Overweights or Incompatibles

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I would think Granny gear would get you up the hill.
The person on the route before me had a 700, it was high enough to make the grade without running aground but the truck's transmission wouldn't make it up the driveway. This is according to the previous driver, since then I upgraded to an 800 because I wanted the extra room and had no intention of driving on driveways like those, so much can go wrong under different circumstances. As a matter of fact on the second house I know for a fact a Fed Ex truck went over the side of the driveway and it took two tow trucks to get it out. Its hard to see but where the driveway curls off on the right its a straight drop down, according to the homeowner, his left side went over and only a tree saved him from flipping. Apparently his truck was having issues going up and he gunned it, misjudged I suppose.

rod

Retired 22 years
The person on the route before me had a 700, it was high enough to make the grade without running aground but the truck's transmission wouldn't make it up the driveway. This is according to the previous driver, since then I upgraded to an 800 because I wanted the extra room and had no intention of driving on driveways like those, so much can go wrong under different circumstances. As a matter of fact on the second house I know for a fact a Fed Ex truck went over the side of the driveway and it took two tow trucks to get it out. Its hard to see but where the driveway curls off on the right its a straight drop down, according to the homeowner, his left side went over and only a tree saved him from flipping. Apparently his truck was having issues going up and he gunned it, misjudged I suppose.

Sounds like a good one to stay out of. My next question would be--why pray tell-- would someone want a larger truck. Don't you realize UPS likes fill trucks. When I was issued a brand new P700 to replace my old worn out P800 I NEVER once complained about not having enough room. I stuffed that puppy from floor to ceiling and front to back. Some days I even had a cab full--- but eventually they took a couple of bulk stops off and that made me the winner.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sounds like a good one to stay out of. My next question would be--why pray tell-- would someone want a larger truck. Don't you realize UPS likes fill trucks. When I was issued a brand new P700 to replace my old worn out P800 I NEVER once complained about not having enough room. I stuffed that puppy from floor to ceiling and front to back. Some days I even had a cab full--- but eventually they took a couple of bulk stops off and that made me the winner.
I wanted the larger truck just to have space to work and it's one of the unleaded get up and go trucks. The one the previous driver had was a diesel that they had while on the route. It happened that they wanted to keep their truck and I wanted the truck on the route they were going to. I was able to snag a 20k mile used unleaded 800 Freightliner. Kept it looking like new ever since it's been on this route, stop count has stayed the same unless I ask for more work. It's primarily a resi route that doesn't get blown out, just allows more space when it does get heavy.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I wanted the larger truck just to have space to work and it's one of the unleaded get up and go trucks. The one the previous driver had was a diesel that they had while on the route. It happened that they wanted to keep their truck and I wanted the truck one the route they were going to. I was able to snag a 20k mile used unleaded 800 Freightliner. Kept it looking like new ever since it's been on this route, stop count has stayed the same unless I ask for more work. It's primarily a resi route that doesn't get blown out, just allows more space when it does get heavy.

glad it all works for you.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I wanted the larger truck just to have space to work and it's one of the unleaded get up and go trucks. The one the previous driver had was a diesel that they had while on the route. It happened that they wanted to keep their truck and I wanted the truck on the route they were going to. I was able to snag a 20k mile used unleaded 800 Freightliner. Kept it looking like new ever since it's been on this route, stop count has stayed the same unless I ask for more work. It's primarily a resi route that doesn't get blown out, just allows more space when it does get heavy.

My truck goes down to 1st gear. Doesn't your truck have lower gears? I think I'd get a different truck. On overweight boxes. You can have many different injuries. Especially on those long driveways

S

selfcancelsignal

I'm hoping I'll get a gas 800 at some point. Huh. Sort of want to try to preserve what hearing I have left.

S

selfcancelsignal

About 8', was one of those tightly curled up PB ones with the thick plastic. The one I had needed help on was at a house I've posted pics of before. It was a TV cabinet weighing about 130ish I think, I'll post a pic of that house in a sec.
View attachment 71652
View attachment 71653
Didn't have any from winter, pulled these up from when I first got on the route.
This is at least floor 3 for time allowance purposes, right, Jack?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't believe that for one second. I've went up much steeper
Like I said in later post, the previous driver had a different truck than I do, they couldn't make it up those driveways. Since I don't have that truck I can't test it for myself as mine would get hung up on the tail trying to clear the grade. I'm going by what this person said, considering they openly drive up any driveway they could, I believe them, why else would they tell me?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My truck goes down to 1st gear. Doesn't your truck have lower gears? I think I'd get a different truck. On overweight boxes. You can have many different injuries. Especially on those long driveways
Yes, mine does, but like I said, I'm in a different truck than that person was, my physically can't go up due to the back end would get hung. I'm going by what that previous driver told me, they try to drive every driveway if possible.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes, mine does, but like I said, I'm in a different truck than that person was, my physically can't go up due to the back end would get hung. I'm going by what that previous driver told me, they try to drive every driveway if possible.
The steepest sharpest drives I've ever been up were in a new 800

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

I have 2 driveways that are dirt. I just can't climb. In 1st gear. Both customers know this. I leave either in their box they bought or built.. if Its too big it is left on the side. It is totally your call.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The steepest sharpest drives I've ever been up were in a new 800
image.jpeg

I suppose you'd have me run aground here as opposed to walking it up?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
View attachment 71728
I suppose you'd have me run aground here as opposed to walking it up?
At the right angle you could pull in to that. Leaving at the wrong angle would scrap a little and yeah with those pavers I'm not sure I would risk that but as a cover driver zero chance I'd walk that off either. Who knows might be a mean dog waiting for me up there.

underworked1

I would think Granny gear would get you up the hill.
Looks like no where to turn an 800 around from the pics. I don't usually go in driveways either. Unless it's some of the ones that are 200 yards plus. Or if I'm not sure they have a dog. Almost got my ass eaten by a great Dane once

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Leverage and gravity are your friends.

With a long rolled up rug, you can bungee one end to the hand truck, and drive it from the free end.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Had a 123lb rug I had to deliver up here today, was almost ready to call for help. Only had to call one time in the 15 years I've been driving but made it up there with it on my shoulder. Just so happens the only other time was to a house on this same route, different area though. When I tell folks I don't drive up driveways I mean it. Not that I could in either example anyways.
View attachment 71632
Looking down
View attachment 71635
That's outside your power zone.