Overboard Termination looking for advice

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I agree.. What that guy does is not cool. He's an Unsupportive prick.
I'm unsupportive because I don't think you're realistic in your claim to be a driver in1-2 years after quitting before?

So at 28 YO, you need your hand held and told what you want to hear instead of reality?

I'm supportive of anyone who puts their time in and sticks it out. What I'm not supportive of is some guy who quits and then comes back and expects to be at the head of the game because he claims to "put more pride" into ups.

Sorry but I see guys like you every peak. What I admire are the PTers, who year after year, put in their seniority and earn it like we all did.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I'm unsupportive because I don't think you're realistic in your claim to be a driver in1-2 years after quitting before?

So at 28 YO, you need your hand held and told what you want to hear instead of reality?

I'm supportive of anyone who puts their time in and sticks it out. What I'm not supportive of is some guy who quits and then comes back and expects to be at the head of the game because he claims to "put more pride" into ups.

Sorry but I see guys like you every peak. What I admire are the PTers, who year after year, put in their seniority and earn it like we all did.
Again, you don't know what you're talking about.. I'm 32.. I quit 4 years ago at 28, when my full time job that paid the bills hours changed. Get your facts straight.. Again, if I was like most people I run into at UPS, they're kids that live at home with their parents with very minimal bills. I worked the recession years 07,08,09,10... And quit December of 10 after I was given an ultimatum by my supervisor at the dealership at that time since they had fired everyone due to the economy. I was 24 when I started with UPS. Just bought a house and got married.. We had 1 child at the time.. And had the 2nd in September of 10. After meeting with the hub manager and him telling me it could be another 5-10 years and that drivers were losing their routes due to the economy as well, that's when I had no choice to put my 2 weeks in. I'm not going to lose my home and put my wife and kids on the street so I can make my $14/HR, 15 hours a week.. See, I make really good money.. Always have, from the time I was 18 I've always made $52k+.. So i couldn't grin and bare it to find a job that worked with ups' schedule cause most of those are $10/hr warehouse jobs driving forklifts...

So to you, I'm less of a "real UPSer" because I took care of my family when I had to? Lol I'll take being less of a UPSer to you, to be more of a man to my family.. Good day sir! Lol

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Again, you don't know what you're talking about.. I'm 32.. I quit 4 years ago at 28, when my full time job that paid the bills hours changed. Get your facts straight.. Again, if I was like most people I run into at UPS, they're kids that live at home with their parents with very minimal bills. I worked the recession years 07,08,09,10... And quit December of 10 after I was given an ultimatum by my supervisor at the dealership at that time since they had fired everyone due to the economy. I was 24 when I started with UPS. Just bought a house and got married.. We had 1 child at the time.. And had the 2nd in September of 10. After meeting with the hub manager and him telling me it could be another 5-10 years and that drivers were losing their routes due to the economy as well, that's when I had no choice to put my 2 weeks in. I'm not going to lose my home and put my wife and kids on the street so I can make my $14/HR, 15 hours a week.. See, I make really good money.. Always have, from the time I was 18 I've always made $52k+.. So i couldn't grin and bare it to find a job that worked with ups' schedule cause most of those are $10/hr warehouse jobs driving forklifts...

So to you, I'm less of a "real UPSer" because I took care of my family when I had to? Lol I'll take being less of a UPSer to you, to be more of a man to my family.. Good day sir! Lol

You just started with ups. All that other time doesn't mean anything at all so bringing it up like it counts is pointless.

Everyone here takes care of their family. That's why we put up with what we do. Everyone here has had obstacles to overcome to get to where they are. You aren't special because of it. I had it a lot worse when I was part time and I never once thought of quitting. Like I said, if you were serious back then about making ups a careers, you make choices and sacrifices. Everyone has.

