p/t supe pay and pros/cons

pkg handler

Ok so I sent in my letter 2 fridays ago and no word ? So I go see hr and talk to them to see if its on file . She ask when was it sent in I say friday she says that may have been too soon , then I said no it was 2 fridays ago . She said o it doesn't have you on file at all . So I'm feelin a little heated and go see the friend.t sup and ask him and told him what hr told me and he gets kinda aggravated and basicly tells me to leave ( all happened after I punched out ).......?

RFDUpsSup

RFD Hub OUtbound Sup.
The experience of being a part time supervisor is going to be vastly different depending on the area of the country you are in, the particular sort you're going to be working, the area you're going to be working and so on.​

I've been a part-time supervisor for over 18months now, and I'd have to say that its worth it. I'm not sure if this goes for every building, but in my building the hourlies get maybe 15hrs a week on the night sort and part-time supervisors aren't allowed to go over 27.5 hrs or we start getting premium pay (additional money on the check). The exception of course is peak when double shifting and higher volume dictate work hours.

And the pay isn't that bad. I clear over 1200 after taxes, stock purchase, insurance etc per month. And you get a raise every year that's anywhere from 1-5% depending on various factors.​

I worked in an Administrative role for the first 17 months of being a supervisor (Training for a 5month stay and then Radio Room for the next 12) so I'm still getting a feel for the operation, but the level of stress you're going to incur is very dependent on what you're doing. The area I'm in is technically a 2nd Wave belt for my building, but it's the first 2nd wave pull so around 2am I get kind of hectic.​

And as for the "you'll never get recognized" bit, I'd disagree. Even our building manager takes the time to give supervisors encouragement when they've successfully worked through a very harsh night. I don't think you can get any more recognition than the building manager telling you that you did a good job dealing with a bad situation.

Also, it depends on the quality of your Hourlies. If you get high quality, dedicated and mature employees, you're going to have it alot easier on a heavy area than people with poor employees have in a light area.​

And you might want to ask (if you haven't already) where the supervisor wants to go so that he/she needs a replacement. If they're quiting outright, it might be a bad idea. But if they're looking to go up or expand to a new area then it probably isnt bad.​

Personally, I'm just waiting a few months to get some operations experience and I'm putting in my LoI for Full-time. I like my job and I plan on sticking around.​

pkg handler

The experience of being a part time supervisor is going to be vastly different depending on the area of the country you are in, the particular sort you're going to be working, the area you're going to be working and so on.​

I've been a part-time supervisor for over 18months now, and I'd have to say that its worth it. I'm not sure if this goes for every building, but in my building the hourlies get maybe 15hrs a week on the night sort and part-time supervisors aren't allowed to go over 27.5 hrs or we start getting premium pay (additional money on the check). The exception of course is peak when double shifting and higher volume dictate work hours.​

And the pay isn't that bad. I clear over 1200 after taxes, stock purchase, insurance etc per month. And you get a raise every year that's anywhere from 1-5% depending on various factors.​

I worked in an Administrative role for the first 17 months of being a supervisor (Training for a 5month stay and then Radio Room for the next 12) so I'm still getting a feel for the operation, but the level of stress you're going to incur is very dependent on what you're doing. The area I'm in is technically a 2nd Wave belt for my building, but it's the first 2nd wave pull so around 2am I get kind of hectic.​

And as for the "you'll never get recognized" bit, I'd disagree. Even our building manager takes the time to give supervisors encouragement when they've successfully worked through a very harsh night. I don't think you can get any more recognition than the building manager telling you that you did a good job dealing with a bad situation.

Also, it depends on the quality of your Hourlies. If you get high quality, dedicated and mature employees, you're going to have it alot easier on a heavy area than people with poor employees have in a light area.​

And you might want to ask (if you haven't already) where the supervisor wants to go so that he/she needs a replacement. If they're quiting outright, it might be a bad idea. But if they're looking to go up or expand to a new area then it probably isnt bad.​

Personally, I'm just waiting a few months to get some operations experience and I'm putting in my LoI for Full-time. I like my job and I plan on sticking around.​

well ting is the whole situation now seems shady .. maybe he was having a rough day or was annoyed that i went to h.r to check up on it to see how the process was going .. hes said for me to allow him to handle it .. hes a good guy .. I mean were good friends actually but my letter isnt on file at h.r and it usually take 1-2 days i was told now its been about 10 days since ... he did inquire that he wanted me as one of his supervisors .. so maybe hes waiting for a spot to open on his belts or another supe is progressing or leaving...im gonna lay low and let it take its progress for nat least another month then if no word or progress proceed with it differently then

UPS Lifer

Let's see, cons, stress, headaches, working almost everyday, being under enormous pressure to get done on time, getting yelled at by upper management, getting yelled at by workers.. Ok, the pros...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................lol

Haz

Just curious .... Are you a supervisor?

