Overtime - Is it worth it?

UPSGUY72

i despise my job, really, i hate everything about my job. my only goal when i punch in is to get the hell outta there asap. I also hate mandatory OT, my hatred for the job is why im a runner, My hours last week, .64 OT,,,6.30 production bonus,and 3.9 guarantee ,,except for peak i rarely have over a hr ot

You job can't be that bad if it was you would have quit. If it is that bad then your only doing it for the money which means why won't you want the OT.

It's people like you that destroy routes. When other drivers cover your route management wonders why it takes them so long. They say the regular driver can do the route in X number of hours what is your problem.

iruhnman630

Working 10, 11, or even 12 hours, while tiring, doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is working those hours starting at 9:00 and regularly getting home after 7:00, limiting our ability to maintain a healthy balance between work and personal life. Even with a 9.5 day, that is still close to 7:00 without taking your full 50 minutes of lunch.

code5

How does OT not benifit the driver? Drivers like OT to get ahead on bills, take great vacations, buy expensive toys (boats, motorcycles, RVS, etc), pay for the children education, ETC.

Here is the thing, if thats what you want, great-as long as you work for your overtime. Its the employees that don't want the OT but are forced into it that is the problem.

Honestly, I want the overtime during peak. I got a smile on my face the whole 12 hour shift, cuts down on the overall expense of Christmas. But, i drag my butt pretty good when the OT never stops.
I'm far from a lazy person, but OT creates burnout. Thats a fact.

It is nice to hear that not all UPSers are forced into overtime. Makes me think that its just our bad, greedy management. Maybe with some (hopefully) eventual changes their may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

After 17 years of being a driver, I still really like it but I want to live my life as well, even if it involves a bit less take home pay.

I once put in my letter of intent but couldn't get a management job early on in my career. I asked our district manager what I needed to do to be considered. He said further yourself with education or volenteer work. I did both, I am a coach for my sons soccer team and I took night classes to get my HR degree. That was when my shift was from 7 to approx. 5:30 p.m. Now my shift is from 9 to 8 to 9p.m. How would I further myself now - skip sleeping!

I'd rather slit my wrists then get into UPS management now I'm afraid, that would be a less painful death! lol

Brownsfan

If I run all day skip breaks and lunch I look amazing on paper but when I take my lunch and breaks and follow the methods I look like I'm stealing time. The only people who are stealing is management with there unrealistic dispatches. If they put up the routes correctly there would be alot less ot.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
You job can't be that bad if it was you would have quit. If it is that bad then your only doing it for the money which means why won't you want the OT.

It's people like you that destroy routes. When other drivers cover your route management wonders why it takes them so long. They say the regular driver can do the route in X number of hours what is your problem.
whats your logic there, the only people that stay at ups love it? , because everyone that hates it quits? most of the drivers i work with hate the job,,also when others cover my route, there are not expected to run bonus,, only scratch and 9/5

Last edited by a moderator:

packageguy

My center is going back to 9.5, they are breaking buddyS about over allowed. I just say I don't know what that is. whatever is on my truck gets delivered. Somedays better than others. If there is overtime theres overtime, period

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i despise my job, really, i hate everything about my job. my only goal when i punch in is to get the hell outta there asap. I also hate mandatory OT, my hatred for the job is why im a runner, My hours last week, .64 OT,,,6.30 production bonus,and 3.9 guarantee ,,except for peak i rarely have over a hr ot
Hellfire, thank you so much for your being honest. All except for the bolded part. Its not your hatred for the job, its that you want to do things your way and not follow the rules.

Ladies and gents, here is a prime example of why UPS puts 12 hours of work on a route. They know that you will work extra hard to get in 5 minutes earlier, or in HF's case, run like a lunatic and deliver 12 hours in 8.5.

Over my years, I have represented people like this many times at hearings. He cant be told what to do by anyone. This is also why HF hates everything about his job. And now that he has shown UPS what he can do, they will expect it from him in the future. Regardless of his health or age. So the real reason you hate everything about your job is because you (HF) have made it what it is.

