Overboard Termination looking for advice

So many perfect employees out there. Kid made a mistake and he owned it. Why are people taking shots at him. Seems many want to take down anyone who try's to do something good for the company or co workers. In the old days I would ride flat on the belt just to massage my aching back.
Did you ever hide in one of the boxline cages and jump out to scare one of the preloaders.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So many perfect employees out there. Kid made a mistake and he owned it. Why are people taking shots at him. Seems many want to take down anyone who try's to do something good for the company or co workers. In the old days I would ride flat on the belt just to massage my aching back.

The kid did not make a mistake. A mistake is missorting or misloading a package.

What he did could end up getting OSHA involved. This is not a slap on the wrist and don't do it again.

This is an issue involving some time off to get the point across how serious an issue it is. If it is more than a week off, it may be excessive. A week is point proven. Walk on a moving belt and lose a week's pay.

The problem occurs if that it continues to happen nationwide. Someone may end up losing their job to prove a point and get it to stop.

There have already been serious injuries. Let's hope we are not to the point of this kid losing his job yet. Even though it was the first time he did this, as a whole, he could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

BTW...We did a lot of stupid stuff back in the day that will get you fired today. I am guilty.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Did you ever hide in one of the boxline cages and jump out to scare one of the preloaders.
In our hub, a supervisor was promoted to days. They locked him in a box line cage without any shelves in it. He had his suit on. While they wheeled him back to the car wash, he threatened to fire everyone. Parked him in the middle of the wash and turned it on. He really was a good sup, took it real well. No one got in trouble. But that poor suit got pretty wet.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This is Day 1 don't do stuff, not a misload.

Overpaid Union Thug

The last time someone in my building was busted crossing a moving belt they were suspended for a short time but ended up getting paid for it. Pushing safety is definitely a good thing but we still have a grievance procedure to follow.

blkmamba

The last time someone in my building was busted crossing a moving belt they were suspended for a short time but ended up getting paid for it. Pushing safety is definitely a good thing but we still have a grievance procedure to follow.
I feel like this guy got walked out because whoever the person he didn't know is actually a higher up. I saw this all the time, when the higher ups came people would get walked out for the stupidest safety violations. The other 98% of the time they weren't there it was business as usual.

Overpaid Union Thug

I feel like this guy got walked out because whoever the person he didn't know is actually a higher up. I saw this all the time, when the higher ups came people would get walked out for the stupidest safety violations. The other 98% of the time they weren't there it was business as usual.
Probably but their status on the metric monkey totem poll doesn't negate the contract or its grievance procedure. I'm sick of those empty suits and their god complexes.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Probably but their status on the metric monkey totem poll doesn't negate the contract or its grievance procedure. I'm sick of those empty suits and their god complexes.

I agree about the monkeys and their god complexes.

In this case, the grievance procedure has been implemented. The grievance will be heard.

The only issue is whether or not this was a dischargeable offense. If it was not, then the grievance procedure should get him back with full back pay.

This safety issue is turning out to be like workplace violence. It is not a cardinal sin, yet it is a dischargeable offense.

In the Central, they can do this under 17(I), but there are many supplements that just list the cardinal sins.

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree about the monkeys and their god complexes.

In this case, the grievance procedure has been implemented. The grievance will be heard.

The only issue is whether or not this was a dischargeable offense. If it was not, then the grievance procedure should get him back with full back pay.

This safety issue is turning out to be like workplace violence. It is not a cardinal sin, yet it is a dischargeable offense.

In the Central, they can do this under 17(I), but there are many supplements that just list the cardinal sins.
In my supplement if the comapny AND the union would simply follow the legal and binding signed contract no employee would ever be suspended for this issue before the other required disciplinary actions (warnings/warning letters) have taken place.

And speaking of workplace violence......

The contract clearly states UNPROVOKED, yet, I would be walked out the door by security if another driver attacked me before start time and I was forced to defend myself. And no backpay IF I actually got my job back. Based on the language in the contract it's rather clear that if there were witnesses I would be able to continue working. But that's not what happens.

In my supplement if the comapny AND the union would simply follow the legal and binding signed contract no employee would ever be suspended for this issue before the other required disciplinary actions (warnings/warning letters) have taken place.

And speaking of workplace violence......

The contract clearly states UNPROVOKED, yet, I would be walked out the door by security if another driver attacked me before start time and I was forced to defend myself. And no backpay IF I actually got my job back. Based on the language in the contract it's rather clear that if there were witnesses I would be able to continue working. But that's not what happens.
UPDATE: I just spoke with the union, and I will be brought back to work so all is well thanks for all your help guys. Back to work!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
How so? Because he didn't get back pay? That doesn't make it a justifiable termination. You weren't in at that hearing were you? There could be many other reasons he was brought back without pay. Still doesn't mean it was justified.

And yes if your life is the definition of winner, then that's not saying much

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How so? Because he didn't get back pay? That doesn't make it a justifiable termination. You weren't in at that hearing were you? There could be many other reasons he was brought back without pay. Still doesn't mean it was justified.

And yes if your life is the definition of winner, then that's not saying much

The maroon surfed a belt. He deserved to lose his job.