Pace of life for a UPS driver.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Working nights in feeders is so much different than the package car days. If you're dragging and getting drowsy, time is like being back in high school, just dying, waiting for that clock to hit the end of 6TH hour. If you might be out on the road by yourself, driving down a dark, straight highway, you might question why you ever came back to feeders. Yeah, it's easy, but it can be tedious and lonely. Everything that package car wasn't.

But then, you have times when you're riding in a UPS convoy and the crackle of the CB makes you forget all about being tired. The :censored2: flies, the stories get exaggerated, but it's all good, because you're thumping with the good guys. The hive is safer than anything out on the road, because from front to back, we've got each other's backs. And on nights like this, you think, this is how it's supposed to be.

Naturally, management HATES it when we ride together. But, hey, who's surprised, right?

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
Leave for work Monday morning, get up Saturday morning, then live a normal life for a couple of days. Repeat cycle again for 30 or more years.

S

serenity now

during my part time years with ups, i had an 8 year stretch that i worked at a very large distribution center during the day * 10 hours on a forklift / reachtruck, under those awful industrial pink lights with no windows anywhere to give a reference to natural daylight * those days were v e r y long, especially knowing that when you left you were headed home to eat supper, right to bed, and back out at ups at 3 am

interesting side note to time passing so quickly as a driver: i have had a few instances where i suppose i was working "in the zone" * time just seemed to slow down although i was working productively * i was very aware of the sensation because i would check my watch against the diad clock and my phone clock just to be sure *

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
during my part time years with ups, i had an 8 year stretch that i worked at a very large distribution center during the day * 10 hours on a forklift / reachtruck, under those awful industrial pink lights with no windows anywhere to give a reference to natural daylight * those days were v e r y long, especially knowing that when you left you were headed home to eat supper, right to bed, and back out at ups at 3 am

interesting side note to time passing so quickly as a driver: i have had a few instances where i suppose i was working "in the zone" * time just seemed to slow down although i was working productively * i was very aware of the sensation because i would check my watch against the diad clock and my phone clock just to be sure *

Slogging through mud. It feels like it is taking forever to get done. Then, at the end of the day, you look at your stop count and piece count and realize no freaking wonder it took so long. :knockedout: