Overtime

hyena

I read in the contract that if you come in before your scheduled start time then you receive time and a half for all hours worked up untill start time. So what happens if you work seven hours. Any thing over five is overtime. Do you receive time and a half untill your scheduled start time and any thing over 5? Or is this what they call pyramiding?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you being asked to report early? If so, your start time would be adjusted and overtime would kick in after 5 hours, not before. However, if you are coming in early on your own, you will not get paid until your actual start time.

hyena

Article 12 section 2 of the central region supplemental agreement

Any employee may be required to report to work before his/her regular starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate of one and one half (1 1/2) times his/her regular straight-time hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time in addition to the employee's regular guarantee.

So if I worked seven hours and my original start time is 5:00 and I come in at 3:30 then that would be one and a half hours of overtime up untill 5:00. Then anything over 5 hrs is overtime so wouldnt you count anything past 8:30 as overtime as well? Which would give me two more hours of overtime. Being that I got off at 10:30?
However im told that you cant pyramid by another employee, so hes saying I cant count the hour and a half that I came in early so in which case I still see it as me being entilted to a additional half hour of overtime.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You would get ot for the hours before your scheduled start time. You than would work your regular 5 hours at straight time and anything over 5 would again become ot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok cool thats what I thought it shall be grieved!

Do yourself and your mgt team a favor--give them the opportunity to correct the error before you grieve it. You have every right to grieve and I am not opposing it but I always like to give my mgt team the chance to take care of things before going to the next level.

hyena

I had already talked to them about it last week and I told them to make sure my pay was right. My manager told me he took care of it yet my paycheck said otherwise.

raceanoncr

I had already talked to them about it last week and I told them to make sure my pay was right. My manager told me he took care of it yet my paycheck said otherwise.

Then you now get penalty pay in addition to your lost time and a half!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Penalty pay kicks in if the error in your paycheck is not corrected in a timely manner (I apologize for not knowing the exact time frame, but I believe they have one week to correct the error).

raceanoncr

Art 17 Paid for Time

In short, it says that shortages more than $15 for p/ters will be made on second working day after shortage is reported. If not and Employers fault, it will be now at 1 1/2 times for every pay period it is not corrected. Don't have time to quote word for word here but look it up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
National Master
Paid for Time​
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer.
Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time
that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively
released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving
federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the
Employer.
The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate
compensation.
Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the
workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer
will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or
Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and
fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made
available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after
reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second
scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an
additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for
every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2​
nd) scheduled work day, until
corrected.
Errors of less than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees or fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time
employees and overages will be corrected in the following weekly paycheck.

Any grievance settlement not paid within ten (10) working days of the settlement shall entitle the
grievant (s) to a penalty payment as outlined above. The ten (10) working day period shall begin
to run when the Labor Department representative agrees to the settlement, or is notified by the
Union or management team of the settlement. The Employer shall pay a maximum of one penalty
payment for a multi-grievant grievance, which shall be subject to the additional penalties set forth
above for untimely payment, until corrected.
When an employee notifies the Employer in writing of any ongoing overpayment, the employee’s
increasing liability will cease five (5) working days after the date of the written notification. The
notification shall be provided to the employee’s immediate supervisor or manager.
All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation.
Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with
the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the
week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her
pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/her check upon request, but
will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day.​
All green checks will be taxed at the employee’s regular withholding tax rate.
Paycheck stubs will show the year-to-date vacation, sick and personal leave balances​