Overmanagement

How can managers manage correctly when they cant even perform the task they are asking their employees to do.I have seen several on roads that cant drive stick.How can someone be taken seriously when they are asking of us what they cant do themselves.I think UPS has dropped the ball by promoting tech guys into leadership positions that dont involve their area of expertise.Then i watch as these people attempt to train employees and then wonder why the employee they trained are having a hard time performing the job or even worse getting into accidents,rollaways,and being injured.The quality of management has dropped and it all trickles down from there.I have seen people on this board defend management blindly and the same goes for us union workers.We all work for UPS and every once in a while a non management union employee might have a good idea that should be taken into consideration.The same goes for the union,not all management is out to get us.This company will continue to make profits but at the expense of its employees.

sdf6hr2

... .The quality of management has dropped and it all trickles down from there. ... ...This company will continue to make profits but at the expense of its employees.

totally agree here. p/t mgmt @ worldport is now basically college kids who are either too lazy to "do the work" or feel that "the work" is beneath them. they are getting free college and counting the semesters til they can say "friend-u ps" ...laughing at mid level mgmt and union lifers (suckers) mid level seems to be powerless to do anything about it though... don't want to hurt the college program's enrollment numbers...

UPSSOCKS

Hello everyone,This is a great site,and I've been reading the threads about 2 years and finally decided to join,I have been a supervisor at ups for a few years now,and I think ups wastes a lot of money with all the paperwork involved in overmanaging employees to the point where it makes them resentful towards the company.
I have been reproached a few times for refusing to discipline employees for insignificant mistakes.I have about had it with the being screamed at for things that I can't change due to cutbacks.I have about had enough,

Look at your supporters on this thread... The union workforce.. That should tell you something...

tieguy

Banned
How can managers manage correctly when they cant even perform the task they are asking their employees to do.I have seen several on roads that cant drive stick.How can someone be taken seriously when they are asking of us what they cant do themselves.I think UPS has dropped the ball by promoting tech guys into leadership positions that dont involve their area of expertise.Then i watch as these people attempt to train employees and then wonder why the employee they trained are having a hard time performing the job or even worse getting into accidents,rollaways,and being injured.The quality of management has dropped and it all trickles down from there.I have seen people on this board defend management blindly and the same goes for us union workers.We all work for UPS and every once in a while a non management union employee might have a good idea that should be taken into consideration.The same goes for the union,not all management is out to get us.This company will continue to make profits but at the expense of its employees.

I think I would feel better about your criticism if I felt it was an accurate representation of reality. what tends to make me suspicious of your criticism is incorrect references such as the ones you used here. Managers run the center, onroads are supervisors responsible for training and report to the manager. I think most drivers who have been around long enough to comment on the decline of management would understand that point.

Otherwise I think your criticism may be more reflective of the decline of the workforce in general rather then a rant on management only.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

All companies make profits at the expense of their employees. How else would they make a profit? The company invests capitol and they hire people to do the work. Profit is the net gain on the amount of work produced minus the expense of producing the work. Companies that are unsuccessful at this basic concept fail to exist.

I think I would feel better about your criticism if I felt it was an accurate representation of reality. what tends to make me suspicious of your criticism is incorrect references such as the ones you used here. Managers run the center, onroads are supervisors responsible for training and report to the manager. I think most drivers who have been around long enough to comment on the decline of management would understand that point.

Otherwise I think your criticism may be more reflective of the decline of the workforce in general rather then a rant on management only.

Quality of people is usually a direct reflection on compensation. As the value of the job declines, the value of the people willing to do the work declines. As the company moves further toward industry standard compensation, the quality of people will continue to decline. PTers are already below industry standard and the quality is clearly reflective of the ever declining level of compensation.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
All companies make profits at the expense of their employees. How else would they make a profit? The company invests capitol and they hire people to do the work. Profit is the net gain on the amount of work produced minus the expense of producing the work. Companies that are unsuccessful at this basic concept fail to exist.

