Package Car Dreams....

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
How about if the cars were loaded according to PAS? In our center, it appears that the loaders follow PAS for 1/2 the load, then are told they have 5 minutes to finish & just pitch the remainder of the packages anywhere in the car. I spend NO LESS THAN 40 minutes a day just finding packages in the car.

PAS would be great, if it were followed.

BigBrownSanta

I like my old 800 pretty much the way it's set up now. I've driven some of the newer automatics with power steering and I'd rather have PC I drive now. The higher step doesn't bother me since I use the hand rail. The roll up rear door is much better than the swing open doors.

While AC would be nice, I don't see that ever happening, so one of the things I would like to have is a ventilation system that actually works for the cargo area. Something with fan-forced fresh air from outside and another fan that blows the hot air out the back of the truck.

The other thing I would like to see is mirrors that don't loosen up and have to be re-tightened every 2 days.

alexfo7o

You do understand that supervisors make more than those they supervise? One of the reasons that I left a very easy driving job. Of course, with my ability to read and write, I was overqualified to be a teamster.

NOW NOW Brown Cow. Why not quit BAD mouthing the Teamsters!

trickpony1

SuperSup-
I'm guessing you went into management for the same reason everyone else does.........to get out of "your" package car.
quailfied?.....doesn't matter
people skills?.....obviously not
arrogant?.....let's take a vote
able to answer "yes" to commands directed at you?.....a pre-requisite.

over9five

Staff member
SuperSup-
I'm guessing you went into management for the same reason everyone else does.........to get out of "your" package car.

Ha! I thought you'd say, "because you couldn't do a Teamster job". Let's face it, we've all heard that reason!

Where I am, we have a few sups who actually have driven for themselves in the past. I learned more from one sup in my 40 hr non-productive training than in tractor trailer school. These are sups you can respect!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Is it true to become a full-time supervisor (operations) you must complete 30 days on road satisfactorily? How does this work and does it apply to all jobs, or only within package realm? Or does it vary region to region?

Braveheart

Just another dictator. Remember God watches all that you do. And he controls the elevator both up and down.

So all of us older drivers should be replaced by 20 year old Mexicans right? They are the hardest working people on the planet. They could even take your non-union job too.

We should all work smart and safe.

Is it true to become a full-time supervisor (operations) you must complete 30 days on road satisfactorily? How does this work and does it apply to all jobs, or only within package realm? Or does it vary region to region?
It used to be true for any supervision job, but no more. Our latest full time O/C sup was an OMS with zero driving experience. The one before that was a P/T preload sup, drove for about 20 days during peak on a seasonal route in an automatic tranny truck (said sup still can not drive a manual shift)and on to full time O/C.

W

westsideworma

I don't think the package cars are the reason that your knees are sore.

no no thats the running joke on how someone in our sector gets promoted, not the hourlies.

People like you give management at all corporations a bad name. You say your superior...I'm sure in your center thats in title only. In the words of my favorite movie.."people don't follow titles." Good luck, I hope you don't suffer the same fate as a former IE supe in our area who had a similar attitude...picked a fight with an hourly, hourly "dispatched" him, both fired, hourly got his job back, due to witnesses. Needless to say, no one in management or the teamsters misses him...still don't and the company is doing just fine without him, just like they will without you when the time comes.

Respect isn't given, its earned. Something no one apparently taught you. My people listen because they know I can do the job and know a lot about it. Should I give them a different set of trucks to load when they call them theirs? Don't be stupid, thats all that it is. To you I'm sure they're numbers. Well listen, if you treat them as numbers, you'll never make yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

beentheredonethat

It used to be true that every supervisor no matter what position they took had to ride for at least 30 days. I was a SP for 8 months, I don't think after 30 days you really get what driving is all about. I started in the summer too and I think it's important to see peak from a drivers eye. I think it's important for people going into mgmt to see what life is like as a driver and to see the customers face to face. I know some folks think the only people who go into supv is that they can't hack the driving job. But, I had worked at UPS while going to college and got my BS in Engineering and wanted to use that degree. I went driving wth the intention of getting promoted to mgmt.

beentheredonethat

It's funny you say that. In my center, when a driver says MY package car, the next day he has a different package car. It helps make the point that I have a fleet of cars, and what I do with them is up to my discretion.

