because of our lack of reliability.

We're told we have to comply with pickup times. But delivery times are what is more important to the customer. When they eliminate the neighbor route and you are delivering to companies at the same time you pick them up you begin to lose a lot of credibility in the eyes of the customer.

Overpaid Union Thug

We were told right after peak to expect to have more stops on the cars. Ever since then customers have been complaining more and more. If more and more drivers were to do their jobs by the methods (stop running and take every minute of your lunch!) then it would make it extremely hard for management to continue to pile on more and more work. In my center only 15% of our drivers have put themselves on the over 9.5 list and I know that more than 15% have been worked over 9.5 more than three days in a week.

bbsam

Staff member
Over the last year I've had a lot of customers claim that they were going to switch to FedEx because of UPS' inability to deliver their packages at a reasonably early time.

Business don't want their deliveries at 3 PM. Especially when their pickup is 4 PM and they need to ship that stuff they recieved back out that evening.

But the reality is that UPS takes their customers for granted. I did a route last week that used to have an insane pickup route. Now some of the largest pickups have switched to fedex because of our lack of reliability.

We're told we have to comply with pickup times. But delivery times are what is more important to the customer. When they eliminate the neighbor route and you are delivering to companies at the same time you pick them up you begin to lose a lot of credibility in the eyes of the customer.
i know that this is not going to be a popular thing to post here, but this sounds alot like fedex groung (sorry, big arrow, rps). our later in the afternoon deliveries cost us a huge local farm implement account that shipped millions worth world wide. the dealers were used to getting their shipments at 10am and we weren't getting there until 3 or 4pm. what is my point? it's clear that fedex can undercut ups in price almost at will, so if ups management can't deliver superior service (horror stories aside) why should the customer stay with ups?

Customer service does not matter anymore, I to try my best to help my customers as much as I can. It has however been made clear to me that all that matters is what your Stops Per Hour Count is. I have recieved a couple warning letters and have had 10 supervised rides so far this year. I have filed non stop 9-5 grievences and filed for exccessive rides and over supervision. Our union rep here can not handle his job. He cannot handle confrontation, and more less is leaving us to fend for ourselves. At the momeant I am being told that I will face suspension or termination. I am working as fast and as safely as I can, I would say that I am just complaining but I am now one of 5 to 6 drivers in my center they pulling this on.

Sorry I may have strayed from the point here a bit but also curious if this is happening to anyone anywhere else. I gurrantee that none of these supervisors could pull the numbers they asking for nor run my numbers consistanly. Each day I recieve different cutts to my route and alot of times these cutts are along ways from my route.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We were told right after peak to expect to have more stops on the cars. Ever since then customers have been complaining more and more. If more and more drivers were to do their jobs by the methods (stop running and take every minute of your lunch!) then it would make it extremely hard for management to continue to pile on more and more work. In my center only 15% of our drivers have put themselves on the over 9.5 list and I know that more than 15% have been worked over 9.5 more than three days in a week.
We have the same issues here BAU. Too many drivers running and skipping their breaks. Hell, even my steward does it. :dissapointed: We have very few drivers on the 9.5 list and with the change in the language it is even harder for utility drivers (my area) to get on the 9.5 list.

I think EDD has improved the amount of time it takes to del. It only makes sense. We don't waste time entering the next address, we don't waste time trying to remeber the next address. Everything we need is right at our finger tips. As was already pointed out, it is alot easier to find the short cuts.

I do see one thing that is not good. With EDD rtes have been cut, obviously, but if there are problems in a del area (IE: truck breakdowns, one rte is way to heavy, etc) it is harder to get help there. The next rte over is farther away than it used to be because the rte in between has been cut.

longshot

Customer service does not matter anymore, I to try my best to help my customers as much as I can. It has however been made clear to me that all that matters is what your Stops Per Hour Count is. I have recieved a couple warning letters and have had 10 supervised rides so far this year. I have filed non stop 9-5 grievences and filed for exccessive rides and over supervision. Our union rep here can not handle his job. He cannot handle confrontation, and more less is leaving us to fend for ourselves. At the momeant I am being told that I will face suspension or termination. I am working as fast and as safely as I can, I would say that I am just complaining but I am now one of 5 to 6 drivers in my center they pulling this on.

Sorry I may have strayed from the point here a bit but also curious if this is happening to anyone anywhere else. I gurrantee that none of these supervisors could pull the numbers they asking for nor run my numbers consistanly. Each day I recieve different cutts to my route and alot of times these cutts are along ways from my route.

This is happening at my center as well and our union rep is worthless. i just rode with my sup today on a performance ride, it was a joke. My sup is counting the days to retirement, she hates her job, it use to be a great place to work when i first started many years ago.:anxious:

Countrygirl

I del. out in wine country. My customers ship a lot of cases daily and over twice that when it is wine club time or Christmas. I have lost those pick ups to Golden state overnight. My customers found they are a lot cheaper and have refridgerated trucks.
They told me the hardest part about going with GSO is they really like the service they get from me. Unfortunatly, now with "big Brother" watching our every move, I can't go the "extra" mile to help them out like I used too.
Saving money is this econmical time has won out to what used to be customer service. But, at east my back doesn't kill me everynight like it used too. And I still get free bottles of wine!