As far as being a "real upser ", it's not about that. You want to go to the front of the line just because you used to work here and quit. Everyone who doesn't have you "pride" should just quit and let you do it. Sorry but that's where you lost my respect. I know much more deserving PT guys who are still waiting and going through worse.

And if you make really good money then why try to rush to be a ups driver? You're 32. It could almost or past when you're 40 before you might get a FT bid. Then there's progression for 4 years. You're looking at almost being 50. Then you're going to 20 years for a minimum pension?(35 is max). Just doesn't make sense if you make so much already.

You took the easy way out and now you want to come back and have everyone give you encouragement and respect. You could of transferred different shifts at ups if it was interfering your FT day job. Lots of guys do it.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I know what you meant... But if you have seen his personal attacks on me from my threads, you'd change your tune, which is why I did it for you.
I give what you gave. That goes both ways. You come on here and start saying how everyone should quit because you have more pride and other BS, don't get sad if you get called on your BS. Do you walk around the hub saying how you used to work there years ago and you'll be a driver in 1-2 years? If you do, you're going to be very sad and what they'll say behind your back.

You might want to grow some very thick skin especially if you want to be a ups driver with a long career here. It takes plenty of that.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I give what you gave. That goes both ways. You come on here and start saying how everyone should quit because you have more pride and other BS, don't get sad if you get called on your BS. Do you walk around the hub saying how you used to work there years ago and you'll be a driver in 1-2 years? If you do, you're going to be very sad and what they'll say behind your back.

You might want to grow some very thick skin especially if you want to be a ups driver with a long career here. It takes plenty of that.
I never said I should go to the head of the line.. And in my hub, people are getting called to drive in less then a year.. 90% of my hub are less then 5 years seniority as of today.. The ones that wanted to drive are driving... The ones that have the senoity and aren't driving have already passed it up and don't want to.. And the others, can't since their driving records suck.. I've already heard from numerous sups that they're losing people to driving all the time with less then a year in because they're so thin right now. 4 alone this year with less then a year in.. And this December there's going to be lots of feeder retires and pc guys moving to feeders. I've heard that from the 19 year driver that stops at my dealership. He's so ready to get away from pc. If it takes 5 years, so be it.. But don't trash me based on what I've heard and my hopes of it happening sooner then later..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You might want to rethink all those retirements now the central states has announced cuts. Some of those guys might decide to stay longer and pad their savings. Also it will eventually slow down with the massive movement of drivers into FT.
One thing you need to learn real quick at ups is nothing is ever guaranteed. The only you can bet on is uncertainty. Also if you're in the Orlando hub, it's not going to be as quick as you think.

Grow some thicker skin rookie or you want make your PT seniority let alone your 30 days for FT seniority.

And yes you did imply guys like you "with pride" should be doing the job while guys like me with seniority step aside. That's wanting to go to the front of the line.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You also know it's a low starting rate of pay and a four year progression when you go FT? Don't want you to be disappointed when you take a pay cut from that high paying dealership job.

Also work/life balance doesn't exist as a driver. Being on the bottom if you make seniority, you'll swing different routes and be the guy out late. You might want to do more research into what you're getting into especially late in the game at your age.
Otherwise you're going to be very disappointed it isn't all that you seem to think it is.

Overpaid Union Thug

Let's say the OP has 20-25 people working on the same shift. Each of those people saw what he did and each of them saw the consequences of his actions. That is called "sending a message".

The company had no intention of permanently terminating the OP.

He does not deserve to receive back pay.