SS,
I don't know if you are really serious or just trying to piss people off. As a 20 year UPS Manager, I can tell you that doing things just to piss people off will come back to bite you in the ass. I've seen a lot of mgmt in UPS and usually the ones who last the longest and do the best long term are the ones who treat their drivers with respect and let them know what is expected of them and it's something that is reasonable to expect. Also, for the few drivers who need it, they are serious and can and do discipline. Chaging a car to prove a point is ridiculous. Besides the fact of pissing a driver off, how do you have accountability when a driver has a lot of breakdowns that are caused by poor driving, such as riding the clutch?? Cars should be moved around to ensure the right route has the right car. Two factors are the miles the route drives matched up to cars that have good mpg and that the car is the right size for the route. Those are the big two and I know there are other reasons that pop up here and there. But moving cars to irk the drivers isn't a good reason.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You must respect MY ATORATEY!
Seriously, you must respect mah authoritah.
cartman-respect-my-authority-69944.jpg

browniehound

I would like power-steering and the low step in every package car. If UPS can afford to put sensors and GPS in every package car the they can upgrade the fleet with power-steering vehicles.

Think about how absurd it is to have a fleet "chock" full of non-power steering manual transmission trucks in which they install sensors to make sure your door is closed while the vehicle is in gear???

Its insanity. You might suggest that I'm a little peeved because I can't cheat anymore. If I follow the methods I have nothing to worry about. I'm not peeved I'm just a little dissapointed. I don't follow the methods 100%. Nobody does and nobody can.

I always wear my seatbelt, but I fasten it as I begin to drive. I like to keep my bulkhead door closed. I always do when I'm away from the vehicle and on every main road or a trip lasting more than a minute. I do keep it open against the rules when I do certain house-calls. I know I'm not the only one. On the quiet street where I deliver to house numbers 2,6,7,18,29 and 35 I leave the door open. Crucify me, I'm only sorry that I can't do it anymore.

I suspect someone will reply that I'm working unsafe. Do you believe this? It may be unsafe, but in peak 2005 I was forced to drive in white-out conditions for 3 hours. I asked to come in and got no response. I couldn't recognized the other UPS truck 20 feet away from me that was headed toward me. We were forced to work and expected to work safely in these condtitions (any accident would have been judged "avoidable" surely) but I can't leave the bulk head open for 6 residential stops?

I have to disagree. I look forward to the response.

sdf6hr2

You do understand that supervisors make more than those they supervise?

you obviously don't work at a facility with a college tuition program. alot of the supervisors in my area were 4 years old when i started @ups. i sincerely doubt they have surpassed my pay in 3 semesters time.

Last edited:

browniehound

Mr SuperSup,

I think you are way out of line. I know you are probably a troll and are here to flame everyone. If you are legitimate I'm just very happy that you are unlike every single (I'm talking 100%) supervisor or manager that I have ever dealt with.

You boast that you make more than your drivers. Well I would hope so since you are their boss! Also, I hope you are smarter than your drivers since its your desicions that make or break their day.

My feeling is I don't want to make more money or be smarter than you if I HAVE to do your job. I'd rather do MY job and make a little less and plead ignorance to my SUPERIORS including you when its called for. When I punch out I don't worry about UPS. When you leave, I'm sure you do. I hope the extra $1000/year is worth it!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Its insanity. You might suggest that I'm a little peeved because I can't cheat anymore. If I follow the methods I have nothing to worry about. I'm not peeved I'm just a little dissapointed. I don't follow the methods 100%. Nobody does and nobody can.

I'm with you Browniehound

I'm dissappointed as well. There is no way anyone will be underallowed anymore. No chance. Any delivery speed some drivers attained in tight neighborhoods will be cut in half. Do we really think our min-max will be pared down to accommodate this micromanagement? NOPE

I do disagree with the last sentence. There are people that follow the methods 100%. These are the ones that get harrassed and rode with because they're 1 hr paid over plus.

NJ12hrday

It's funny you say that. In my center, when a driver says MY package car, the next day he has a different package car. It helps make the point that I have a fleet of cars, and what I do with them is up to my discretion.

This is a little late but, you don't know your place in the UPS food chain. They'll throw you out in a heartbeat. I've seen about 20 FT sups and mangers get fired, quit or go to DHL in the last 2 yrs. They'll move you to an obscure bldg. in your district or some **** preload somewhere. You guys still don't understand that you eat your own. your just jealous that there's no loyalty in management. Your lucky i'm not in your center, because the only gift for an attitude like yours is for me to drop the anchor and kill your numbers. Can you say 3 hrs over B**ch. You'd be bringing a diaper to the confrence call with the DM. I wonder we're you'll be after peak. :happy-very: