Package Car driver position.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
We don't have this in my center, but it seems that it can be a monkey on your shoulder. I'm not perfect but I follow methods pretty well, other then the bulk head in residential areas. Exactly what do they do to obtain this information from your day, and how is it then implemented?

In our center they post the stats daily for all to see, who backed up the most, who keyed in a DIAD while moving, etc...

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
So what is the discipline like for violators. Is like the sales leads, only enforced when corporate is riding lower management?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
So what is the discipline like for violators. Is like the sales leads, only enforced when corporate is riding lower management?

No one has been disciplined for telematics that ever stuck. The system is unreliable at best. The Union does not recognize it, same as the over/under time allowances.

browned out

A driver was fired b/c he/she wasn't wearing a seatbelt?? I thought our jobs were pretty secure unless you lied or stole from the company...

The telematics report showed a bonus driver in our district never unbuckled his seat belt the entire day. He just buckled it behind his back and sat on the wrong side of it. No problem; he is still working here. It will get you terminated if you don't make their numbers.

By the majority of posts in this thread; it seems that management has overrun or at least; is present on this website in an exponentially greater proportion to the companies hourly/ management ratio.

I do my route 100% by the methods. Telematics should not have been a first priority, multi million dollar investment.

Just another ass backwards thing the smarty pants get paid for at Big Brown.

Here are a couple examples of money better spent.

Power Generators. I have worked in 3 buildings in my 20+ years at UPS. Every single facility has lost power multiple times per year. Yesterday our center (a relatively small center) was with out power and it resulted in 100's of late air and 100's of missed business packages. One portable generator would be able to cover at least 10 building in my district Who knows how much it cost ups in manpower and more importantly lost customers. There is an upscale Italian restaurant in my neighborhood that has a small generator(more than enough to power a center). They are a micro business compared to UPS yet it seems they care a little more about their customers and their business than UPS.

Or how about spending a few of those millions of dollars spent on Telematics on cutting customers shipping costs. Volume Development visit us every Tuesday to tell us the woes of losing customers by a few cents a package to Fed Ex.

Telematics can be a productive tool at UPS but not as a first priority.

The white collars and wide ties are missing the big picture by a mile.

brownrod

I know that package car drivers work their butt off every day and make excellent cash but this site makes it seem like it's not worth it to become a driver (at least the direction the company is taking).

This job is nor for everybody. I like it. But I know a lot of good routes. Some routes are horrible. Some routes are great. If you get stuck on a horrible route then you will probably hate this job. If you get on a good route then you will probably love this job.

No telematics here.

brownrod

A driver was fired b/c he/she wasn't wearing a seatbelt?? I thought our jobs were pretty secure unless you lied or stole from the company...

It's a serious safety violation. They should fire people they catch without seatbelts. Even if they do get their job back.