Overboard Termination looking for advice

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i hope you realize why they have a zero tolerance on belt surfing. somebody has either been killed doing it or will be killed or maimed by doing it.

you seem to have a cavalier attitude about it. they (UPS) will want to make an example out of you.

you made a HUGE mistake and the company is NOT going overboard ( as you say ) about it .

that being said i hope you DONT lose your job over it if you have been a good employee for 7 years. i hope you learn something.

if you come back maybe you will be a safer worker and a good example to all your coworkers. even join the safety committee.

do some research on belt accidents company wide and maybe you will understand. we had a kid lose his arm in a moving belt for not following safety methods. he's lucky to be alive.

DOK

Hi I've been working at a ups hub for 7 years with 0 incidents as a loader last Friday I was a bit stressed from the work week, and I saw that the volume was picking up and the high picks were rushing around. We were all tired from the weeks workload so I thought I could help out by letting them get through that flow by getting on my belt without telling them to shut it off, the jam was small and I walked about 2 feet to break it, I grabbed the safety rail once it was broken and all was good 5mins later my full time sup calls me down and there's this guy I've never met shaking my hand asking me how long have I worked here I told him 7 years I heard him mumble something I blew it off and went back to my truck to finish loading, again my full time sup called me out to go to an office this guy was sitting there I sat down to see what was going on and he started talking about how I surfed the belt apparently, then added about a 0 tolerance safety infraction which was news to me and terminated me on the spot I filed a grievance but I've been gone for a week now the union guys haven't called me back like they said, and I want to get back to work has this ever happened to you guys?

Back in the day sup used to walk up and down the moving belt to take stop counts.

mike1646

Boxlines are an old design from before package sizes went up and when there were fewer irregs.

When I was a preloader our building used to process around 25k pkgs per day and 65k during peak. Now is around 70k daily and around 120k during peak. They can never wrap, all you see are hundreds of irregs, stacks.
I still like the cage system better than the belts.