But beyond that, it is cheaper for UPS to pay you $50 bucks an hour than to put another driver on road, by the time you add in the extra bennies paid to that driver and the cost of another vehicle on road. It was also common knowledge when you accepted the position, that overtime was a way of life at UPS. Always has been, always will be.

I never liked the time away from the family, but sometimes you have to make choices. You made yours, deal with it.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
hellfire,

This is such a shame.

Be careful.

Hatred is not good for the mind, body and soul.

Sincerely,
I

hellfire

Hellfire, thank you so much for your being honest. All except for the bolded part. Its not your hatred for the job, its that you want to do things your way and not follow the rules.

Ladies and gents, here is a prime example of why UPS puts 12 hours of work on a route. They know that you will work extra hard to get in 5 minutes earlier, or in HF's case, run like a lunatic and deliver 12 hours in 8.5.

Over my years, I have represented people like this many times at hearings. He cant be told what to do by anyone. This is also why HF hates everything about his job. And now that he has shown UPS what he can do, they will expect it from him in the future. Regardless of his health or age. So the real reason you hate everything about your job is because you (HF) have made it what it is.

But beyond that, it is cheaper for UPS to pay you $50 bucks an hour than to put another driver on road, by the time you add in the extra bennies paid to that driver and the cost of another vehicle on road. It was also common knowledge when you accepted the position, that overtime was a way of life at UPS. Always has been, always will be.

I never liked the time away from the family, but sometimes you have to make choices. You made yours, deal with it.

d
as usual your wrong,,,im dealing with it ,,just fine,, you see i know how to make the system work for me,, and believe me,, in 28 yrs i have never,, NEVER asked or needed the union for any help,, the job is ungodly easy for me,,i hate the job because i feel i no longer apply myself, ,not because of your silly bad management is out to get me nonsense,, there is no challenge,, just boring work with miserable hourly and management,, also ,, the most miserable people i know are the ones that work over 9/5 daily

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Wow, where to begin.
as usual your wrong,,,im dealing with it

I know, Im wrong. But if things were so good for you, why would you have to deal with it. You should be enjoying what you do. There were days as a driver that were hell, but over all, I enjoyed what I did.

,,just fine,, you see i know how to make the system work for me

Ah yes, the me and only me driver. You think you have learned to make the system work for you? How funny. The system is working you over.

,, and believe me,, in 28 yrs i have never,, NEVER asked or needed the union for any help,,

I do find that very hard to believe. But hey, this is what you post, I will take you at your word. Now, that being said, your word.......aw hell, not going there.

the job is ungodly easy for me,,i hate the job because i feel i no longer apply myself,

I am so glad that the job is so easy for you. But what you just posted is that you have developed yourself to the point where you think you are more important than your job. Your skills are far beyond the job you have before you. So you feel like you no longer have to apply yourself?

Two things. Its at times like this you will quite possibly have a life changing accident/injury. You also have not looked for ways to advance yourself. So who do you have to blame.

,not because of your silly bad management is out to get me nonsense,, there is no challenge,, just boring work with miserable hourly and management,,

Bad management out to get me crap? ITs people like you that take short cuts, run like hell all day, get your behind in trouble and come running to the steward for help. Has nothing to do with bad management, and everything to do with bad driver.

Also, you are forgetting, being a UPS driver is about teamwork. I know you can read. Where do you find that I you keep talking about???

also ,, the most miserable people i know are the ones that work over 9/5 daily

LOL, you looked in the mirror lately? 3000+ drivers access this site. And very few have ever posted what you have in regards to hating their jobs.

So who is really the most miserable?

d

rod

Retired 22 years
Overtime is only worth it if you have a loving spouse who lets you buy some toys with it. (they get toys also) If you have to rely on overtime just to pay your bills you have went about it all wrong.

