Overtime question

Southwestern

we get paid overtime for anything after 5 hours and that's including double shifts. so if u work 4 hours during the twilight sort and plus another 4 hours during the preload u would get 8 hours total, 5 hours of that would be at your regular pay the other 3 hours would be overtime.

i do not believe you would get the overtime if you did driver helper plus a regular shift though. driver helper would also be paid at a different pay rate.

It varies by region.

In the Central States, when working doubles, OT is paid after 5 hours each day. OT for jumping is paid after 40 hours per week, minus any OT hours paid for inside shifts (per contract, it's not pyramid). Assuming one worked inside each day for at least 5 hours, then OT would be paid after 15 jumping hours. When I worked P/T and jumped, I always earned a few bucks for "OT OTHER" those pay period. Not certain where it comes from. Of course, UPS's payroll system is imperfect and you're frequently paid OT for jumping after a combined 8 hours per day.

Kae3106

You will get overtime after 40 hours worked in a week. There are reports run in Payroll to identify any employees with more than 40 straight time hours in a week so they can be manually fixed if the payroll system didn't pay the overtime automatically. The system gets a little confused during peak when people are working double and triple shifts so the Payroll groups make sure they run these extra reports.

California is the most employee friendly state in the country and their overtime laws are a little more generous than the federal laws.

Scuderia

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll file a grievance at the end of the year, since I'm sure they're going to want me to double shift again this week. The thing is in my hub everyone is under the impression that you only get overtime for working 8+ hours in a day. So if the steward gives the same story, I'll guess I'll have to do it through the state.

I wish my hub would just follow the law, it's not so hard. The district I work for has already settled TWO claims for making us work more than six hours without a lunch. California laws says that employers have to prove a meal period between the 4th and 5th hour of work, unless the shift will be over in less than 6 hours. And when a timely lunch period isn't given the employer is to pay the employees an extra hour for free. Still, in my hub they don't give us a lunch at all on 6-7 hour days, and when they do, it's way after the 5th hour. Of course, when I look at the payroll report it says we got a lunch at exactly the 5 hour mark. I guess the district manager is just dying to settle a third multi million dollar claim.

It's a similar deal with the paid breaks. We're supposed to receive 10 mins for every 4 hours worked, or an extra hour for free when these breaks are not provided. Still, we only get one 15 min break for an 8+ hour day.

I can file claims with the state for those free hours that are owed to me, but that would just put a target on my back, and they would be like vultures after me looking for reasons to discharge me. The baffling part is that in hub nobody I've talked to about this has a clue about what the law says, and they don't even seem to care. Oh well at least I've gotten two very nice checks from the settlements.