UPS Lifer

Ok so as title says after 5/6 months there my preload supe asked if I would like to be a supe for him . So I'm asking here what are the pros and cons to loading and being a supe ... and the pay ? Thanks

I had an operation that had 35 supervisors. I hired at least 40 in a 5 year span. I probably interviewed around 200 candidates.

I was looking for 5-6 months minimum belt experience and going through a peak season if possible. Again - you want to be successful and you need to understand the job.

In California - because of the lawsuit, the supervisors are paid a salary based on 27.5 hours of pay. The salary is adjusted based on an hourly rate if the supervisor works over the fixed amount of hours. There is a formula that is similar to the way Teamsters get paid for OT with a slight variation.

Each district has a standard base salary you start at based on your position. After that, your raises are determined by performance, experience, education and amount of responsibility.

If there is a pool of candidates, your time frame will be where the interviewer - usually the manager of the operation has ranked you in relation to the other candidates. You could be top on the list and someone new gets interviewed and does better than you.

Don't get your feelings hurt if you are not the top person, just keep plugging away to improve your overall skill set.

Your Manager and FT supervisor play an extremely important role in your development. If they have little training skill you are on your own. If they are good trainers than you will have an edge up on the rest of the field.

The same can be said about you as a supervisor also. Remember where you came from and show humility and respect for the folks you work with.

I personally think that being a PT supervisor is one of the best things you can have (besides education) on a resume, especially if you are not going to stay with UPS. If you are going to stay with UPS make sure you become a driver. You should drive at least 2 years before considering FT mgmt. Most drivers qualify your experience by how long you drove for. I drove for over 5 years on every type of route we have.

UPS Lifer

No.. Now for my scolding..

No scolding!!! I know that you are looking at the job from the outside and this is what you see. It is good for you to share you're perspective. I would just add that info in the future.

It is important for someone to know every aspect and perception to make a good decision or exercise good judgement!

This is part of our problem.... We are to quick to slap someone on the wrist or worse, when we should be encouraging and supportive.

HazMatMan

No scolding!!! I know that you are looking at the job from the outside and this is what you see. It is good for you to share you're perspective. I would just add that info in the future.

It is important for someone to know every aspect and perception to make a good decision or exercise good judgement!
Just seems like every part-time sup I talk to hates their job.

pkg handler

ok update i had the intial meeting with my supervisor and some other supervisor and signed some papers and was graded on some factors 1-5 and it asked for school and i have attended community coll. around here but it was never nothing serious just some classes over 2 yrs probaly . so i wrote it down i hope they dont think i have a degree of some sort or if thats what they assumed .. so while doing a background check will schools be checked and if it comes back no degree or what not ..( i doubt im even on record there anymore ..it was only some classes ) will it be an isue i never said i had a degree of any sort but they may have thought or assumed that i've been there 2 yrs so i may have 1 ...?

W

westsideworma

Just seems like every part-time sup I talk to hates their job.

It depends on your boss. Are there some days I wish I had stayed hourly? Sure, because I controlled how bad my day was then (for the most part). Now my day can suck from things I have no control over (late loads, too many unloaders/sorters with no help or too much help on the slides, etc). I mean are there a lot of ridiculous things? You bet there are,like knowing every possible piece of information (keys, E.S.T.A., commitment statement etc) verbatim, no paraphrasing or be sent home comes to mind. Our manager's mindset is if you can't speak it you aren't doing it. If that's true then I have a problem...I have been doing my own brakes for years, but could I recite/write him the ford service manuals instructions for the procedure verbatim? nope, absolutely not, that doesn't change the fact that I know how to do my own brakes.

By and large its not a bad job, its just all the busywork that upper management doesn't want to deal with. I've been luck I've had to cover pulls most of this and last week (vacations, people quitting, people just not coming in without calling etc) so its been rather satisfying lately (doing a pull, not the quittinf etc haha). IF you've got the respect of your people it becomes a great job. I've done every job in the building (except SPA) though was predominantly a loader before supervision and my people know that. So when I say something needs to be done or I coach them on a possible better way to do something, they at least try it because they know I've done it. At the same time I respect them by not demanding impossible goals that I know I could not meet myself. As I told one of the newer supes, respect isn't given, its earned. When you've worked here a month and decide to be a supe, no one is going to listen to you because other than theoretical knowledge, you have no idea what you're doing and they know it so why would they listen? I was a loader for 3+ years on one of the heaviest pickoffs in the building sweating it out with them through all the BS and impossible standards. Now I supervise the line I used to load on and its really not bad, everyone helps when I need it, digs in when I ask that of them and in return try to show appreciation towards them when applicable (took my old line out to breakfast before for meeting our service goals during peak etc).

Its give and take, give your people the knowledge and tools to be successful then let them take care of the rest.