Packmule

Since the question is "is it worth it" my answer is only in very small amounts. Once you start going over about 4 to 5 hours in the week, the rest seems to generate very little in the net take home. Seems like you are making about $5 bucks and hour after that 'cause the rest gets pulled out in taxes. And unless you have kids, it is not likely you will ever see much of a refund again. Not that UPS ever asks, but my vote is for living within my means, limited overtime and the freedom to spend more evening time with my wife and family.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Try working in southern california where our drivers are making 100k in package. I made 107K last year. Thank you very much package division manager.

I made this in OVERTIME vs straight time pay. Here the average paid day can run as high as 1145 everyday. NOT PLANNED day, PAID DAY.

The hours worked by our drivers are hurting them and hurting the company, but someone with a tie on his chest feels this extra money paid out is "saving" the company money somewhere down the line.

Do the math.

If the company ran one more car per day with a rookie driver making 15 bucks an hour for 8 hours, that would equal 120 bucks a day gross.

Instead, they cut 10 to 15 cars per day, run us close to 930pm at 47.15 an hour. Then, since we cant finish at a decent hour, they have to send out other drivers from other areas to come and split work. Now, overtime starts at 5PM and if we dont punch out until 915pm, thats 4 hours of OT or 188 bucks each driver. Now multiply that by one person for every 4 cars out. 70 man center = 17.5 trucks= $3290.00 for the day.

Now take the 120 bucks and multiply by 15 and that equals =1800.00. Where did IE save the company money? Surely not in benefits, those are guaranteed.

Surely not in hours, surely not in paid out money and surely not in FUEL SAVINGS.

Some genious believes every morning that he is "Saving" the company money by doing this and we laugh all the way to the atm to deposit the checks.

Overtime is hurting UPS, but they are too stupid to see it.

Peace.

over9five

Staff member
Try working in southern california where our drivers are making 100k in package. I made 107K last year. Thank you very much package division manager.

I made this in OVERTIME vs straight time pay. Here the average paid day can run as high as 1145 everyday. NOT PLANNED day, PAID DAY.

The hours worked by our drivers are hurting them and hurting the company, but someone with a tie on his chest feels this extra money paid out is "saving" the company money somewhere down the line.

Do the math.

If the company ran one more car per day with a rookie driver making 15 bucks an hour for 8 hours, that would equal 120 bucks a day gross.

Instead, they cut 10 to 15 cars per day, run us close to 930pm at 47.15 an hour. Then, since we cant finish at a decent hour, they have to send out other drivers from other areas to come and split work. Now, overtime starts at 5PM and if we dont punch out until 915pm, thats 4 hours of OT or 188 bucks each driver. Now multiply that by one person for every 4 cars out. 70 man center = 17.5 trucks= $3290.00 for the day.

Now take the 120 bucks and multiply by 15 and that equals =1800.00. Where did IE save the company money? Surely not in benefits, those are guaranteed.

Surely not in hours, surely not in paid out money and surely not in FUEL SAVINGS.

Some genious believes every morning that he is "Saving" the company money by doing this and we laugh all the way to the atm to deposit the checks.

Overtime is hurting UPS, but they are too stupid to see it.

Peace.
Working so much, how do you have so much time to watch Fox??? Sirius?

hellfire

Wow, where to begin.

LOL, you looked in the mirror lately? 3000+ drivers access this site. And very few have ever posted what you have in regards to hating their jobs.

So who is really the most miserable?

d
the drivers i see and work with everyday,, you know , the real world,,i love the old "you keep working like that your gonna hurt youself, or make a mistake and then you will need the union,, and that will show you, teach you a lesson......its that same old crutch people like you depend on ,,,that it has not happened in 28 yrs i think my odds are pretty good now

A

anonymous6

I have no use for overtime. Eight hours a day is enough.
IMHO overtime should be given to people who ask for it, not rammed down your throat if you don't want it.

agree

spoke to district manager in sacramento several years ago and she explained to me that it is cost effective to have 2 people work 60 hrs a week rather than 3 working 40 .

workmans cost, SS, benefits, etc , etc....... beans, always counting the beans.

I asked her about the long range repercussions of employee fatigue, i.e. accidents, injuries, etc of long hrs.........

her answer." it has all been factored in "