Package car driver ages??

satellitedriver

I started driving at 33. I am 54 now.
This job is more mental than physical. If you have good body mechanic skills ,the physical nature of the job is no problem.
The pressure for preformance can get to you.
If the pressure gets to you, the first thing that suffers is safety.
NEVER ,and I will repeat, Never let your gaurd down when it comes to safety.
When you are driving, when you are stepping into or out of your car, when you grab a pkg, when you are walking, when you are speaking to a customer, when you are fighting off gaurd dogs, when you are hot and when you are cold.
Fill in the blanks ,ect...
If you are not safe in your actions, only two things can happen.
Either, you hurt yourself or you hurt someone else.
PAX
P.S.
I am sticking around til UPS stops paying me or I hit the lottery.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I started with ups at 34 yrs old, and I turn 50 in Sept. I learned to pace myself a long time ago. I have one kid left at home and she just started high school so I'm looking at at least 8 more years. You can do what you have to. Stay in shape, use the methods, be safe, and you'll be fine.

upsdude

I came in as an off the street hire (driver) at 29, just turned 50. My goal is to get through the next 5 years then take it a month at a time.

My seniority would enable me to get an easier route (physically) but that’s not the best option for me. My route is a good mixture of resi/commercial and provides a good workout to fight off pounds, cholesterol and those other ailments that plague some folks my age.

wornoutupser

Hired on preload Jan 84, driving March 85. I still work preload from time to time. I am now 45,beat to pieces and tired of working till 9:30 every night. I guess I will work till the ambulance pulls me out of the truck dead!

kingOFchester

Thanks everyone!! You guys are great!!! If half the rats at the center are as good as you guys, I am sure I will do fine. Thanks again!! I wish you all the very best that can be had at Brown!!

LittleBrownie

I started when I was 18 working on the preload and started driving when I turned 21. With 6 years in already, I would like to think I would be able to retire with my pention at around the age of 50. But recently in my local union (not sure if its nation wide) they said that now you can't recieve your pention until the age of 57. 24 years old now with 33 years to go and with 6 years in already ... I in for the long hawl.:bored:

disneyworld

I started when I was 18 working on the preload and started driving when I turned 21. With 6 years in already, I would like to think I would be able to retire with my pention at around the age of 50. But recently in my local union (not sure if its nation wide) they said that now you can't recieve your pention until the age of 57. 24 years old now with 33 years to go and with 6 years in already ... I in for the long hawl.:bored:
I believe that to be correct, which is why I need to get out. Look on the bright side-you'll have almost 40 years in,if you make it that long.

Big Babooba

After 9 yrs of part time (my choice), I went full time at 29. I just marked my 20th yr on July 1st. I may be retired now. I broke my ankle on the job in February. I have no idea if and when I will go back.

mis_load

Started driving in 77 right off the street turn 53 this past March. I have lost a few steps over the years, just can't imaging doing anything else. Will retire when I say I've had enough. Thirty years and counting. You will do fine at UPS, good luck.

DS

Fenderbender
After 9 yrs of part time (my choice), I went full time at 29. I just marked my 20th yr on July 1st. I may be retired now. I broke my ankle on the job in February. I have no idea if and when I will go back.
KING
This is what sattelitedriver was talking about.You have to be constantly aware of what might happen.I stepped on a roll of fabric a few years ago and it put me out of comission for a few weeks.One mistake can end it either for awhile or forever.You have to have more common sense than a human has.Us ups drivers are a cross between Spiderman,Daredevil,and Superman.Oh and throw in a touch of Flash,Mr.Fantastic,and Batman .Management will expect you to be Iron man on occasion but in does not fall into the job qualifictions so grieve it if they do.

A

Aaron Y

Street hire 2 years ago at 32 years old. I am still at the bottom of the barrel at our center. I will have to work until 62.

satellitedriver

KING
This is what sattelitedriver was talking about.You have to be constantly aware of what might happen.I stepped on a roll of fabric a few years ago and it put me out of comission for a few weeks.One mistake can end it either for awhile or forever.You have to have more common sense than a human has.Us ups drivers are a cross between Spiderman,Daredevil,and Superman.Oh and throw in a touch of Flash,Mr.Fantastic,and Batman .Management will expect you to be Iron man on occasion but in does not fall into the job qualifictions so grieve it if they do.

