pack handler questions

i applied for the 4am to 9am pre load shift. i heard its the hardest one lol. o well i can handle i work pretty much the same exact thing were i work now, except i dont get paid as much and its alot farther lol.

The only thing is, at the hub I'm at, IDK about the rest of the country; we have bid sheets up to switch from Midnight to Twilight or Preload and the sheets are really full, Ups hires from within so if I am correct I believe they have to offer the preload jobs to current employees at a rate of 6:1 to the outside hires. So that may be why they haven't called yet. I wouldn't worry too much, pretty soon they are going to have trouble keeping new hires so you will be able to get right in. Good Luck

LKLND3380

hello im new here and was wondering if i could get some answers. i applied back in early june the 11th to be exact, and i knew that was a bad time to apply but hey it never hurts, as i figured i havent been contacted and was wondering when does ups start hiring for pt pre load handler jobs. also does ups look at old apps or do they prefer people who submit new apps more. just thought i would ask.

"In general..." they had a freeze on new hires until August because anyone hired before the end of July could get health insurance under the old contract... Anyone hired after falls under the new contract and they have to wait longer and so does their families...

Some people were hired but that was only under extreme circumstances... Those people need to check their start dates and seniority dates...

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Meh, people walk out during work hours and don't get fired at my UPS. They will basically hire anyone...so I dunno why you didn't get called or whatever.

Heh, that happened this week with a worker about 4 months into his trail period.

It was like he was there one second and up and vanished 20 minutes before last rev was called. Boy oh boy did the packages pill up sky high. And guess what, he came back to work the next day and got nothing more then a few words from the line sup. WIth a turn over rate of 70% in our building, you basically have to commit murder to lose you job.

Even then I would think, they would still reconsider, lulz.

newmanfan1

well i finally got the call on thursday and they want me to come in and do a tour, they also told me to bring my social security number and a id so i hope that means something good. atleast ive finally been contacted.

skir

Los Angeles CA
Apply for any position shift available get your foot in the door. Once your in move to any position you want that's available. Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seniority sucks, there should be another way to reward people.

UPS is far too large of a company to allow center management teams to assign its employees work based upon factors other than seniority. Seniority is simply a measure of longevity, not performance. Seniority is used to bid delivery routes and jobs within the center/hub. Seniority does not affect pay once an employee has gone through progression--the only difference between a 3 yr FT driver and a 33 yr are the number of weeks vacation. Assignment of work without a seniority system in place would open a can of worms better left closed.

Seniority sucks when you first start your career but becomes your best friend when you are nearing its end. I have 11 yrs to go until I have my 30 and I am #10 on the package car seniority list and will be #9 in 4 months.