UPS Lifer

ok update i had the intial meeting with my supervisor and some other supervisor and signed some papers and was graded on some factors 1-5 and it asked for school and i have attended community coll. around here but it was never nothing serious just some classes over 2 yrs probaly . so i wrote it down i hope they dont think i have a degree of some sort or if thats what they assumed .. so while doing a background check will schools be checked and if it comes back no degree or what not ..( i doubt im even on record there anymore ..it was only some classes ) will it be an isue i never said i had a degree of any sort but they may have thought or assumed that i've been there 2 yrs so i may have 1 ...?

I can tell you that Security does a thorough background check for criminal record. If you lie about anything else you could eventually lose your job if it is researched.

The idea of PT is to go to school. UPS encourages part-timers to go to school and get an education. So continue with your education!!!!

This should not be an issue.

pkg handler

I can tell you that Security does a thorough background check for criminal record. If you lie about anything else you could eventually lose your job if it is researched.

The idea of PT is to go to school. UPS encourages part-timers to go to school and get an education. So continue with your education!!!!

This should not be an issue.

yea i will be starting school on a regular basis in september they asked for any other previous schooling and i said i did community for 2 yrs .. but it was off and on and about 5 classes-10 over that time span it wasnt anything that accumalted credits it was just like programs and such ... but i think they assume i went full for 2 yrs and that i have some kind of degree , when she said background check all they asked me was of any felonies or criminal record

UPS Lifer

yea i will be starting school on a regular basis in september they asked for any other previous schooling and i said i did community for 2 yrs .. but it was off and on and about 5 classes-10 over that time span it wasnt anything that accumalted credits it was just like programs and such ... but i think they assume i went full for 2 yrs and that i have some kind of degree , when she said background check all they asked me was of any felonies or criminal record

UPS does not assume you have a degree UNLESS you give them that impression. Based on the way you write the above statement, it seems to me you may have worded it to look like you completed 2 years.

Don't get defensive...just keep that in mind and if or when the subject comes up in the future, be very clear of your previous educational experience.

There are a lot of folks that get a 2 year degree and think it means something. As far as I am concerned, it means you have two years of college. If you want a degree plan on getting a Bachelor of Science or Arts in the field that you would like to go into. Your school counselor can help with this if you are not sure.

I am a big advocate of the community college system. Get all your basic educational requirements out of the way at this level. The cost is relatively inexpensive compared to fulfilling the requirements at a 4 year institution. Get only upper division classes at the 4 year institution.

rod

Retired 22 years
Exactly when did getting a college degree become a necessary thing to getting just about any job. It used to be a high school education was enough unless you wanted to become a doctor or lawyer. Is the K - 12 system so screwed up that they are turning out graduates that can't sell cars now or manage a few people delivering boxes? I would bet that 90% of all college grads aren't working in the the field they went to college for. I've got a 34 year old nephew that just graduated from a big name college that is happier than hell waiting tables at a local Applebees. It just boggles my mind the amount of $$$ his folks and grandparents spent keeping his sorry :censored2: in school. He has a degree in a foriegn language but couldn't care less if he used it as that would mean moving to the big city and he don't want to do that.:whiteflag:

W

westsideworma

Exactly when did getting a college degree become a necessary thing to getting just about any job. It used to be a high school education was enough unless you wanted to become a doctor or lawyer. Is the K - 12 system so screwed up that they are turning out graduates that can't sell cars now or manage a few people delivering boxes? I would bet that 90% of all college grads aren't working in the the field they went to college for. I've got a 34 year old nephew that just graduated from a big name college that is happier than hell waiting tables at a local Applebees. It just boggles my mind the amount of $$$ his folks and grandparents spent keeping his sorry :censored2: in school. He has a degree in a foriegn language but couldn't care less if he used it as that would mean moving to the big city and he don't want to do that.:whiteflag:

I've got a degree and I'm working on my second...neither of which pertain to what I do at UPS lol. Well my second one does but I don't think I'll be pursuing FT management here so it really doesn't haha :surprised:

pkg handler

ok i taked to my supervisor and told him of any mix up up ... that i just took some programs there for personalbtraining and some nutrition .. ( thats what i wanted to get my personal trainer license ) and he said yea its cool he'll let the full time supe know and it shouldnt be a problem ..so thats good

mathematics

ok i taked to my supervisor and told him of any mix up up ... that i just took some programs there for personalbtraining and some nutrition .. ( thats what i wanted to get my personal trainer license ) and he said yea its cool he'll let the full time supe know and it shouldnt be a problem ..so thats good

pkg handler

mathematics all you did was quote my post...? well i never said a college education or degree was needed at all it was just asked if i had any experience or attendded college on the initial sheet me and my supervisors went through for the p.t application.. all i know is i scored a 5 on an oral test ..? whatever that means

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Out on the corner a block from our building is a sign that reads "Dead End". I think they put it there, not because the road ends, but to describe al part time sup opportunities!