I am IRON MAN,(well, at least I use to be)
sounds like you stole all the comic books I grew up reading in the 50's and 60's.
They really had an effect on my persona.
Just the other day, I pulled out my 1950's Boy Scout handbook and I realized what an impact it had on my life.
The thing that struck me was a paragraph on the motto, "Be Prepared".
It said to always be prepared to do the "rattlesnake jump".
Basically, it was stating to always to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to react to them..
The lesson was learned and has been used ever since.
It saved my life in the coal mine and in my service at UPS.
The funny part to me was when I read ,to be able to do the rattlesnake jump at any moment.
While backpacking in the Grand Canyon on a unmaintained trail(like an idiot, alone) a Rattled sounded off next to my right foot.
I didn't jump, I flew.
Back to the thread,
It takes constant effort to stay focused in the moment.
The snake is always waiting in the grass to strike.
PAX

DS

Fenderbender
I am IRON MAN,(well, at least I use to be)

Back to the thread,
It takes constant effort to stay focused in the moment.
The snake is always waiting in the grass to strike.
PAX
I know I`m taking this thread way far away from
the original concept but you made me think of the one thing thing that brought me back down to earth back when I didn't know what to believe way back when was taoism.Chinese philosophy made me realize that religion is in the heart and has no denominations.There is only one truth and its infallible.
A young man enters the masters room during a party and asks why he is inside on such a beautiful day,he answers,a wise man knows when its nice outside ,yet he stays inside and rereads daredevil #127

satellitedriver

I know I`m taking this thread way far away from
the original concept but you made me think of the one thing thing that brought me back down to earth back when I didn't know what to believe way back when was taoism.Chinese philosophy made me realize that religion is in the heart and has no denominations.There is only one truth and its infallible.
A young man enters the masters room during a party and asks why he is inside on such a beautiful day,he answers,a wise man knows when its nice outside ,yet he stays inside and rereads daredevil #127
Maybe, you should read Lao-tzu's "The way of Tao".
I have had it for decades. When I am really beat down and mentally tired at the end of the day, I read one verse and contemplate on what he was try to communicate.
What it really does for me is to force myself to realize that I am a part of a whole.
OK, now lets get back to the thread.
PAX

DS

Fenderbender
Maybe, you should read Lao-tzu's "The way of Tao".
I have had it for decades. When I am really beat down and mentally tired at the end of the day, I read one verse and contemplate on what he was try to communicate.
What it really does for me is to force myself to realize that I am a part of a whole.
OK, now lets get back to the thread.
PAX
thats the book that made me see the truth...and I started appreciating George Harrison more

area43

Thanks!!
I hope I am not to old!! I can tell you that I am VERY fit. I am use to working 70 hours a week and being on my feet all day. I move a lot of furniture and can lift dressers...TV’s and a lot more items well over 100lbs myself. I work out everyday (running a minimum of an hour a day). Now, I do understand working as a delivery guy will be A LOT more then what I am doing now, but I am not just office worker. Hard labor and working in extreme conditions is not new to me. That said, I do agree that starting at 35 is not ideal, but unfortunately I can't turn back time. Reason for working for UPS....well, I have been self employed since I was 18. It has been a good business but the furniture market has gotten softer and softer over the years. The $'s are not what they once were. Also, no retirement..no 401k and the stress of owning a business is more then anyone would know. I understand that a driver probably has a lot of stress too, but I am ready to punch a clock and not worry about being sued every time a customer comes in my store. Worry about the lease not be renewed. Worry about paying all the bills that go along with the business. I know what I will hear next from upsers..."Working for UPS is stressful too" And I am not arguing that one bit. But being in a union has its benefits, just as being self employed. I am just ready to give up the stress I have endured over the last 18 years for a entirely new form of stress for my next 30 years. I love to work. I hate sitting on my tush. I hate golfing and the like. I am most happy when I am on a mission. Just time for a new mission. hopefully someone can reassure me that I am not to old. Sorry to ramble. Thanks everyone!!

King, great attitude. I'll tell you this. It wasn't intill I hit 39 that I felt the wear and tear start to take hold. Pains in area's that I have never had before. For some the age might be different. I started at the age of 20 pt loader, than went driving at 23. I am 42 now. I am also type A and it appears you are too. I would go nuts at a desk job. Anyhow, my advice to you is work smarter and not harder. Its a marathon. Pace yourself. sincerely area 43

RedThunder

Started preload Feb of '88 at age 18.
Package Driver at 23. Drove for nearly 15 years.
Bid down to a 22.3 combo job. in January of this year.

Best decision i ever made. I come in on the preload and work a few hours and then shuttle misloads between drivers the rest of the day. Easiest job i ever had at UPS. I was on the feeder qualified list since '98 but decided to take my name off the list. I'm the only 22.3 in our center so now i can bid all my vacations, personals, sickdays by myself, which is great.

The cut in pay was a little hard to get used to, but it was worth it.

Channahon

Started driving at 27, went into management at 28, retired after 28 years

Retired at 55. Needless to say, couldn't be happier.

Hope to have at least 28 years of retirement!!!