Overtime

Rholly

I thought that peak was over 2 months ago! We are working more overtime now than we did in Nov/Dec. There is no end in sight. 60 plus hours a week. People are calling in sick just to get time with their families.
Is this happening everywhere or is our management team just screwing us to get bonuses???

Indecisi0n

That's the problem, I am in feeders 9.5 doesn't apply. Safety doesn't even matter. We have been averaging 1 accident a week.

Just don't be that person. As I get fatigued I go slower and slower. If I am dispatched 14 hrs of work, I work at a pace that will safely get me through 14 hours.

Rholly

Just wondering, We do pay union dues. We all pay union dues. People fought and died for a 40 hour work week and the Teamsters were instrumental in that fight! Just wondering where are those Teamsters now??? BTW I have been a Teamster for over 28 years...

Indecisi0n

Why don't you direct your angry at the person that deserves it, THE COMPANY. They are the ones forcing you to work not the union. Don't like what the union is doing then quit and go somewhere else. You been here 28 years? Guess what you have had the easiest 28 years that any UPSer will ever have. I have another 20 of this working until 9-10 at night so if someone has a right to bitch its me. Now get back in the truck or stay home.

over9five

Staff member
That's the problem, I am in feeders 9.5 doesn't apply. Safety doesn't even matter. We have been averaging 1 accident a week.
In Feeders, it most certainly IS safety first. If it isn't where you are, you guys have no right getting behind the wheel.
Safety is first ALWAYS. It comes before whatever crap your management team is telling you, it comes before any pull or arrival times, it comes before you drive when you need a nap.
Get your priorities in order.

Indecisi0n

My rant may have come off a littler harsh. Don't mean to offend. Maybe you don't have others to complain to. No offence meant.

Overpaid Union Thug

Each and every driver in centers that are getting so much damn OT need to simply slow down (if they aren't already) and concentrate on following as many methods as they can remember and take every second of their breaks and within the time frames they are supposed to be taken. If this can be accomplished then the amount of missed pieces and late air the center manager has to answer for every day will force the hand of those in management that are responsible for this mess.

upschuck

Here, people go into feeders wanting the OT, and the runs that run up close to 60 are the more coveted ones. The ones that have slightly over 40 hrs are the younger guys.

Rholly

In Feeders, it most certainly IS safety first. If it isn't where you are, you guys have no right getting behind the wheel.
Safety is first ALWAYS. It comes before whatever crap your management team is telling you, it comes before any pull or arrival times, it comes before you drive when you need a nap.
Get your priorities in order.
Of course I think it matters that's why I am saying something! I have 21 years and 3 months safe driving. The company that puts us in harms way doesn't think it matters. Go to the CDC website and look up Fatigue and Overtime in the Work Place. Every time that you go over 8 hours you are putting yourself at risk. This is what study after study says. Like I said we are averaging 1 accident a week. The fix is easy hire more people...

Rholly

Here, people go into feeders wanting the OT, and the runs that run up close to 60 are the more coveted ones. The ones that have slightly over 40 hrs are the younger guys.
It is both young and old. The problem comes. you get back from a 10.5 hr run and they force you to go and do a pick up. Unlike package we can't refuse to go back out when we are back to the buiding.

upschuck

It is both young and old. The problem comes. you get back from a 10.5 hr run and they force you to go and do a pick up. Unlike package we can't refuse to go back out when we are back to the buiding.

Here, they know that going in, so it is what it is.

Indecisi0n

Can you have it documented with a steward present that you are fatigued and feel that you going on the road in your current state is not only a risk to your safety but also the general publics safety?

Rholly

Can you have it documented with a steward present that you are fatigued and feel that you going on the road in your current state is not only a risk to your safety but also the general publics safety?
I have, was sent home. no big deal. Except that I lost a day of pay. I don't need to work 60 plus hours a week. The job I bid says 8.5 on paper. That's why I took it. My BA says that there is nothing that I can do. There is also a quality of life issue. There is more to my life than work and sleep.