It doesn't matter what its called. Their is a legal and binding contract that the company signed and they must follow it. In the case of the OP there is language in their supplement that allowed management to consider his dumb dumb move a defacto cardinal sin and where able to play their game. In my neck of the woods that would not fly. The last time someone crossed a moving belt in my center the center manager suspended them but they ended up having to pay them for those days because he ignored the disciplinary process that is spelled out in our supplement.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It doesn't matter what its called. Their is a legal and binding contract that the company signed and they must follow it. In the case of the OP there is language in their supplement that allowed management to consider his dumb dumb move a defacto cardinal sin and where able to play their game. In my neck of the woods that would not fly. The last time someone crossed a moving belt in my center the center manager suspended them but they ended up having to pay them for those days because he ignored the disciplinary process that is spelled out in our supplement.
Dave, he's right on this. I've seen this in many grievance hearings. And every time, back pay was awarded. Was the OP stupid for doing it? Absolutely but it's spelled out in the contract what progressive discipline is. If we let UPS decide what they think is a cardinal sin for that day, then there is no purpose to the contract.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Don't care.

It was an effective move by that manager.
Yeah your point is shocking. I'm so surprised you don't care about the contract you make a good living working under.

You always take the side of management unless it was them firing you for all the dishonest "methods " you have admitted to committing on here every day. Then you'll be on here saying how it was unjustified.

It's always justified in your eyes if it's someone else.

CoolArrow

5 keys to preventing slips/ falls

Walk at a brisk pace/ don't run

#2 Establish firm footing- maintain your balance

#3 Don't walk on moving conveyor rollers, chutes, and slide

#4 Look before stepping

#5 Make adjustments based on changing conditions

Which part Don't you get...

Brainwashed often? Good thing Jim Jones never got a hold of you.

AutoZone

BrownPower
You also know it's a low starting rate of pay and a four year progression when you go FT? Don't want you to be disappointed when you take a pay cut from that high paying dealership job.

Also work/life balance doesn't exist as a driver. Being on the bottom if you make seniority, you'll swing different routes and be the guy out late. You might want to do more research into what you're getting into especially late in the game at your age.
Otherwise you're going to be very disappointed it isn't all that you seem to think it is.
I know exactly what I'm getting into.. And in Orlando, it seems to be a great time to be in that hub.. Everyone... Management, drivers, and other pt people I've talked with all have verified it seems to be moving quickly in Orlando right now. New air hub going up right next to the airport as we speak.. Going to need to increase the feeder drivers moving loads.. Orlando is a very heavy hub. And there's LOTS of new faces driving that I notice from 4 years ago.. How about we agree to disagree on what you think is going on in my hub.. And let's just hope for the best. The power of positive thinking brother.

newfie

You should not have been terminated for that unless you have a recent history of crossing moving belts that includes warning letters and suspensions. A good steward/BA would have had you back to work the next day with a warning letter instead of termination.

walking on a belt is pretty serious stuff. might have saved his life in the long run by firing him now to give him his wake up call. Good thing he didn't trip and fall and get ripped up in a belt. Not to mention its a serious Osha issue. we do want Osha supporting us right? There are times when its more then union versus management. this is one of them. Get your head out of you but stop risking your life and personal safety. This aint combat.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I know exactly what I'm getting into.. And in Orlando, it seems to be a great time to be in that hub.. Everyone... Management, drivers, and other pt people I've talked with all have verified it seems to be moving quickly in Orlando right now. New air hub going up right next to the airport as we speak.. Going to need to increase the feeder drivers moving loads.. Orlando is a very heavy hub. And there's LOTS of new faces driving that I notice from 4 years ago.. How about we agree to disagree on what you think is going on in my hub.. And let's just hope for the best. The power of positive thinking brother.

Get your part time seniority first, and stop thinking you're going to run before you even learn to crawl.

Or else you're going to have a very disappointing career at ups. I know the Orlando hub. You've got a long wait regardless of the Air hub. A lot of those feeder guys aren't retiring quickly like you think they are.

Put your time, pay your dues this time and don't quit. When it happens, it'll happen. You've got more then 1-2 years in that hub. Optimistically maybe 5. Most likely 7 or more. They've capped out their huge influx of moving into FT driver positions. Unless the whole feeder department decides to retire in 1-2 years,(which they aren't) you've got a wait. Deal with that reality and just put your time in patiently.

Last edited: