P/T sup to Driver

mercury7

I was a PT sup for 4 years before driving. I've been driving for 10 years now and never looked back.

One thing that helped me get a FT driving position was telling management that I wanted to move up into upper management and that driving would be a good experience for me. I went seasonal driving 4 times within 3 buildings and once a permanent spot became available, 6-1 ratio as said before. I jumped all over it.

I did not have pay any back union dues.

-They do hold you to a higher standard.
-I wouldn't recommend quitting and trying to start over as a union employee. UPS will not rehire Management as a union employee. And you would also have to get rehire status, which could be tricky.
- And the signing up for full time sup position is no good either. They do NOT require you to go driving.

Bottom line is you are at the mercy of your current managment. If they don't want to lose you, your not going anywhere. As stated above, once you go management you lose the right to go driving. But it is still very possible.
There have been people that quit and come back just to be an hourly again.

mercury7

Really sad for these sups that have put in their time and are not allowed to move forward. This whole new thing in my facility about requiring a PT sup to have an associates degree to drive is wrong. If they had their degree they wouldn't need to go drive

Last edited:

mercury7

I was always told that driving was done on merit. I was the crappiest pt sup ever. It took 5 years and I quit twice. At the time you needed to put in a letter of interest and as others have stated there is a 6 to 1 ratio. (Not sure if that is 6 attempts or 6 filled spots). But you are also competing with a transfer or peak hire for that one spot.
I've heard yay and nay on the letter of interest. I think it can only help.

TheFigurehead

Really sad for these sups that have put in their time and are not allowed to move forward.

Welcome to UPS. You decided, at some point, that the extra couple dollars an hour then was worth more than being a part of the union / workforce. This is the end result of your greed. Anyone who works at UPS long enough to complete their probation knows, full well, what management is all about. Had you asked any of your coworkers who had more seniority than you what the deal is when you throw in with the polo-shirt-fascists, they would have told you. You drank the Kool-Aid... and went back for seconds... and now you see why it was a bad idea...

and let's be honest... with all the lying, "motivational techniques", and BS sups throw around on a daily basis (yourself included, I assume), why would you think your supervisors would be any more honest with you?

This whole new thing in my facility about requiring a PT sup to have an associates degree to drive is wrong. If they had their degree they wouldn't need to go drive

An associates degree, more often than not, is not worth a dime. If you don't have a bachelor's degree, you may as well have a HS diploma. By and large, it's not going to help you earn any more money (trade school aside).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah I've never heard anyone speak of back union dues. There's a lot of fluff on here. There's not even a union person that comes to the orientation in my facility.

Depending upon the union local, if you do not request a withdrawal card when you leave and then come back to a union job, you may or may not have to pay back dues.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Really sad for these sups that have put in their time and are not allowed to move forward. This whole new thing in my facility about requiring a PT sup to have an associates degree to drive is wrong. If they had their degree they wouldn't need to go drive
Don't go into management. You drank the kool aid simple as that. Grass isn't always greener my man. No pt sup has a right to a driving position. Anyone told differently was lied to.

mercury7

Welcome to UPS. You decided, at some point, that the extra couple dollars an hour then was worth more than being a part of the union / workforce. This is the end result of your greed. Anyone who works at UPS long enough to complete their probation knows, full well, what management is all about. Had you asked any of your coworkers who had more seniority than you what the deal is when you throw in with the polo-shirt-fascists, they would have told you. You drank the Kool-Aid... and went back for seconds... and now you see why it was a bad idea...

and let's be honest... with all the lying, "motivational techniques", and BS sups throw around on a daily basis (yourself included, I assume), why would you think your supervisors would be any more honest with you?

An associates degree, more often than not, is not worth a dime. If you don't have a bachelor's degree, you may as well have a HS diploma. By and large, it's not going to help you earn any more money (trade school aside).[/
I have a degree and graduated magna cum laude.

Yes I know several drivers with degrees.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Have you actually seen this rule in writing or is this something your center manager just told you? Smells like BS to me....

RolloTony Brown Town

It's total bs. Pt supervisors becoming drivers have to be one thing more than anything, any skill, any accomplishment. You have to be lucky. There are no requirements except with which the ones that THEY made and control. If your DM and center manager allow it and like you, then they'll let you go. They will make you jump through every and any hoop they please. Do it or it's not gonna happen. Most problems with pt sups going anywhere is the lack of a voice. The squeaky wheel gets oiled.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

Your management team probably wants you to have one because they think you would go into FT management after. We've had our best OMS get passed over because he didn't have a college degree.

It's total bs. Pt supervisors becoming drivers have to be one thing more than anything, any skill, any accomplishment. You have to be lucky. There are no requirements except with which the ones that THEY made and control. If your DM and center manager allow it and like you, then they'll let you go. They will make you jump through every and any hoop they please. Do it or it's not gonna happen. Most problems with pt sups going anywhere is the lack of a voice. The squeaky wheel gets oiled.

Sent using BrownCafe App
We need a pt sup union.

Island

The pt sups in my center all want to drive but their bosses have only hired a few as drivers. They all complain about how they're treated and their raises suck and some of them don't get raises at all and their benefits keep getting cut etc. etc.
I tune them out and when they finally ask me if I sympathize, I say they made a stupid decision to wear the radio and they're going to have to live with it. All the pt sups are bsers, all of them can lie and make excuses beside the center management all day long and then claim they're not the same. When I see a center manager I see a slightly older and slightly more morbidly obese pt sup.
Anyway some of the pt sups really got tricked. The local here doesn't communicate at all and just one or two of us telling a new hire to run with the pack is not enough when everyone in the center is telling them, "Join me, and we will rule the galaxy as father and son," while extending that black-gloved robotic hand...

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Depending upon the union local, if you do not request a withdrawal card when you leave and then come back to a union job, you may or may not have to pay back dues.

I worked 3 years part time as a sorter. Then I became a sup for the next 3 years. When I went driving, the BA said because I never got my withdrawal card, I had to pay 3 years worth of dues if I wanted to keep my hire date for seniority purposes. If I didn't , then I'd have to repay initiation fees again.

I was charged the dues at my former part time rate and never looked back. Cheaper than paying initiation fees again. That's how it was done in my local and I wasn't going to argue with them about it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Island

Heffernan I don't have any language in my supplement that says anything about a rehire able to keep his seniority if he pays backdues - I assume this is an article in yours?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I worked 3 years part time as a sorter. Then I became a sup for the next 3 years. When I went driving, the BA said because I never got my withdrawal card, I had to pay 3 years worth of dues if I wanted to keep my hire date for seniority purposes. If I didn't , then I'd have to repay initiation fees again.

I was charged the dues at my former part time rate and never looked back. Cheaper than paying initiation fees again. That's how it was done in my local and I wasn't going to argue with them about it.

Sent using BrownCafe App
three years of PT back dues was cheaper than an initiation fee? Wow, how much is the fee?