Overwhelming

U

uber

First day out with my on-road sup and its overwhelming. Diad is a bitch to figure out.

Finding out when to go off trace and do pickups is hard, too.

I hope the 2nd day is a lot easier.....

71Fish

I hear ya. Today was my second day out. The Sup said I was doing better than I thought I was. Didn't feel like it. I'm supposed to do half the day alone thursday then all alone friday. Good luck to you.

UPSGUY72

One stop at a time. Don't worry it's gets easier with time. However your learning curve is going to be a steep one with peak starting soon.

I completed day 2 of orientation today. My supervisor has said to me that the first week he will ride with me and I will only have to do around 90 stops a day. Did you have to do a written exam at end of orientation and pass with 90%?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I remember being very overwhelmed also but now the job seems so very very simple. Hang in there you'll get the hang of it. Every once in awhile someone just never gets the hang of it really doesn't happen too often though.

DS

Fenderbender
It's a bit like a poker game,every day is a new hand.
Just try to keep your cool,and keep the one stop at a time thing in your mind.
Try not to go off trace to do pickups,save deliveries on that street,and bang them
off while you're there.Sometimes the deck is stacked,and you may have to call
for help.It's normal.Stay calm,explain that you still have 100 stops left and 40 pickups to do.
Hopefully they will send help,otherwise,work 11.99 hrs, Scan all undelivered as missed.and punch out.
Sleep 8 hrs and do it again.

U

uber

I completed day 2 of orientation today. My supervisor has said to me that the first week he will ride with me and I will only have to do around 90 stops a day. Did you have to do a written exam at end of orientation and pass with 90%?

Yeah, passed that last week. What part of the country are you in?

menotyou

bella amicizia
First day out with my on-road sup and its overwhelming. Diad is a bitch to figure out.

After a few days, it starts to click. Don't worry. It's very overwhelming, at first. Try and work Sat. air. I learned the daid that way. They didn't teach it when I was training.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Look at it this way. The first day, every stop and street is new. On day two, every business that you wasted time at figuring where to deliver and who to sign for on day one will be familiar...and you wont waste that time. It will build a little confidence with every stop. Just make sure above anything else to maintain safety with yourself and your truck.

And, as has been said, keep the one stop at a time attitude and it really will unload itself (with a little help from you of course) Wow, I sounded like a early 90's sup after i'd been given a poorly xerox'd map of a new out of town route....without the help of even a scrambled edd to figure out stop 1.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm still overwhelmed some days even after 23 years. The truck will be empty eventually. Just give up having plans at night.

I never have plans at night. It's almost the same between midnight shifts and drivers in that respect. We just don't have to wake up in the morning, nor do we get the long hours and paychecks to match.

Almost a fair trade off I think.

BlackCat

The biggest obstacle you face right now is having a on car supe with you. The vast majority of the supes I have encountered in the last 15 years were driver rejects that couldnt handle or perform the daily duties as a driver. Once you ditch the supe you will be able to learn for yourself and the process will go much easier.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

It can be overwhelming. It won't be just day one or two, it'll probably be months of it. Especially starting just before peak. One stop at a time. I know there have been others that have said the same thing but you need to drill it. Keep a steady pace and take your breaks and lunch. You need to let your brain rest throughout the day. It really does help. I know you'll think that you don't have time for it but it's important. First off, to not let them get the idea that they can push you but most importantly because it helps to keep from fighting yourself (like taking one step forward and two steps back). I had a sup tell me once, make a plan and stick with it. Don't 2nd guess. This is what I mean about fighting yourself. Once you gain the area knowledge it's easier to make decisions on the fly. Learn the diad, learn the area. It took me a good 2 years to be REALLY proficient at delivering. Proficient in beating a rte. Proficient in making decisions on the fly, knowing the shortcuts (of the area, not the job). It takes time. ONE STEP AT A TIME: ONE STOP AT A TIME

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Alot of people may frown on this,,but if you want the job,and want to feel more comfortable on it,,spend a few hours on Sat or Sunday and drive around the rte on your time to get a grasp of the area!! you will feel more confidant come monday ! Area knowledge is key !
memorize certiian adresses that constantly get stuff,and the surrounding house or business # s will come easier !
Good luck,,don't panic !!
But most of all be safe !!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Don't ever let an inanimate object (such as a package) get the best of you. They're only cardboard, and they'll all get delivered eventually. One stop at a time is the best you can do.

rod

Retired 22 years
It WILL get easier------------------but keep in mind that you will never be "fast enough" in their eyes. Work safe-work smart. You are not signing up fo an 8 to 5 job (make sure your spouce, girlfriend, parents or what ever the case may be know that) so get used to the idea that you will be working late ----------------------------------------and getting big checks on Friday.