package car driver drug testing?

stoliohranj

Lucked into a spot as a package delivery driver for peak this season. Took my DOT physical and to my surprise they didn't drug test me. What is the system for drug testing of package car drivers? Is it completely random, is it just when you ****-up, is it never? I like to enjoy a little pot on occasion but not enough to risk my position this peak.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not understand why they dont test us. Really. Im glad but for different reasons. I enjoy the fact that if I were tested, hair, urine, blood, whatever, I have no worry. Just have a drink instead of a joint, not at lunch etc. As long as it is illegal, it is just another way to get rid of people. Til it is legal, have a miller.
I think they only test if you have an accident or injury.

Used to work with a guy in package that was a big coke head. Never tested except in an accident investigation then, why start now? Have at it. Us feeder drivers will do all the pee`ing for you.

brown_trousers

Driving is probably not the right career choice for any recreational drug users. whether its right or wrong is beside the point. You'll be looking for a new job if UPS finds out.

JonFrum

Drug and alcohol testing is aimed at feeder drivers.

Package car drivers and inside employees are only subject to testing if they appear under the influence. Even if a package car driver gets in an auto accident, he is only tested if drugs or alcohol appeared to be a factor.

ARTICLE 35. EMPLOYEE’S BAIL, LICENSE, SUBSTANCE AND ALCOHOL TESTING
Section 3.8 Reasonable Cause Testing
Upon reasonable cause, UPS will require an employee to be tested for the use of controlled substances.

Reasonable cause is defined as an employee’s observable action, appearance, or conduct that clearly indicate the need for a fitness-for-duty medical evaluation.

The employee’s conduct must be witnessed by at least two (2) supervisors, if available. The witnesses must have received training in observing a person’s behavior to determine if a medical evaluation is required. . . . etc.

[Reasonable Cause Testing for alcohol is described in Section 4.6 with similar language.]

brown_trousers

Drug and alcohol testing is aimed at feeder drivers.

Package car drivers and inside employees are only subject to testing if they appear under the influence. Even if a package car driver gets in an auto accident, he is only tested if drugs or alcohol appeared to be a factor.

ARTICLE 35. EMPLOYEE’S BAIL, LICENSE, SUBSTANCE AND ALCOHOL TESTING
Section 3.8 Reasonable Cause Testing
Upon reasonable cause, UPS will require an employee to be tested for the use of controlled substances.

Reasonable cause is defined as an employee’s observable action, appearance, or conduct that clearly indicate the need for a fitness-for-duty medical evaluation.

The employee’s conduct must be witnessed by at least two (2) supervisors, if available. The witnesses must have received training in observing a person’s behavior to determine if a medical evaluation is required. . . . etc.

[Reasonable Cause Testing for alcohol is described in Section 4.6 with similar language.]

Like many other parts of our contract, this is unfortunately vague and subjective. What appears to one person as a belligerant drunkard , could appear to someone else as a upstanding sober person. There is no concrete wording here to define the reasonable cause.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So UPS has the right to test. There it is. I may not like it, but at least now everone knows when you could be subjected to it.

Sooner or later you have to put down the bong, Spicoli.

images

HomeDelivery

back to the OP, just be very focused at your driving during the job... u go into an accident & that's a definite time to go take the pee test...

ps, how did you land that temp job?

robot

Has A Large Member
Sometimes our dispatch or on road supes will be waiting at the guardshack telling us not to use the restroom because we are up for a sample

HomeDelivery

Driving is probably not the right career choice for any recreational drug users. whether its right or wrong is beside the point.

then, this is the best reply in this thread... either that, or do not use while you're a temp driver

I do not understand why they dont test us. Really. Im glad but for different reasons. I enjoy the fact that if I were tested, hair, urine, blood, whatever, I have no worry. Just have a drink instead of a joint, not at lunch etc. As long as it is illegal, it is just another way to get rid of people. Til it is legal, have a miller.
I think they only test if you have an accident or injury.
+1
great advice sometimes you have to do things in life when you get older. You might not believe in them but it's called growing up. Pot will get you nowhere at ups real fast if they have reasonable cause or you get hurt or are involved in an auto accident.