Overmanagement

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
absolutely, lets get a good class warfare argument cranked up so we can all feel better about our positions in life. ....:)

My boss works for UPS and is a shareholder . I work for UPS and am a shareholder. He spends his days trying to get as much out of me as humanly possible for the good of the company. Why should I not expect the same?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
My boss works for UPS and is a shareholder . I work for UPS and am a shareholder. He spends his days trying to get as much out of me as humanly possible for the good of the company. Why should I not expect the same?

You think they don't try to get as much as humanly possible out of supervisors and managers?

There's some slackers on both sides, but chances are pretty good that if you work full time at this company, you work a lot harder, put up with a lot more crap and make more money than most normal people.

Despite the constant negativity, the overwhelming majority find the work load and conditions tolerable in exchange for the wages and benefits paid.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You think they don't try to get as much as humanly possible out of supervisors and managers?

There's some slackers on both sides, but chances are pretty good that if you work full time at this company, you work a lot harder, put up with a lot more crap and make more money than most normal people.

Despite the constant negativity, the overwhelming majority find the work load and conditions tolerable in exchange for the wages and benefits paid.

I do not disagree. Tie thinks people just are trying to rip mgmnt to make themselves feel better.

I like my boss too. I'm taking my third Option Day this week, I need to use them up!

I wouldn't just say this about anybody but my management team is kicking ass right now. Everybody is getting along hourlys are happy management is happy were working together and it's kind of creepy. It won't last forever but for some reason there letting my center manager run his center his way and he's doing a damm good job. Major props

As a Steward doesn't that make your life alot easier?
Brownmonster yes it does. As a steward though you know it won't last but riding it out can make for some easy weeks. Where I'm from we had a bad couple of years as alot of other brother & sisters can testify too. So yea it is a good feeling and very much appreciated. But January is right around the corner and if you have been around a little while you know what that means.

DS

Fenderbender
Y the overwhelming majority find the work load and conditions tolerable in exchange for the wages and benefits paid.
Sorry but I disagree.You don't get to see the other 40% of employees that are intimidated,harassed and disciplined for things that are forced on them.I wonder who was the person that decided that so and so would make a good manager, Either they got paid off,or they were drunk when they made the decision.

Brown to Brown

I watched a Feeder driver flip his back trailer while he was driving on the yard last year...he's in management now. And that's a no sh***ter!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As a Steward doesn't that make your life alot easier?

Brownmonster yes it does. As a steward though you know it won't last but riding it out can make for some easy weeks. Where I'm from we had a bad couple of years as alot of other brother & sisters can testify too. So yea it is a good feeling and very much appreciated. But January is right around the corner and if you have been around a little while you know what that means.

Not smart, nor true.
But at least you have your anonymity.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I do know that when a center team and the employees have a good working relationship the steward in my center gets bored.

It doesn't always have to be an us/them mentality.

Your right, I misread/interpreted the post.
I took it as him getting preferential treatment as a steward.
My apologies to you both.

Your right, I misread/interpreted the post.
I took it as him getting preferential treatment as a steward.
My apologies to you both.

There is know preferential treatment for 407 you should know that about me firsthand. All I'm saying is it's quiet and it makes me feel a little uneasy. The stuff I've been through you know what I'm talking about Bubblehead it's just a little creepy when it's like this. No apology needed bro your a good sorce and mentor and one BAD ASS STEWARD.

tieguy

Banned

being a stock holder does not make you management. If you wish to manage the boss then the path you must take is clear. Should be an easy decision for you since you think their job is so easy.
Well some of your posts seem to indicate you think their job is easy where in others you seem to acknowledge they have a tough job too?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Ideally, it's my job to make the next guy's job a little easier, whether it's the customer, the unloader, or the supervisor. In the case of management, it's to be safe and productive, to do the job I am supposed to do. No more and no less. That keeps their #s pretty and The Powers That Be off their backs. It is management's job to help me do my job in a productive and safe manner, provide me with a fair day's pay (PTs at UPS are NOT paid fairly), treat me with respect and not abuse the increased amount if power they do have in the company.
Unfortunately, integrity doesn't matter as much as it used to. That has rolled down from the highest levels. All the way back to the folks who decided to line their pockets with our incentives, our turkeys, and whatever other corners they can cut. Profits matter, and that's all that does! Goodbye Quality. Hello Big Box Delivery Company. A "good" manager/sup, one who will likely move on up, wrings everything he or she can from us. Their boss is doing the same to them, only they're more likely to be yelled and cussed at and have to do whatever they are told, no matter how rude or ridiculous, or lose their jobs.
The folks who sit behind computers crunching numbers or monitoring web sites like this one do not, cannot have a clue as to how nasty relations really are (they're fixing to get much nastier, folks). Either they were hired into tie-type positions or they handled packages for The Old UPS when honesty mattered.
Welcome to the new UPS, y'all. They heart logistics, not people. It's not how I want my company to be, but nobody asked me.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
Ideally, it's my job to make the next guy's job a little easier, whether it's the customer, the unloader, or the supervisor. In the case of management, it's to be safe and productive, to do the job I am supposed to do. No more and no less. That keeps their #s pretty and The Powers That Be off their backs. It is management's job to help me do my job in a productive and safe manner, provide me with a fair day's pay (PTs at UPS are NOT paid fairly), treat me with respect and not abuse the increased amount if power they do have in the company.
Unfortunately, integrity doesn't matter as much as it used to. That has rolled down from the highest levels. All the way back to the folks who decided to line their pockets with our incentives, our turkeys, and whatever other corners they can cut. Profits matter, and that's all that does! Goodbye Quality. Hello Big Box Delivery Company. A "good" manager/sup, one who will likely move on up, wrings everything he or she can from us. Their boss is doing the same to them, only they're more likely to be yelled and cussed at and have to do whatever they are told, no matter how rude or ridiculous, or lose their jobs.

The folks who sit behind computers crunching numbers or monitoring web sites like this one do not, cannot have a clue as to how nasty relations really are (they're fixing to get much nastier, folks). Either they were hired into tie-type positions or they handled packages for The Old UPS when honesty mattered.
Welcome to the new UPS, y'all. They heart logistics, not people. It's not how I want my company to be, but nobody asked me.
You,hubrat,somehow managed to capture everything I would like to have said if I was not a sup.
This is why I joined the browncafe .With all the negative posts about this not being the job for me,I feel better
knowing that a few of you agree with me.Your big box delivery company comment sums it up .
Integrity is being replaced with profitability.