P/T Supervisor help

Corbyn Heppe

So at the beginning of this week against all recommendations not to, I took a position as a p/t supervisor. I am still learning how to deal with the whirlwind of paperwork and what my job duties actually are. My big question though is what work am I allowed to do I was hired rather quickly as a supervisor (I only worked at ups for 39 actual working days before getting promoted) so I am a little unsure as to what I am/ am not supposed to be doing and what I am/ am not allowed to do. I have been threatened to be grieved twice already my goal is to avoid getting fired after my first week on the job.

upschuck

Any bargaining unit work, but FT sups will put the pressure on for you to do the work. Not ever seen a sup fired because of a sup working grievance

PT Car Washer

So at the beginning of this week against all recommendations not to, I took a position as a p/t supervisor. I am still learning how to deal with the whirlwind of paperwork and what my job duties actually are. My big question though is what work am I allowed to do I was hired rather quickly as a supervisor (I only worked at ups for 39 actual working days before getting promoted) so I am a little unsure as to what I am/ am not supposed to be doing and what I am/ am not allowed to do. I have been threatened to be grieved twice already my goal is to avoid getting fired after my first week on the job.
As a PT sup you can do any bargaining unit work. Don't worry the Union well back you before a PT Union member.

Steamtrain

Assuming you are a preload supervisor, it's fairly simple to learn your job duties. I had the same struggle as you did when i became a PT sup. Don't do Union work such as moving boxes, loading/unloading unless it's for training or safety reasons. For more information on that refer to the contract. The Suplemental agreement to the National UPS agreement article 46, section 3 has a section on supervisors working. Don't be threaten by grievances, if you're not doing anything to violate the contract, illegal or unethical you have no reason to feel threaten. Your best friend is the UPS policy book and reading through the current contract. You will learn to defend your self properly as well as how to deal with situations such as the ones you've encountered. Learn learn learn, respect your people and they will respect you! I love management, don't get discouraged and keep on moving!

It doesn't worry you that they promoted you after only 39 days? Luckily for you pt sups
Don't do much anymore.

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
Read your policy book, learn who you can depend on, and follow seniority. Learn as much about the operation as you can and build a good working relationship with your ft sups. Without my pt sups my preload would never get down on time. I'm not sure what size operation your in, but that makes a huge difference.

Read your policy book, learn who you can depend on, and follow seniority. Learn as much about the operation as you can and build a good working relationship with your ft sups. Without my pt sups my preload would never get down on time. I'm not sure what size operation your in, but that makes a huge difference.
But a pt sup today does a fraction of what they did 25 years ago. Especially in the preload.

Steamtrain

Less than half of what they did 25 years ago. Are they even involved in peak planning anymore?

Yes they are. As far as your statement of them doing less than what they did 25 years ago, that is wrong. Technology has made it more demanding for them, specially in buildings where they are more technologically advance. They are expected to get done more in less time while staying in compliance with labor regulations.

Yes they are. As far as your statement of them doing less than what they did 25 years ago, that is wrong. Technology has made it more demanding for them, specially in buildings where they are more technologically advance. They are expected to get done more in less time while staying in compliance with labor regulations.
Were you around 25 years ago when every address had to be looked up on alpha charts? A preloaders MAR was 220 pph.

PT Car Washer

Were you around 25 years ago when every address had to be looked up on alpha charts? A preloaders MAR was 220 pph.
And the job was still much easier 30 years ago. No over 70's , no blown out cars everyday, no bad PAL labels or flipped PAL labels, pay was $.50/hr less then top driver pay, wrapped up by 8:00 AM everyday, etc. etc.

TheFigurehead

It doesn't worry you that they promoted you after only 39 days?

That's what UPS does… They have to. 95% of new employees would never take a supervisor position after about 3-6 months. Once you've been there long enough, you see the place for what it is.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Private message either @UpstateNYUPSer (company kiss ass) or @Monkey Butt (ex corporate company stooge)...both can give you some good solid advice....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've seen on more than one occasion guy sups hitting on the one token hot hourly or pt. sup trying to get a "hook-up"....ups uses all of these pt'ers to cut down on full time mgt...

CanOSup

One of them
Actually they do plenty, A sort would not run without them!
I also disagree. However I would agree if the statement was "A PT Sup can be an asset to the operation if that person is motivated, willing to learn, and takes direction well." A PT sup position is a grooming job to select FT Supervisors. If they were Vital to the success of the entire operation you would not see people promoted after 1-4 months with UPS.