Quality of people is usually a direct reflection on compensation. As the value of the job declines, the value of the people willing to do the work declines. As the company moves further toward industry standard compensation, the quality of people will continue to decline. PTers are already below industry standard and the quality is clearly reflective of the ever declining level of compensation.[/QUOTE

++++

Tieguy.The things i commented on are 100% reality.I have seen first hand these things take place.It is 100% an accurate depiction of what is taking place.Once again someone is defending there side blindly.It may not be happening where you are but that does not mean it is not happening.You can discredit what i have to say but that does not mean it is not true.Once again i am dissapointed by the hardline stance that is displayed here.While my post may have been a rant these things are still taking place.Leaders lead by example and dont belittle people.The company as a whole is lacking in the leadership area.Workers do not want to follow what management have to say because they do not respect what they do.The workforce at UPS is working harder than ever and most of us are doing a great job and accepting the change.

I also understand that all companies make money at the expense of their employees.I think this general statement is taken to another level when it comes to UPS because not only are their employees affected but so are their families.I think that management and union employees could agree with this.Heart attacks,suicide,divorce,depression,injurys in many different forms.I have seen all of these things take place.Not that UPS is to blame for all of this but i think it has played an intrical part.I enjoy working for this company but find that nearly half of all employees are disgruntled in 1 way or another.I hate to bring up all of these things but people find it necassary to pick apart every detail.Sorry for not making this point clearer.This is a very successful company that could make just as much money while still being able to live up to their claim of being a family first environment.

DS

Fenderbender
Tieguy.The things i commented on are 100% reality.I have seen first hand these things take place.It is 100% an accurate depiction of what is taking place.Once again someone is defending there side blindly.It may not be happening where you are but that does not mean it is not happening.You can discredit what i have to say but that does not mean it is not true.Once again i am dissapointed by the hardline stance that is displayed here.While my post may have been a rant these things are still taking place.Leaders lead by example and dont belittle people.The company as a whole is lacking in the leadership area.Workers do not want to follow what management have to say because they do not respect what they do.The workforce at UPS is working harder than ever and most of us are doing a great job and accepting the change.
I agree wholeheartedly.The diversity of standards are not set.
Some people cannot understand that being in a position of power,is not a licence to expect the impossible .Every hub ,every center,is run completely different.
tieguy is lucky to be in one that promotes the people that really deserve it.

U

upsman39

We dont need all that management. Most of them are wasted salaries,,,,......

dillweed

Wow, oh wow, what an interesting discussion. I can understand tie's point that there's a job to be done and sups have no choice but to do it according to plan. Jobs are hard to get nowadays, real hard. I feel for our sups because there is an overload of BS paperwork and their hands are tied as far as what they can do to handle employees. In some ways the union is to blame for this as they must protect the slackers as well as those who are truly being abused. And to be honest I am not as strong as I used to be and they are not able to get rid of me due to age and physical condition. I have never played that card and continue to produce but they could certainly replace me with a younger person making less than half what I make.

The workforce, as far as I'm concerned, has gone downhill. There have always been stinkers who milk the system but some of these young guys just suck. It's a shame when an older woman like myself can outwork a 20 year old kid without breaking a sweat. We DO have some young guys who really bust butt and I would never have been able to do what they do every day. I just love and respect them for their efforts.

I could go on and on but it's early and my self control isn't awake yet. I did, on my survey, say that managers should be allowed to manage because they know their own workforce and areas but that's just a turd in the wind. No one will listen.

tieguy

Banned

Quality of people is usually a direct reflection on compensation. As the value of the job declines, the value of the people willing to do the work declines. As the company moves further toward industry standard compensation, the quality of people will continue to decline. PTers are already below industry standard and the quality is clearly reflective of the ever declining level of compensation.

to me the decline of the blue collar labor pool may be a bigger problem.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
My boss is cool !!!! I came to work & didn't hit anything or kill anyone or anything and he gave us all T-shirts !!! Thanks Boss !!!! : )

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
good for you Scratch !! I would love to take off tonite,but I just had vaca & will save them for Christmas !! Enjoy the day,hope its nice out for yah!!